You are here

Would love your feedback on my mix!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Would love your feedback on my mix!

Postby TimeHalt » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:37 am

This mix is a work in progress but I'm starting to like how it sounds.

A few things I know I need to do:
-Guitar harmonics quieter in the choruses
-Toms quieter
-Work on the pitch correct in the intro

OTHERWISE, what sticks out to you and really needs to be adjusted? Be as brutally honest as you'd like :)

Thanks for any feedback

https://vocaroo.com/167fgzBpKpQw
TimeHalt
New here

Re: Would love your feedback on my mix!

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Thoughts as I listen.
The intro feels a bit drowned in its reverb, I'd be looking for more of the dry sound coming through - I think you can do that without losing the style you're going for.
The vocal tuning in the intro is a bit off but I'm guessing this is deliberate as it's fine once you get going.
I think the bass needs more volume when it comes in.
The electric guitar coming in at around 1 minute is very top heavy, I think it could do with a bit more mid to give it some weight.
Nice transitions between the verses and choruses with the guitar panning.
I love the little distorted vocal bits that drop in occasionally (e.g. 1:40).
Overall I think the vocal is a bit too proud for this style of song, I want more aggression from the guitars and bass. I'd be inclined to drop the overall vocal level and then use a bit of ducking on the guitars (if necessary) to allow them to rock out a bit more when the vocal gives them space.

Don't hear many protest songs these days, this is a good and very brave song I think. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Would love your feedback on my mix!

Postby TimeHalt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:02 am

blinddrew wrote:Thoughts as I listen.
The intro feels a bit drowned in its reverb, I'd be looking for more of the dry sound coming through - I think you can do that without losing the style you're going for.
The vocal tuning in the intro is a bit off but I'm guessing this is deliberate as it's fine once you get going.
I think the bass needs more volume when it comes in.
The electric guitar coming in at around 1 minute is very top heavy, I think it could do with a bit more mid to give it some weight.
Nice transitions between the verses and choruses with the guitar panning.
I love the little distorted vocal bits that drop in occasionally (e.g. 1:40).
Overall I think the vocal is a bit too proud for this style of song, I want more aggression from the guitars and bass. I'd be inclined to drop the overall vocal level and then use a bit of ducking on the guitars (if necessary) to allow them to rock out a bit more when the vocal gives them space.

Don't hear many protest songs these days, this is a good and very brave song I think. :thumbup:

Very helpful feedback, thank you!!

I'm going to work on the vocals a lot and redo some of the reverbs. I think I can get the guitars to pop a lot more.
TimeHalt
New here