You are here

Trouble with crackling / popping in Cubase Artist 9

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Trouble with crackling / popping in Cubase Artist 9

Postby Hippie162 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:37 am

Hi All,

I am having problems (I think they are common..) with crackling and pops but cannot find a fix online yet that has helped.

I am using a PC with Cubase 9 with a new Behringer UMC22 interface.

On the Behringer website I was dissapointed to see it listed ASIO4ALL as the driver to download as I thought I'd bought an interface with a driver, but this doesn't appear to require it? I am routed through the interface on my laptop and it lists only as "Audio CODEC USB) as my device, and my mic plugged into the interface is giving me sound this way in cubase..

I went to the Studio set up and checked the device, the driver in use is a low latency ASIO driver, not the ASIO4ALL that Behringer said I would need, so I am pretty confused.. did the interface come with the ASIO driver then?! :headbang: I tried setting the card to ASIO4ALL and couldn't get any sound at all.

I tried setting the buffer size to as high as it will go, turned off internet and closed all background processes that I can. but the problem keeps coming back.

It seems to occur once I use a plug in, record using the mic, or after I have played back a busier part of the song.. Once it starts it doesn't go away unless I close the entire project and open it back up.

Any ideas as to what I can try next? It feels like my set up is wrong somewhere but I am in a muddle...
Hippie162
Poster

Re: Trouble with crackling / popping in Cubase Artist 9

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:47 am

You've mentioned using a laptop, which always flags a couple of alarm bells with me.
What else have you got plugged into your system? Because if it's just the laptop, the interface, your headphones and a microphone, there's a good chance you've not got a solid ground. This can result in popping/crackling.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby manwilde » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:53 am

If Cubase is showing you "low latency ASIO" as the audio device/driver instead of "ASIO4ALL", maybe that´s where the conflict lies, and you are raising the buffer size on a driver that´s not in use for Cubase?. Sorry, never used ASIO4ALL or Cubase, but that does seem a bit weird...
manwilde
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:01 pm

To be honest... you're running an old version of Cubase on an (I'm assuming) newer operating system, and you're running it with an audio interface that doesn't have native ASIO drivers. Although ASIO4ALL can get you up and running it is not ideal - and it is unfortunately a requirement for that interface. If you're running ASIO4ALL then you should be choosing that as your audio interface in Cubase.

And all USB interfaces are not made equal. I've experienced horrendous problem with certain chip sets. As to whether that's the problem here...

So there are a few variables. We need to be methodical.

Firstly, can you borrow another audio interface that *does* have native ASIO drivers? That would give you a quick answer on that front.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:07 pm

No direct experience, but it appears that the UMC22 needs the Asio4All driver. Not sure where' Low Latency Audio Driver' has come from, it may be a new Windows thing, but probably best to stick with the manufacturers solution as most users seem to report good low latency results.

There's a guide for setting it up here: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... tup-guide/

On laptops, the power saving modes often get in the way, so you really need to set it for maximum performance and no power saving when using audio,

Also if it's an off-the-shelf laptop rather than one from an audio computer supplier, there will undoubtedly be lots of manufacturers bundled software getting in the way and slowing things down, which can almost always be safely removed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hippie162 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:09 pm

blinddrew wrote:You've mentioned using a laptop, which always flags a couple of alarm bells with me.
What else have you got plugged into your system? Because if it's just the laptop, the interface, your headphones and a microphone, there's a good chance you've not got a solid ground. This can result in popping/crackling.

This is my set up :?: But I am a little confused as to what you mean? Literally solid ground?
Hippie162
Poster

Postby Hippie162 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:14 pm

The Elf wrote:To be honest... you're running an old version of Cubase on an (I'm assuming) newer operating system, and you're running it with an audio interface that doesn't have native ASIO drivers. Although ASIO4ALL can get you up and running it is not ideal. If you're running ASIO4ALL then you should be choosing that as your audio interface in Cubase.

And all USB interfaces are not made equal. I've experienced horrendous problem with certain chip sets. As to whether that's the problem here...

So there are a few variables. We need to be methodical.

Firstly, can you borrow another audio interface that *does* have native ASIO drivers? That would give you a quick answer on that front.

I'm afraid not.. I don't know a soul who I could ask lol. Should I be looking at my set up of the interface maybe re-install it?
Hippie162
Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:15 pm

Wonks wrote:Not sure where' Low Latency Audio Driver' has come from...
It's Cubase's own 'catch-all' driver. It shouldn't be being used here. He should be using ASIO4ALL for that interface.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Hippie162 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:You've mentioned using a laptop, which always flags a couple of alarm bells with me.

This is my set up :?: But I am a little confused as to what you mean? Literally solid ground?

A large proportion of laptops don't have a dedicated ground/earth wire as part of their power supply, but instead use a 'double insulated' power supply that doesn't need a safety ground connection. This is fine for most laptop use, but with audio, a lack of a proper ground connection means that the cable screens don't work as efficiently and if you then add an audio interface that also has a double insulated power supply, so no earth wire connection, then you can end up with small floating voltages that introduce a lot of noise in the system. Headphones and mics won't add any dedicated ground connection, though mains-powered monitors might do.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:01 pm

What Wonks said ^^^. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Even grounded laptops tend to have a fairly high impedance ground connection which can cause all sorts of problems. It really helps to have a decent low impedance ground connection at one point in the system.

However, in your case it looks like you've probably bought the wrong interface for serious music work. The Behringer UMC202HD is the cheapest they make with its own ASIO driver.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby forumuser918214 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:19 pm

I don't know if this will work with the UMC 22 - try downloading the latest couple of USB drivers for the UMC series (202 and up) for your OS from the Behringer website. I have had pretty good luck with those with my UMC204HD, but I had to try more than one of the several out there. It is a freebie and may do the trick.
forumuser918214
Poster

Postby Hippie162 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 am

Morning All,

So I did a bit of trial and error with the set up last night. I uninstalled the Behringer and ASIO4ALL and re-installed it all a fresh. The ASIO4ALL is showing up on my system labelled "Low latency ASIO driver" in my sound control panel and Cubase, so I am confident now that I was using the correct driver for the interface at least.

I noticed in my settings that the interface was set to "48khz DVD quality" but that my Cubase was set to 44Khz.. so I changed the settings down in the device to match at 44Khz but unfortunately this made no difference. I also increased the buffer size to 100ms which is the highest it will let me go and still no difference.

I saved the project back into my C drive also incase the interface wasn't liking the external hard drive but no luck there either...

I noticed that when I plug my mic into the interfac and turn the monitor on in cubase I can hear it constantly like a radio interference almost, at one point it was pulsing constantly and I noticed this stopped when I turned my wi-fi off? The interference doesn't seem to correlate to moving the mic cable in any way so I don't think this is the cause either.

In frustration I moved the whole project back into using Realtek high def audio card from the laptop and it played back beautifully :headbang: but obviously I can't record using my mic so need the interface.

I have read that there are old dedicated drivers for this device somewhere on the web instead of using ASIO4ALL but I couldn't find them anywhere, although I also read that these drivers don't allow mono recording..?

I was thinking that it sounds like an electrical interference like you guys said, but I don't know where to start to rectify this?

I am condiering now, returning this Behringer and getting something with a dedicated driver instead.. Could anyone refer me to something I can trust? I really don't have a greta budget which is why I ended up with this piece of caca :-(
Hippie162
Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:17 am

Assuming your problem is sound card specific and nothing else then have a look at the Focusrite Scarlett range and also Audient's id22/44 series. I have the id 22 and it's excellent for the money. I also configure the Scarlett series for a few of my younger students who are on a budget. Not had a complaint yet.
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:28 am

Hippie162 wrote:The ASIO4ALL is showing up on my system labelled "Low latency ASIO driver" in my sound control panel and Cubase
That is not the ASIO4ALL driver. You should see 'ASIO4ALL' as the driver name.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next