You are here

Why doesn't my bounce sound like my active mix?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Why doesn't my bounce sound like my active mix?

Postby manwilde » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Well, I don´t think it is. Not for me, at least... as I said earlier, I´ll report my findings, but I´d love to know if anyone using Reaper has the same problem...
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:43 pm

I´ve replicated the test on my main audio computer and also tried different VSTi´s and audio files, and they all null... I wonder if this issue is audio interface related. I was using the internal soundcard on my old laptop.
manwilde
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:45 pm

manwilde wrote:I´ve replicated the test on my main audio computer and also tried different VSTi´s and audio files, and they all null... I wonder if this issue is audio interface related. I was using the internal soundcard on my old laptop.
Is this sending the render through the master bus or direct to the hardware outs?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Peevy wrote:Pesky plugins! :crazy:

Glad to hear problem solved! :thumbup:
Indeed, sort of... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:53 pm

blinddrew wrote:
manwilde wrote:I´ve replicated the test on my main audio computer and also tried different VSTi´s and audio files, and they all null... I wonder if this issue is audio interface related. I was using the internal soundcard on my old laptop.
Is this sending the render through the master bus or direct to the hardware outs?

Through the master bus. I´ve yet to try the hardware output test on the old laptop...
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:56 pm

...and I´ve just done it. Same result, they don´t null. There´s silence and then a low sound on a key change, always at the same spot...
manwilde
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:42 pm

blinddrew wrote:Aaaaand there it is! The "Doh! :headbang: " moment.
Acustica Taupe also does a funny analogue-ish thing but in quite a pronounced way. Not as much as 8 channels of BX but enough.

I still think it's a bit weird that there's a difference between a track being routed directly to the output and one being routed through the master bus (with no FX).

Anyway, I think I'm done here. Time to go and sort out those drums to keep James Perrett happy! ;)

When you say ‘with no FX’ are there literally no FX, or are there FX that have been bypassed? Does Reaper have an inbuilt ‘channel strip’ that appears separately from the FX (this is what Cubase has )?
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:46 pm

RichardT wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Aaaaand there it is! The "Doh! :headbang: " moment.
Acustica Taupe also does a funny analogue-ish thing but in quite a pronounced way. Not as much as 8 channels of BX but enough.

I still think it's a bit weird that there's a difference between a track being routed directly to the output and one being routed through the master bus (with no FX).

Anyway, I think I'm done here. Time to go and sort out those drums to keep James Perrett happy! ;)

When you say ‘with no FX’ are there literally no FX, or are there FX that have been bypassed? Does Reaper have an inbuilt ‘channel strip’ that appears separately from the FX (this is what Cubase has )?
Literally no FX. Reaper doesn't have the 'channel strip' that Cubase has as default. It's just a blank channel. But one that is obviously doing something very small.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm

In Reaper - recently i have been freezing tracks for export in a 'multi channel format' for import to my SoundDevices thing - and -- they are as i recorded them. No change sonically - and that is a total bounce.
something odd going on there blinddrew
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Previous