You are here

How cheap can I go for some basic closed back headphones to prevent the mic picking up the music

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

How cheap can I go for some basic closed back headphones to prevent the mic picking up the music

Postby TheLegit » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:30 pm

I have some K702s for mixing however my mic really picked up the music spilling out when recording vocals. So if it's purely for the purpose of blocking that out does it really matter what the quality of the headphones for the vocalist are like? How low can I go would £20 be too cheap
TheLegit
Regular

Re: How cheap can I go for some basic closed back headphones to prevent the mic picking up the music

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:12 pm

You can track with whatever works, £0.99 buds to £k's make no difference, if it works for you.

I bought a load of cheap Sony closed-backs from Tesco (£19) for some "all in one room" multitrack band recording with DI'd bass, full kit and various acoustic instruments, worked a treat.

I ran them off Behringer (Boo!, except in this case, Yay!) P2 belt-clip headphone amps fed off the usual monitor sends.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: How cheap can I go for some basic closed back headphones to prevent the mic picking up the music

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:29 pm

Interesting and perfect valid question - no doubt someone will be along with a low-cost recommendation shortly, but in the meantime let me say that the most widely recommended headphones here that have decent isolation seem to be Sennheiser HD25, although the cheapest I can spot at the moment are £87, which is way over your intended budget.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 pm

I know one studio that used the Sennheiser HD206's for tracking which seemed fine. They're only £25. I have the Audio Technica ATH-M20X's which also seem fine although they have a slightly pronounced high end and are slightly more expensive than the HD206's.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Not all closed-back headphones have the same level of sound isolation. They will all be better than open or semi-open backed headphones, but there can still be a big difference as to how well they isolate. Good ones should give an isolation figure in dB.

If you have some good sounding in-ear buds, then wearing those under ear-defenders is probably going to give you the least possible amount of spill. You can get ear defenders from about £7 from Screwfix or similar.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Thanks all in the end went for these and they do the trick, £25 AKG K52s may as well stay 'on brand' :mrgreen:

TheLegit
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:18 pm

I've got a few sets of the 72s kicking around for podcast recording and I'm pretty happy with them but I didn't recommend them as they're a bit out of your target price - I didn't realise they did a 52 as well. Good choice I reckon. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...