You are here

When will we get an A.I. DAW?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

When will we get an A.I. DAW?

Postby TheLegit » Sun May 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Say you've recorded a bass track, stick it on a bass track preset it will automatically apply all relevant compression, filtering EQ resonances etc, and then compare to say the kick and do any required ducking or EQ'ing to make the bass and kick go together.

This A.I. will do everything required to other tracks in the same way (all the programmed actions/ presets set up by the manufacturer to closely follow a template will deal with vocals, guitars etc, EQ to ensure clashing frequencies are dealt with, vocal widening, tuning, timing), leaving you with an A.I. mixed track. You can then go in and adjust to taste! You can have presets for Metal, Rock, Pop, EDM etc

I personally think it's a matter of time maybe five years?
TheLegit
Regular

Re: When will we get an A.I. DAW?

Postby dbfs » Sun May 02, 2021 5:18 pm

I am not sure. I don't think the computer will ever mix a track a bad as me. why
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 02, 2021 5:27 pm

If you look at what Izotope are doing already, that's clearly on the cards.
Of course that will only give you a vanilla mix*, but a) that's already going to be better than a lot of bedroom producers (probably including me) can achieve, and b) it'll be a great time-saver and starting point to then go on and create something more interesting/individual.

* For a lot of purposes, that'll be all that's needed.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 02, 2021 5:29 pm

It's certainly on the cards. And, although not as involved, that kind of preset processing is already standard for photography in smart phones etc.

I'm not sure about your timescale. I think 5 years is a bit optimistic, but within a decade should be realistic.

The determining factor is going to be whether there would be a market for a 'self mixing' system. What proportion of recording musicians would want to invest (heavily -- that R&D wouldn't come cheap!) in something like that?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Albatross » Sun May 02, 2021 6:05 pm

I wouldn't want it, would take all the fun out of it. And all those happy accidents would be gone. Everything would just end up sounding the same. As Hugh said, its already there with photography and those facebook filters make everyone look like they fell out of that movie 'The Surrogates'.

Might be good though because as listeners are always looking for something different and the 'authentic' I'll be able to press my old 1960s Philips mono reel-to-reel into action and do some electric folk tunes while the lazy loopers are wallpapering the world with digicrap. :idea:
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Sun May 02, 2021 6:31 pm

I am sure it will happen bit by bit over the next 5-10 years. It will take some of the drudgery out of mixing, I hope.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby beej65 » Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 pm

For this relative newbie... would it be fair to say that an excellent rough mix (balance and panning only, no fx at all) would be that same starting point? Or is it better tothink of that stage as a pre-mix before, say, our current state of the art AI DAW's intervention (Izotope was alluded above, I assume referring to the various Assistants in Neutron/Nectar/Ozone etc.). And would any have any other examples beside Izotope of where similar AI might be found?
beej65
New here
BJ Mora

Postby Folderol » Sun May 02, 2021 7:37 pm

I agree with Albatross. For me it would feel like trying to dance in a diving suit :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Sun May 02, 2021 8:11 pm

"This ain't no technological breakdown. Oh no, this is the road to hell..."
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:23 pm

Interesting idea, and I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's mass-market enough to take off. As Hugh says, the automatic image processing built into smartphones nowadays is remarkable, but everyone wants to take photos; not everyone wants to mix tracks. And the people who do, don't want to do it like that, at least, not yet.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 02, 2021 9:32 pm

The only people who could materially benefit from such AI would be the pros who might save some time but they probably do a better job just as quickly as any computer what is the point. For most of us it would defeat the object of the exercise, the pleasure derived from doing it yourself (however imperfectly).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby RichardT » Sun May 02, 2021 10:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The only people who could materially benefit from such AI would be the pros who might save some time but they probably do a better job just as quickly as any computer what is the point. For most of us it would defeat the object of the exercise, the pleasure derived from doing it yourself (however imperfectly).

For me, the final stretch of getting something ready for release is a pure slog - if AI can help with any of that, I’d welcome it!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 02, 2021 11:20 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The only people who could materially benefit from such AI would be the pros who might save some time but they probably do a better job just as quickly as any computer what is the point. For most of us it would defeat the object of the exercise, the pleasure derived from doing it yourself (however imperfectly).
I'm not convinced there Sam, i think there are a lot of musicians who aren't interested in the engineering side at all and just want to create a product. I suspect that's a larger potential user base than people who want to understand the difference between a dynamic eq and a multiband compressor.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 pm

When will AI be Picasso, or Bob Clearmountain? Will AI read Neruda poems on a stormy night and feel the wrench in its virtual gut?

I can't wait for AI to eat my breakfast! Is there nothing that computers cannot do that is not worth doing ? Why have art or interest in anything at all?

That is the land of death and I hope the acolytes find it enjoyable. One thing I can promise you, exactly no one will be inspired by an AI mix.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Skepticism is a fundamental component of science.

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 03, 2021 12:05 am

Hmmm. I suspect most people are more interested in the song than the mix.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Next