You are here

How to mix my flamenco guitar so it sounds similar to Jesse Cook's song Alone

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

How to mix my flamenco guitar so it sounds similar to Jesse Cook's song Alone

Postby rcrane2021 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 am

Hello SOS,

I will be recording on my master bedroom with the following equipment:

PreSonus Studio 24c Usb-c Audio Interface.
AKG C214 microphone / Cascade Vin Jet microphone
Carmen Loriente Negra Flamenco Guitar

I'm planning to place the microphone like 1 foot apart from the 12th fret of the guitar. I will also test by placing microphone pointing to the sound hole. Currently my flamenco guitar doesn't sound good using the AKG C214. I will be getting a new ribbon mic to do the recording. Most likely the Cascade Vin Jet. I'm looking for a warm tone.

I'm trying to make my guitar sound similar to Jesse Cook's guitar in the song named Alone -> https://youtu.be/DFb9r0CJb5U

My question is if someone here on this forum can give me some settings I can use for making my guitar sound in the mix similar to Jesse Cook.

Settings like how much compression, reverb , delay, etc.
rcrane2021

Re: How to mix my flamenco guitar so it sounds similar to Jesse Cook's song Alone

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:10 am

Hi and welcome.

The Jesse Cook is nicely played, with a good sounding guitar, and recorded cleanly in probably a good room with little or no room reverb.

I hear stereo "largish room" reverb added and maybe some compression.

I suspect you could do a lot worse than use the C214 and the Cascade mics.

You've given us the sound that you would like to emulate but not the sound you are getting at present. Any chance of a sample recording? Clean, no effects. Then people might be able to comment on that capture as a basis for the final sound. Getting that good, clean capture is usually the foundation which can then be massaged with some careful use of effects.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: How to mix my flamenco guitar so it sounds similar to Jesse Cook's song Alone

Postby ronmac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:02 am

The album was recorded and mixed by Jesse at his personal studio "Coach House Sound". Perhaps you could reach out to him for some direction.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:23 am

I'd suggest getting someone else involved and moving the mic around to some pre-selected locations, all measured relative to say the 12th fret and the direction of the front of the guitar. You can do it yourself, but it will be quicker with two. Try different distances from the guitar body as well, as that can make a big difference to the 'completeness' of the sound you pick up and the amount of body resonance. I'd probably start at 18" away, rather than 12", but the further away, the more the room influences the sound.

A hard reflective floor is often recommended for recording acoustic guitar. It can reflect back higher frequencies, allowing you to point the mic a bit more towards the bassier sound locations on the guitar without loosing all the top end definition. A piece of hardboard/Masonite will do, (shiny side up), if you have carpets.

If you have decent closed back headphones (to prevent hearing the direct guitar sound), try getting another person to move the mic around whilst you play and listen to the sound its picking up. Note down the positions you thought best and then try the mic at those positions, but recording this time.

I'd suggest that it's probably not the 214 that's the issue, it's going to be more about the mic placement. So do experiment with more than two positions and distances from the guitar. Every recording situation is different, so what worked for one person may not necessarily be the best solution for you.

It may well be that a ribbon will sound better for what you want, but I do suspect that you probably haven't got the best out of the 214 yet.

And if you get the ribbon, then you can always try a two-mic approach, to try and capture the attach and the body separately. There are several SOS features on miking acoustic guitars worth looking for and reading.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby rcrane2021 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:39 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

I will start by capturing the sound of the guitar first with microphone and then upload to this post 3 samples of audio which will be like 10 seconds of me playing guitar.

Then I can get people's opinion on how to work the EQ and if its necessary to add EQ.

Thanks again.
rcrane2021

Postby rcrane2021 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:39 pm

I was able to get a reply from Jesse Cook via Facebook Messenger. He said from what he recalls, he used a Rode NT4 microphone and used the blue hall in Logic Pro X. Doesn't remember if he multiband compressed or not. It seems I can then try the Rode NT4 microphone rather than the Cascade Vin Jet I was planning to get.
rcrane2021

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:28 pm

Bear in mind that the instrument, playing style/dynamics, room and mic position will have a greater effect than the choice of mic and to accurately recreate his sound you'd need to use a closely similar instrument in a similar sounding room as well as the same mic.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Saxum esse et non provolvere » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:09 pm

Also, if I may say so, the NT4 is a bit of a “one trick pony” - cardioid capsules fixed in an X/Y configuration. It’s very good at that one trick, of course.

However, if you can stretch the budget slightly, you could get a matched pair of NT55s, which includes Rode’s sublime omnidirectional capsules as well as the same cardioid ones supplied with the NT4. Hence the NT55s can do everything the NT4 is capable of (O.K. - no internal battery power available, but that doesn’t sound as though it would be a deal-breaker), and SO much more.

Of course, the usual microphone-related caveat applies - if at all possible, try out a few potential candidates in your own room before parting with your cash.
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Regular