You are here

Making an Industrial Style Studio Desk, Need Feedback

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Making an Industrial Style Studio Desk, Need Feedback

Postby vindustrial » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 pm

I'm getting back into recording and decided to make a desk for my S61 keyboard. So I'd love to get some feedback on the design as I am new to this. Been making industrial furniture for 8 years now, so I know how to do that. Just want to make this desk as useful, and good looking as possible! I added some rack space in two spaces on the top, plan on having wiring channels in the back to hide that stuff, the base adjusts up and down a few inches with a wrench to make it more comfortable, etc.

Love to get some feedback, good and bad...

We can make them in other colors too.

These could be customized in a million different ways, size, finish, compartments, drawers, etc...
vindustrial

Re: Making an Industrial Style Studio Desk, Need Feedback

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 am

Very nice.

One thing to consider is the keyboard drawer - everyone thinks about the length, but the height is critical as is the amount it will come out. My desk / workstation was fine when I had a Kurzweil PC3K8, but the Korg Kronos is just a bit taller and needs to come out further to be useable. Most of the time, it's just a controller, but when I need it, then it's a hassle to get to the controls and screen. So I'm contemplating detaching the drawer base and installing long, flat arms to the runners to give me the extra depth and height needed.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 am

vindustrial wrote:I'm getting back into recording and decided to make a desk for my S61 keyboard. So I'd love to get some feedback on the design as I am new to this.

Looks nice! Functionally and as of design it's very similar to mine, minus the keyboard which I don't use. Mine is way uglier though as it's made using an IKEA desk :)

One issue I met was when I move from one to two 27 inches screens. The desk was suddenly too short to have in line left monitor-screen 1-screen 2-right monitor.

So if you are in building phase, you may consider to make the desk longer than it suffices for one monitor if it isn't already.

On my side, to solve this I have been looking for some monitor stands to attach on the sides of the desk - but can't find anything that I can buy (I found some which would work great pictured at https://martinandziegler.com/sites/defa ... 3dYtixxM1B but no idea where to buy them).

So I'm building two contraptions to securely attach the upper pipes of my current stands to the sides of the desk, using a metal L-shaped base, half-moon clampers and rubber to keep things from vibrating. Gonna make it very industrial but one's got to do what one's got to do..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby vindustrial » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:09 pm

I appreciate the feedback! I designed the keyboard drawer to be oversized for this one. It has around 4" of space behind it, and the slides are oversized so it can be pulled out pretty far. That way you can make it come to you. It would be removable though as it'll bolt to the wood, so it could be replaced in the future without to much hassle, just in case.

And since the space it's going in is a little tight, it's not super wide. I figured if I ever did get more screens I could get speaker stands. I'd have to put it somewhere else though as there isn't room in my den for that. Can an iMac or Macbook run multiple monitors? I never considered that?

Once I test this guy out, I want to try this with one of our crank bases. The Bronx table would be pretty sweet as the height adjusts easily and it has more shin room...

vindustrial

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 pm

The OP appears to be a commercial company making promotional product posts ... but these are clearly of relevance and interest so I've moved them to the New Products forum.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby resistorman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 pm

The metal sides look nice with the protruding lip, but invariably some things will need a bit more room, so I’d make it flush. They’d be useful for keeping pencils from rolling off, though! Well, if anyone used them anymore :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com