You are here

Speaker Connection Help

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Speaker Connection Help

Postby JRocker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 am

Hi,

I have a Mackie 1202 vlz3 mixer console which I use purely for monitoring and controlling my monitor speakers. I recently bought an extra pair of near fields speakers. Now I have hooked up both pairs of speakers to my Mackie, but I noticed that both pairs are being controlled by same knobs and if I, for example, turn down the fader on one pair of speakers, the other pair do the same too. What I need to know is how do I get both pairs to work independently so that if I want to use one pair, I can turn down fader for the pair I am not wanting to use and only have the other pair working.

I have read the Mackie manual but for the life of me, can't figure out how to connect it this way. Any help much appreciated.

JR
JRocker
Regular

Re: Speaker Connection Help

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 am

Use the stereo channels to connect you’re sources to, route one to the Alt Out, the other to the Main Out, use the stereo channel fader knobs to control the levels.
Or use one channel as a source and switch between Alt and Main.
Or get yourself a nifty little monitor controller, may be the best option, it’s a waste of a mixer really, you can pick controllers up for well under £100.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:22 am

JRocker wrote:I have read the Mackie manual but for the life of me, can't figure out how to connect it this way. Any help much appreciated.

It's really not the right tool for that job. Buy a monitor controller.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:14 pm

4PDT switch in a tin?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Many of us have travelled the path where our mixer ended up as a monitor controller. At that point you have to consider why it is there at all.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:04 pm

The Elf wrote:Many of us have travelled the path where our mixer ended up as a monitor controller. At that point you have to consider why it is there at all.

Ah! Now, no missus! We ended up with TWO mixers. Back in the days when PCI cards were kings we had a Xenyx 802 amping up the mics and a Wharfedale "16-08" taking the signal from the 2496 card and a cassette deck.

Still have it all. The 802 went into a bedroom in 2012 to take the signal from the garden mics and barring the odd power cut it has been running ever since. Reckon it will see me out!

Dave. (actually, if OP bought ANOTHER mixer it would solve his problem but I dare not suggest that!)
ef37a
Jedi Poster