You are here

Harrison Mixbus 32C

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Harrison Mixbus 32C

Postby awjoe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Harrison have surprised everybody with the unexpected release of Mixbus 32C, a step up from what until now has been their main DAW, Mixbus 3. It's more expensive, more resource-hungry, more developed than Mixbus 3. Details here:

Harrison Mixbus32C
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Harrison Mixbus 32C

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 pm

awjoe wrote:Harrison have surprised everybody with the unexpected release of Mixbus 32C, a step up from what until now has been their main DAW, Mixbus 3. It's more expensive, more resource-hungry, more developed than Mixbus 3. Details here:

Harrison Mixbus32C

I am thinking of buying the ordinary Harrison Mixbus, the layout seems quite intuitive. But then I see the reference to 'resource hungry' is it the same with their 'ordinary' MixBus or is it just this new one?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Just the new one, apparently. They're recommending a minimum of four cores in your CPU to run it.

I'm running Mixbus on a two-core machine with no problems.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SimonZ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:54 pm

A 24ish track session on a quad core i5 with a liberal sprinkling of plugins .......
Mixbus 3 about 30%
Mixbus 32C about 45%

The sound :bouncy:
SimonZ
Regular

Postby awjoe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 pm

SimonZ wrote:A 24ish track session on a quad core i5 with a liberal sprinkling of plugins .......
Mixbus 3 about 30%
Mixbus 32C about 45%

The sound :bouncy:

About the resources - that's instructive, thanks.

And yeah, although I've only heard mp3 comparisons, 32C sounds pretty smooth and warm compared to MB3. And I *like* the sound of MB3. I'm really tempted by the new DAW. I can get it for the discounted price, so the question I'm asking myself is 'Is the price fair for: more mixbusses, more EQ control, and that sound?' I'm pretty close to 'yes' lol.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SimonZ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:28 pm

32C sound is not a big difference to MB3 so I guess it depends how much you feel the need for the extra busses.
It is nice to have the fully featured EQ.
Just a little something about the low end, better somehow.......classy
If you are fortunate enough to see the upgrade price as not too big a deal then go ahead.
If you are more than happy with MB3 and on a budget, then you are not missing sooooo much.

For me, 32C has added the two things I found myself wishing for on some occasions.

Compared to a UAD 32C plugin it's a no brainier.

When I switch back to other DAWs the world turns drab 2D grey.
SimonZ
Regular

Postby awjoe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:39 pm

SimonZ wrote:

For me, 32C has added the two things I found myself wishing for on some occasions.

More mixbusses and...?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SimonZ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 am

Oh, the EQ, everything you could need on 32C.
I like the EQ on MB3 but sometimes find I get nearly there and then have to open up another EQ to do that one last thing.
LPF for example.
Most of the time the MB3 EQ gets the job done just fine.
SimonZ
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sun May 01, 2016 2:04 pm

I really like the look of the MIXBUS, and have contemplated buying it on the occasion but I look on the internet and it is not uncommon to read it is riddled with bugs, essentially the customer is a beta tester who pays for the priviledge, and that the 'analogue' sound is psychological.

Here are a few typical comments...

I am not evangelizing Reaper, I prefer to use Mixbus and just bought their latest version and am having major difficulties using it.

Spent many hours in the last two weeks trying to get it stable and have been contributing to this forum as well as working with Harrison support to get the bugs out........

.....I have to admit that i'm frustrated after spending the few free time I have trying to make mb3 work on my mac. Mb 2.5 had many stability problems. Mb3 has been even more buggy.

I did a clean install on a different hard drive. Everything from scratch and osx 10.10.3 instead of 10.6.8 (after the bad experience with that version). No plugins, no other software. Only the audio drivers. I did repair permissions, etc.

After creating a session and importing some files it seemed to work fine but just clicking on the region list tab to change the view order made mb3 crash. A simple thing like that. It was not playing audio, no plugins, no processing, no buses, no hardware inserts... cpu was something like 7%.

Where it does get plaudits is the workflow and does in fact mimmick a large desk with everything you'll need under your fingers instead of menus within menus within menus like those Russian Dolls. Subsequently the user can get on with mixing instead of roaming about forlornly in a galaxy of a billion plugins (terd polishers?) The Cubase Mixer is a perfect example of this

And considering what MixBus does, I am sure I can achieve the same using Reason which has the same kind of channel strips on their mixer?

Could anyone convince me the MixBus is work a look?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Sun May 01, 2016 4:36 pm

I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, but I'll share my experience of it for your consideration.

* It hasn't been buggy for me. It crashes occasionally. No biggie - I just restart, and I've never lost work. The goofiest thing it does is when I 'clean up' sessions to remove unwanted tracks completely - afterwards it happily reports that I've cleared up 25 GB of hard drive space.

Additionally, I've found Harrison coders to be very alert to problems and suggestions when they come up in the forums, and regular version updates have been rolling out since I bought it last year - it's like Reaper that way.

* It does sound different. I've loaded the same tracks into Mixbus and other DAWs and compared and MB sounds better. You can buy emulation plugins for your DAW (I use Slate VCC with Audition, for example, and I was on the verge of buying VTM as well when I got into MB), or you can use MB and then your whole DAW becomes the emulation plugin. And in one of the Harrison forum threads talking about 32C, somebody posted an A/B of the same tracks played in MB and 32C. 32C sounds different from MB. Maybe better, but definitely different - warmer and smoother.

* It doesn't work like other DAWS I've had. It really does try to replicate the workflow of a big analog mixer, and it resists user requests sometimes to work the way other DAWS work. It surprises me sometimes the way it works, but I'm usually charmed by it when I figure it out. I get to a sound I like with my tracks faster than in other DAWS.

Finally, here's something off-topic, but related in a way, in conclusion. I don't get on with Reaper very well. I just don't like it. But there are tons of people who not only like it, not only love it, but *believe* in it. Fair enough. To each his own etc. Same with Mixbus. That's why I wouldn't try to convince you to use it - it might work for you, it might not. For me, it was definitely worth trying out, and I'm using it all the time now.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 01, 2016 7:43 pm

awjoe wrote:IFinally, here's something off-topic, but related in a way, in conclusion. I don't get on with Reaper very well. I just don't like it. But there are tons of people who not only like it, not only love it, but *believe* in it. Fair enough. To each his own etc.

Interesting, I feel exactly the same. I've tried it out three times now over the last couple of years but I just don't like it - it feels very 'sterile' to me somehow, the workflow feels awkward and I find the aesthetics distressing. Not that I'm seeking actively to move from Logic (which I love) but I thought it would be good to have a PC-compatible backup DAW in case of catastrophe on the technical front. I didn't get on with Cubase either. Maybe it's just me!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave (currently unavailable while moving hosting providers) and some resulting works.

Postby awjoe » Sun May 01, 2016 8:31 pm

That's *exactly* how I feel about it, too. But I need a DAW that does MIDI now (I've started exploring the wonderful world of softsynths and samples), Audition doesn't do MIDI, and so I've been using Reaper for my MIDI tracking. Of course, since I met you guys, I've started considering the wonderful world of analog synths, so maybe I don't need MIDI. My budget agrees very reluctantly, however. 8-)
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SimonZ » Sun May 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying here ...... What is lacking for you in the Mixbus midi implementation?
I know it is not as sophisticated as Cubase or Logic but it covers most of the bases ok
SimonZ
Regular

Postby awjoe » Sun May 01, 2016 9:41 pm

SimonZ wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying here ...... What is lacking for you in the Mixbus midi implementation?
I know it is not as sophisticated as Cubase or Logic but it covers most of the bases ok

No, we're miscommunicating. I meant: Audition doesn't do MIDI, but I need MIDI now. I've been using Reaper for MIDI up till now, but I've switched to Mixbus for MIDI.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SimonZ » Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Ah, OK, got it, misinterpreted what you were getting at.
SimonZ
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 02, 2016 11:43 am

Anyone any experience of using MixBus? Good or not so good?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chromeman » Mon May 02, 2016 5:24 pm

If they are going to start charging up to $299 for the full 32C version, they need to sort out the bugs in the existing version. I've been using Mixbus off and on since it appeared but it just crashes too often for me ever to feel comfortable with it. I also get frustrated that I can't do simple things like rendering instrument tracks quickly (I know midi was a late arrival but now the price has gone up it needs to have some bells and whistles). I do however love the mixer on my 28" monitor and I can certainly convince myself that audio tracks sound warmer and fuller just using the standard version. Also, the mixing process itself is enjoyable, just mucking about with the various busses etc.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Chromeman wrote:If they are going to start charging up to If they are going to start charging up to 99 for the full 32C version, they need to sort out the bugs in the existing version. I've been using Mixbus off and on since it appeared but it just crashes too often for me ever to feel comfortable with it. I also get frustrated that I can't do simple things like rendering instrument tracks quickly (I know midi was a late arrival but now the price has gone up it needs to have some bells and whistles). I do however love the mixer on my 28" monitor and I can certainly convince myself that audio tracks sound warmer and fuller just using the standard version. Also, the mixing process itself is enjoyable, just mucking about with the various busses etc. 99 for the full 32C version, they need to sort out the bugs in the existing version. I've been using Mixbus off and on since it appeared but it just crashes too often for me ever to feel comfortable with it. I also get frustrated that I can't do simple things like rendering instrument tracks quickly (I know midi was a late arrival but now the price has gone up it needs to have some bells and whistles). I do however love the mixer on my 28" monitor and I can certainly convince myself that audio tracks sound warmer and fuller just using the standard version. Also, the mixing process itself is enjoyable, just mucking about with the various busses etc.

That's the impression I get. Before making a purchase of anything now I go to the trusty old t'tinernet and there are legions of people saying it's crashy and buggy. I've spent more than my fair share of time under the hood trying to get software running trouble free and gave up, and in general I find today's software quite reliable. It's now a case that "Bye Bye BlueScreens/The App has stopped responding" days are long gone, why would anyone shell out $299 to go back to buggy software?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chromeman » Tue May 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Also, I don't understand why Harrison didn't release the mixer section as a plug-in. After all, it's the bit most people are interested in......
Chromeman
Regular

Postby awjoe » Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Chromeman wrote:Also, I don't understand why Harrison didn't release the mixer section as a plug-in. After all, it's the bit most people are interested in......

Most people? Really? You might be right, but I've been tracking in it and I really like being able to do some recording and then flip into the mixer section to see how quickly I can dial in basic EQ and compression and get it sounding ballpark good. It helps me decide on how happy I am with the recorded sound. I like not having to import tracks as well, being able to do the whole project inside one DAW.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next