You are here

Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:04 pm

I was wondering if people would recommend Mixbuss processing before submitting a track to be mastered by these online automated mastering services like LANDR.

For example I would normally boost the highs slightly, put an SSL Comp and some tape plugin on the mixbuss and mix into that, however would the online mastering not be applying compression/ EQ of it's own or is it smart enough to detect what is and isn't required and adjust accordingly? I don't want to 'double up' the processing.

Thanks
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:52 pm

Get your mix sounding *exactly* as you want to hear it ahead of any 'mastering' - full stop.

I remain sceptical about those automated mastering 'services', but the ideal situation for a human mastering engineer is when all he has to do is remove the spare headroom.

And if that's the case - why pay for an automated process to do the job?! :?
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16776
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks! I'm mixing my own tracks so just want the convenience and cheapness of the online mastering, having read a few reviews they seem to do a decent job.
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:44 pm

TheLegit wrote:Thanks! I'm mixing my own tracks so just want the convenience and cheapness of the online mastering, having read a few reviews they seem to do a decent job.
If your mix sounds exactly as you want it then all you need to do is remove the headroom. If it doesn't, then sort it out at source (why would you not if it isn't sounding right yet?). Either way you can keep your money in your pocket.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16776
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Before folk build up perfect confidence in their mastering abilities it can still be useful to get a second opinion ;)


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 17666
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Before folk build up perfect confidence in their mastering abilities it can still be useful to get a second opinion ;)
Agreed, but that needs a human being in the equation.

Unless they really have upped the AI in LANDR! :D ;)
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16776
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby Wonks » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:38 pm

And you'd also benefit from some verbal feedback o your mix and info on what they'd done, not just a returned file.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11625
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby MarkOne » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:34 pm

I've tried LANDR, and ARIA (Which uses a robot arm to tweak actual mastering hardware knobs, believe it or not) and CloudBounce.

I can honestly say, none of them do a BAD job. They don't completely screw your mix, they make it commercially loud, and you can, depending on the company make genre specific choices.

But don't expect magic fairy dust to somehow start to flow out of the finished object.

I tend to mix into some bus processing already, the Slate Focusrite red emulation or Softube Console 1 compressor, Console 1 EQ and the Slate tape emulation. And I just try to get that sounding as nice as I can with several dB of headroom and then export the final mix ready for mastering.

Actually, in the past I've paid big(ish) money to a big(ish) industry name for an album master, and whilst it was worth every penny it still relied on there being a prety good mix to start with and no magic fairy dust was in evidence :)

I took that recent iZotope elements deal and have to say it's honestly just as good as any of the AI mastering options
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Mixbuss processing or not prior to automated Mastering like LANDR

Postby TheLegit » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:54 pm

MarkOne wrote:I've tried LANDR, and ARIA (Which uses a robot arm to tweak actual mastering hardware knobs, believe it or not) and CloudBounce.

I can honestly say, none of them do a BAD job. They don't completely screw your mix, they make it commercially loud, and you can, depending on the company make genre specific choices.

But don't expect magic fairy dust to somehow start to flow out of the finished object.

I tend to mix into some bus processing already, the Slate Focusrite red emulation or Softube Console 1 compressor, Console 1 EQ and the Slate tape emulation. And I just try to get that sounding as nice as I can with several dB of headroom and then export the final mix ready for mastering.

Actually, in the past I've paid big(ish) money to a big(ish) industry name for an album master, and whilst it was worth every penny it still relied on there being a prety good mix to start with and no magic fairy dust was in evidence :)

I took that recent iZotope elements deal and have to say it's honestly just as good as any of the AI mastering options

Hey thanks, I actually submitted one of my tracks to a mastering engineers (who work with famous artists) and wasn't that happy with the outcome (can't polish a turd I suppose :mrgreen: )

At this stage it's just about getting it mixed as well as possible and then getting it out there with a minimum of fuss. IZONE Elements looks a good alternative thanks for that !
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm