You are here

Cakewalk Revived!

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Cakewalk Revived!

Postby The Korff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:45 am

Looks like they've been snapped up:

BandLab Technologies — the company behind social music platform BandLab, as well as Rolling Stone magazine, Mono cases, Harmony Guitars and more — have today announced the acquisition of certain assets and the complete set of intellectual property of Cakewalk Inc. from Gibson Brands.

More here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/cakewalk-sonar-lives
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Cakewalk Revived!

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 am

I'm not a Sonar user (except for their freebie compressor plug-in from a few years ago) but that is GREAT news for their user base.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,072 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Well, Gibson did need the money..(!) :protest:

Hopefully it's good news for both the users and Cakewalk dev team. It's hard to know when a company changes ownership, particularly in trying times, whether it's a good thing or not going forward. Cakewalk have been passed around quite a bit by parent companies who didn't really seem to care - one wonders why they were purchased in the first place...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Potentially a good fit. I wonder how many of the Cakewalk user base jumped ship, though, following Gibson's earlier announcement that development was to be discontinued.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm

I'd guess that quite a few jumped because of people's previous experience with Opcode. I don't think that any of their products were ever revived.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Folderol » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Not a user myself, but pleased to see this has been rescued, for the sake of the users and the devs.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:37 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'd guess that quite a few jumped because of people's previous experience with Opcode. I don't think that any of their products were ever revived.

You're right James, Opcode survived around a year after Gibson bought them and never re-surfaced, though some of their staff were involved in later industry products. Opcode was actually founded the same year as SOS, 1985.

I've still got my copies of Vision, Studio Vision, Max and Studio 4 OMS MIDI interface in my loft. I can never quite bring myself to chuck stuff out. :(

I can foresee a future Sonar update to allow easy, quick export and upload of files to BandLab's cloud systems, if only for the marketing/awareness aspect amongst Sonar users. [Note: I have no inside knowledge of such an update; I am merely second-guessing.]
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,072 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby resistorman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:17 pm

It’s no wonder Gibson is going under with bone headed decisions like this. Why couldn’t they have quietly sold Cakewalk in the first place? They really devalued the brand.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:48 pm

resistorman wrote:It’s no wonder Gibson is going under with bone headed decisions like this. Why couldn’t they have quietly sold Cakewalk in the first place? They really devalued the brand.

Where have you been? Do *any* research into Henry J's decisions over the years, and you'll wonder why he was at the helm so long, or just what level of competence it takes to run a sizeable US company... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm

desmond wrote:
Where have you been? Do *any* research into Henry J's decisions over the years, and you'll wonder why he was at the helm so long, or just what level of competence it takes to run a sizeable US company... :headbang:

I guess I've been totally disinterested in whatever Gibson has been doing, which is saying something right there...
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby CS70 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 pm

desmond wrote:Where have you been? Do *any* research into Henry J's decisions over the years, and you'll wonder why he was at the helm so long, or just what level of competence it takes to run a sizeable US company... :headbang:

Have you noticed who is at the helm of the entire US at the moment? :D

Cherry-o for Sonar tough. :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby resistorman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am

CS70 wrote:
Have you noticed who is at the helm of the entire US at the moment? :D

:lol:
resistorman
Frequent Poster