You are here

Too much reverb on tracks

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Too much reverb on tracks

Postby aviorrok » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi,
Recently I noticed my tracks have too much reverb. In my studio monitors, I don't feel it maybe they "lie" to me but when I listen to my tracks on a laptop or headphones the tracks have too much reverb.
How can I control the reverb if the studio monitors "lie" to me?

Thanks!
aviorrok
Regular

Re: Too much reverb on tracks

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:50 pm

It's quite common for people to apply too much reverb so I'd be inclined to work on it a bit.

Try adjusting the reverb so that it sounds good on the headphones, then check the monitor mix again. You might be surprised at how much clearer it sounds. As well as reducing the level, try shortening the reverb tail length and/or density.

You may also find that using delay instead of reverb works quite well, depending on the material in question.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby The Elf » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:03 pm

How about checking the mix on headphones before committing to it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby RichardT » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:35 pm

I’ve noticed that the better the monitoring, the easier it is to hear reverb clearly. Probably your phones are giving you a more accurate picture at the moment.

Do you have any room treatment, and if not, are you in a position where you can get some?
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 pm

It seems we're all agreed here - checking the mix on headphones is a great way to judge reverb, as you can can hear all the details more clearly without your room sound on top.

It's also the ideal way to tweak reverb parameters (such as pre-delay and reverb decay) to suit the tempo of your song, so you get some 'movement/groove/space' between your notes, rather than pasting a blanket of reverb over the top of them that results in them all running together.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 pm

I always check on headphones... for all sorts of things. Before committing I also check on an oldish domestic Hi-Fi. That can be pretty revealing too. The fantastic rich bass you're so proud off becomes a faint click :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:02 pm

Your monitors probably aren't lying to you, but your room might be...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:47 pm

What reverb are you using? If it’s using a lot of mid/side processing, with not a lot of mid but a lot of sides level to widen to reverb, then with speakers you’ll be getting a fair bit of phase cancellation, and you’ll get the impression that there's not a lot of reverb, but that won’t happen with headphones or earbuds so you’ll hear all the reverb, with no cancellation to reduce its intensity.

You could try a different reverb, maybe a stock DAW one), to see if the same thing happens with that instead of your current choice.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby forumuser936783 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:07 am

You can never be too rich, have too much hard drive space or too much reverb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
forumuser936783
New here

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:57 am

Your room is probably adding its own ugly reverb and you are turning up your nicer reverb until it masks that. Then without the room reverb to mask your reverb sounds too prominent. Thumbs up for headphone monitoring!
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:47 am

I’m making an assumption that your room is OK.
Monitor character can substantially affect the perception of reverb effects, I’ve owned monitors that seem to make reverb effects almost disappear, others enhance it, it depends what sort of music you make, it’s a debated issue, but certain monitors suit certain types of music, that’s my opinion.
As for headphones, I’ve never been comfortable judging a mix on them, especially things like effects, I think a three dimensional listening environment is needed to get a good idea of space in a recording.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby forumuser840717 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:51 am

When you've got a mix with which you think you're happy, try switching your monitoring to mono, on one speaker, at a low level and listen carefully to relative balances and the levels and characteristics of the reverb(s). (You'll probably need to adjust the levels of the reverb(s) when you go back to stereo as the de-correlated elements of the reverb which vanish/reduce in mono will reappear.)

And just get more practice at listening to how things sound on your headphones and the differences between those and your monitoring/room.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby aviorrok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Thanks for all comments! I don’t use headphones anymore cause I have tinnitus since November 2020
My room is treatment by a professional guy (maybe I need a little improvement to dry the room a little bit)
My monitors is HS8 and I like them, but I listened to Amphion 18Two and WOW huge difference but also huge price difference :)
aviorrok
Regular

Postby RichardT » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:06 pm

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus, Aviorrok. Was it COVID-related? If so, it might fade with time.

Yes, more expensive monitors make a difference, but your Yamahas have good reviews.

If you are happy to share details of your room treatment, people here will be happy to give their thoughts.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby aviorrok » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:52 am

RichardT wrote:Sorry to hear about the tinnitus, Aviorrok. Was it COVID-related? If so, it might fade with time.

Yes, more expensive monitors make a difference, but your Yamahas have good reviews.

If you are happy to share details of your room treatment, people here will be happy to give their thoughts.
Thank you! I don't think it's related by COVID but maybe, I think it's related to NIHL (Noise-induced hearing loss ).
my room treatment:
https://imgur.com/hnURUjd
https://imgur.com/mPrLVUM

I need to improve the room treatment I will do it in the next months
aviorrok
Regular