You are here

Comments a-go-go please

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Comments a-go-go please

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

blinddrew wrote:Though if you are talking about humanity as a whole doing this it should be plural, so Vous me violez I think.

Yep, good point. Though I don't speak French I can speak Spanish and that as you'll probably know is the same - several variations of the word 'you' singular, plural, familiar and formal. Once I have the words though I guess I could use artistic licence eg be addressing a crowd, but each member individually - you and you and you and you, so continue to use the singular
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:58 pm

FrankF wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
FrankF wrote:L'humanité EST / humanity IS, not ARE. Just saying, Drew. :smirk:
But we're in the vocative directly addressing a multitude surely?

"Blessed are the cheesemakers!" :smirk:

Ultimately, I guess it's up to the songwriter how he (or she, if the girl wrote the lyrics) prefers to phrase it, but I take your point. :thumbup:

Sacre blue, what a mess I got myself into LOL
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:06 pm

FrankF wrote:
OneWorld wrote: am not sure the title Tu Mon Vier is correct, but it'll do

https://soundcloud.com/acoustimax/tumon0wav

Thanks

I'm guessing it's "Tu M'en Veux", meaning "you resent me" or "you have something against me".
(Tu Mon Vier means bugger all, but not literally!)

Your vox has a naturally pleasant timbre - reminds me of the bloke in Tears for Tears: I mean the Mad World one, not the Shout! one. :-)

But as others have said, it could definitely do with some reverb. :thumbup:

Thanks, I'm on it. I have since lost touch with the singer, she could have cleared up the melange. I do remember when we (the chaps) had it explained, we though Hmmm, that's a bit 'deep' but who were we to judge. That said one part uses the verb 'dechire' which I have found means 'to tear' - me apart, in the song. That said I guess we have equally dark words in our songs. It's just that they seems contrary to the 'feel' of the song. No one would skip down the road singling 'You tear me apart' to the tune of 'These are a few of my Favourite Things' I've got my work cut out!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:17 pm

OneWorld wrote:No one would skip down the road singling 'You tear me apart' to the tune of 'These are a few of my Favourite Things' I've got my work cut out!
I dunno, this little number is quite catchy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bKTtIwrO4 ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby FrankF » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:16 pm

"That said one part uses the verb 'dechire' which I have found means 'to tear..."

Yes, I thought I heard "tu me déchires". It kind of works, I reckon, with you as Mother Earth, as you wrote on Soundcloud. And correct me if I'm wrong: don't you sing something about "tearing" in the English bit?

"That said I guess we have equally dark words in our songs. It's just that they seems contrary to the 'feel' of the song."
Again, yeah nah yeah, it works: just think of the uplifting melody in Love Will Tear Us Apart, or "L'Amour Va Nous Déchirer" if you prefer! :thumbup:
Black's Wonderful Life is another great example - there must be loads.
FrankF
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:06 pm

OneWorld wrote:That said I guess we have equally dark words in our songs. It's just that they seems contrary to the 'feel' of the song. No one would skip down the road singling 'You tear me apart' to the tune of 'These are a few of my Favourite Things' I've got my work cut out!

That more or less describes the entire genre of Bluegrass music, happy tunes with doom laden lyrics :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:01 pm

This is a potentially beautiful song, but the vocals are too upfront, and it’s way too busy, it all needs calming down, and putting in the same space.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 pm

FrankF wrote:"That said one part uses the verb 'dechire' which I have found means 'to tear..."

Yes, I thought I heard "tu me déchires". It kind of works, I reckon, with you as Mother Earth, as you wrote on Soundcloud. And correct me if I'm wrong: don't you sing something about "tearing" in the English bit?

"That said I guess we have equally dark words in our songs. It's just that they seems contrary to the 'feel' of the song."
Again, yeah nah yeah, it works: just think of the uplifting melody in Love Will Tear Us Apart, or "L'Amour Va Nous Déchirer" if you prefer! :thumbup:
Black's Wonderful Life is another great example - there must be loads.

Seems "Tu M'en Veux" is the phrase she used, can't find any other word that comes near. How is Veux pronounced? is it 'Veyur' or 'Vayux' that is, the 'x' is slient as the 'g' is in the word 'thought' ?

Seems like the 'dechire' word will do for the second phrase

When the song was first written, the chaps in the band sort of anglicised the title, and thought well, 'Tu Mon' will do, we didn't have a clue what she was singing about, she could have been singing "I sing with a bunch of ignorant smelly oiks' for all we know :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FrankF » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:05 pm

"Tu m'en veux" is 3 short sounds: the N is silent, and VEUX sounds like the first 2 letters of English "verve", short, and without any drawling.

"déchire" sounds like English DAY (but very short), and SHEER.

But it doesn't need to be perfect: think of Jane Birkin, an absolute icon in France in her own right, and she's been singing and speaking French with a semi-English accent for about 4 decades, which is part of the reason they love her over here.

You can listen to lots of French pronunciation clips here, just type in the word (don't bother with the accents), and see what comes up. Here's "déchire":

https://fr.forvo.com/word/%C3%A7a_d%C3%A9chire/#fr
FrankF
Regular

Previous