You are here

Why can't my vocal be sat back in the mix a bit???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Why can't my vocal be sat back in the mix a bit???

Postby Wonks » Thu May 27, 2021 4:52 pm

But room in house = noise from kids, even with a duvet.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Wonks wrote:But room in house = noise from kids, even with a duvet.
Yeah, it's tricky. :problem:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Thu May 27, 2021 4:59 pm

I never claimed it was a solution for that! But that carpet will likely produce the 'vocal in a cupboard' sound - not good.

Just wait until the kids are out - or put *them* in the car! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Chet Leeway » Thu May 27, 2021 5:19 pm

The Elf wrote:
Just wait until the kids are out - or put *them* in the car! :lol:

...and get someone to take them somewhere fun for the weekend while you finally lay down those vocal tracks. Use the car/cupboard to record guide vocals / placeholder vocals while you wait for the bachelor's weekend.

Alternatively, book a few hours at a rehearsal space, pack your recording gear + duvets / sleeping bags etc. and set up a vocal recording space there. As a bonus you can even get a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep away from your insane children. Unless Napalm Death rehearse next door. In which case you will look at your kids with new, fonder eyes.

That's assuming you don't have a reasonably cheap studio nearby.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby manwilde » Thu May 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Firstly, I´d really like to encourage you to keep on working, you really are on to something here!. Very nice singing, I very much like both lead and background vocals performance-wise. And I reckon you can give them an extra push if you follow the very good advice that´s been given to you here so far. Just keep on practising your guide tracks in the car or wherever until you no longer have to think when you sing the song, and then when you get to record the proper vocals just go for it and feel it!
I´d also like to point out that, in my opinion, the drums feel a bit static all along the track. There are instruments coming in and out, the voice goes up and down in intensity, but the drum hits sound like they are programmed with almost the same velocity throughout the song, specially the kick drum. I´d make the drums follow the intention of the singing, if you know what I mean. Just my two cents.

Good work! :clap: :clap: :clap:
manwilde
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu May 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Indeed. Keep going but do try and find some time (if you can) when it's quiet and you can concentrate on getting decent vocals recorded.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby manwilde » Thu May 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Oh, and try different mics (if you have acces to them), angles and distances. Sometimes, for instance, a mic can sound ok but a bit too honky, or sibilant, or add excessive lower mids, and by changing relative positions you might find an improvement.
manwilde
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 27, 2021 11:45 pm

Hi Hippie162!

I agree with the others that this is a very promising track, and I love the main sounds (although that huge kick drum does end up dominating - I agree with manwilde that automating a few level drops rather than having every hit at exactly the same volume might help).

The choir-like background vocals are also gorgeous, and it's just the harshness your main vocal sound that lets the overall mix down - to my ears it sounds as if you're shouting through a resonant megaphone :(

Even though they are placed further back with reverb, the vocal delivery with London Grammar is nevertheless very clear, while Florence is once again crystal clear, even when she's belting it out.

I agree with one of the previous posters that I'd love to hear a mix with all the reverb/treatment on your main vocals stripped away, as it may still be possible to make them sit better without redoing the performance.

Lovely song waiting to emerge from this mix though! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hippie162 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 am

Thank you all so much for your advice, I love this forum.

I am going to go with the duvet behind me trick with my AKG and now I have an interface I hope it will sound much better :-)

In terms of this mix.. I think I'll leave it up as a demo and re record my vocals for the album version once it comes to that time (using the duvet trick!).

If it's any consolation though, I did NOT touch the master fader ;)
Hippie162
Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri May 28, 2021 9:53 am

Hippie162 wrote:If it's any consolation though, I did NOT touch the master fader ;)
:clap: :lol: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:38 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'm not sure who said it first, but "The problem with opinions is that everyone's got one." ;).

Others say - An opinion is like an asshole, everybody's got one! :-)

That said, we don't come on a forum and expect everyone to shower us with compliments, we ask for opinions and get what we asked for
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous