You are here

Any Neve 8816 Users?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Any Neve 8816 Users?

Postby paulsmusic » Tue May 04, 2021 10:08 am

I've just bought a used Neve 8816 on Ebay (waiting for it to arrive!), and am having some trouble understanding the manual. I read Hugh's SOS review from 2006, which I found really helpful to fill in some of the details, but there are one or two things I can't figure out, and would be grateful for any advice.

I'll be putting all of the inputs and outputs from the 8816 via DB25 cables to my patchbay. The manual describes the inputs and outputs as follows:

The same pin arrangement is used on Connectors 3, 4 & 5 to provide
the following circuits:

Connector 3
8 Pre Fade Insert Left Send
7 Pre Fade Insert Right Send
6 Insert Mix Left Send
5 Insert Mix Right Send
4 Aux Bus Send
3 -
2 -
1 -

Connector 4
8 Pre Fade Insert Left Return
7 Pre Fade Insert Right Return
6 Insert Mix Left Return
5 Insert Mix Right Return
4 2 Track Left Return
3 2 Track Right Return
2 2 Track Left Bus Input
1 2 Track Right Bus Input

Connector 5
8 Main Mix Left Output
7 Main Mix Right Output
6 Monitor Main Speaker Left Output
5 Monitor Main Speaker Right Output
4 Monitor Alternate Speaker Left Output
3 Monitor Alternate Speaker Right Output
2 Cue Left Output
1 Cue Right Output

In terms of cabling/labelling my patchbay, I am assuming I need to work in reverse order, i.e. for Connector 5, Main Mix L/R Output would be on cables 1 + 2 of the DB25 into the patchbay. Is this correct?

Regarding Connector 4, could anybody tell me what the 2 Track Left/Right Busses are for? Would this be for an aux send from my DAW, e.g. an FX return? As far as I understand, the 2 Track L/R return is for monitoring the print signal coming from the DAW?

Also, Hugh mentions in his review that "When used without the optional fader pack, the aux buss is a simple mono post-fade mix of each channel", but I cannot find mention of this in the manual. Would this be the Aux Bus Send on Connector 3, and if so what would I typically use this for?

Many thanks in advance for your answer(s)!
paulsmusic
Regular

Re: Any Neve 8816 Users?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 am

paulsmusic wrote:In terms of cabling/labelling my patchbay, I am assuming I need to work in reverse order, i.e. for Connector 5, Main Mix L/R Output would be on cables 1 + 2 of the DB25 into the patchbay. Is this correct?

No. It is exactly as they say in the manual. The left main mix is on circuit 8 and right main mix is on circuit 7. Perverse, I know, but it is what it is...

Regarding Connector 4, could anybody tell me what the 2 Track Left/Right Busses are for?

Page 13 in the manual. These inputs access the stereo mix bus and allow daisy-chaining of an additional 8816 to extend the input count.

Also, Hugh mentions in his review that "When used without the optional fader pack, the aux buss is a simple mono post-fade mix of each channel", but I cannot find mention of this in the manual.

Page 14 in the Level Control section.

Would this be the Aux Bus Send on Connector 3, and if so what would I typically use this for?

Anything you like that would benefit from a mono post-fade mix... Traditionally, an effects send, but could be a mono check speaker, a cue feed...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby paulsmusic » Tue May 04, 2021 10:53 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
paulsmusic wrote:In terms of cabling/labelling my patchbay, I am assuming I need to work in reverse order, i.e. for Connector 5, Main Mix L/R Output would be on cables 1 + 2 of the DB25 into the patchbay. Is this correct?

No. It is exactly as they say in the manual. The left main mix is on circuit 8 and right main mix is on circuit 7. Perverse, I know, but it is what it is...

Thanks so much Hugh! So if I attach the TRS cables from the DB25s to the patchbay in reverse order, it will hopefully make sense (as long as I label it in reverse too) :lol:
paulsmusic
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 am

Wouldn't you then need a mirror to read it? Or Sherlock Holmes? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby paulsmusic » Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 am

I was planning on using the mirror points in my studio (Sherlock told me that's what they're really meant for!) :thumbup:
paulsmusic
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 am

Cunning.... :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns