You are here

Feedback for my Mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Feedback for my Mix

Postby VovaTrykoz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi everyone!

I am a complete newbie when it comes to mixing and mastering. I wanted to do a mix for one of my tracks that I wrote recently, but, due to my lack of experience I am not exactly sure which direction should I be moving in or what should I pay attention to.

Again, I barely know anything about mixing. I am familiar with various tools and plugins (EQ, compressors, distortion etc.) and know how they work, but I don't know what to focus on, my process of using them has been just trial and error.

That being said, any feedback is appreciated.

The track: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lule3o72qds2 ... x.wav?dl=0
VovaTrykoz

Re: Feedback for my Mix

Postby MaestroDT » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:50 pm

What kind of a vibe are you going for? Right now it has a sort of cool, jazzy jam band vibe going on. I just listened on my phone speakers and I'm still developing my own ear for EQ issues, so I won't comment on anything related to that, but the biggest thing that I did notice is that when the strings came in about halfway through the song (I think they were strings anyway) the volume seemed to double and I think if I had headphones on my ears might have gotten blown off :lol:

I think this needs to be addressed even before throwing on any compressors or EQ -- just the basic leveling of your tracks. If you have a very wide dynamic range all on the same track (like very quiet parts you feel aren't loud enough... and when you make it loud enough, the louder parts are too loud) you might want to add some volume automation -- turn it down for the loud parts and up for the quieter parts and THEN run it into your compressor.
MaestroDT
Poster
Listen to my music on YouTube or SoundCloud :)

Postby VovaTrykoz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm

MaestroDT wrote:Right now it has a sort of cool, jazzy jam band vibe going on.

Yep, this is pretty much the vibe I am going for. Those first four chords played by the Hammond organ is an idea I actually came up with during a jam session with a friend. So, when I expanded the track, I wanted the vibe to carry over.

When comes to volume: I'll definetely look into that. Since I knew my own music, I just turned the volume up and down manually on my computer because I knew when loud/quiet parts were coming. I didn't even think that someone else listening to this is at risk of getting their ears "blown off" :lol:. I'll make sure to go back into my mix and set everything to an appropriate level, so that I still have listeners with functioning ears after this one.
Thanks for your feedback!
VovaTrykoz

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Interesting track, :) as MaestroDT mentions the strings overwhelm things a bit when they come in and when the other sound kicks in at 1:38 that's a bit dominating. Because you've got the organ and piano spread nice and wide it doesn't need to be so loud to have its own space.
The other thing I'd say (from a quick listen on my laptop) is that everything (apart from the strings) sounds very distant. I like that small club vibe you've got but it sounds a bit like the band are all at the back of the stage and the listener is standing right at the other end of the room.
But otherwise I'd say that was coming together nicely so far.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby VovaTrykoz » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Thanks for takind the time to listen! I appreciate your feedback!
VovaTrykoz