You are here

50% import duty on US mixer/recorders?

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

50% import duty on US mixer/recorders?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 am

Following Trump's nonsense over European steel imports, the EU has come up retaliatory plans published here:

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2 ... 156909.pdf

And in Annex II at the bottom of page 15 is this entry:

85437006 -- Digital signal processing apparatus capable of connecting to a wired or wireless network for the mixing of sound. Tariff: 50%

From a casual reading of the convoluted text at the top of the document it appears the EU plan imposed the Annex I tariffs from 20th June this year (ie. already in force), but the annex 2 tariffs won't be introduced until 23 March 2021.... (or 5 days after the WTO rule in the EU's favour).... I think!

So, if you want a Sound Devices mixer/recorder or a Mackie DL mixing desk it might be wise to buy sooner rather than later to avoid a 50% price hike! :o

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: 50% import duty on US mixer/recorders?

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 pm

The loss of one-third of the World's market will crash some companies that are already on the brink of failure. Avid springs to mind almost immediately!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Since the Americans seem to sue everybody for anything all the time I wonder if Sound Devices, Mackie et al could bring a Class Action against Trump for loss of revenue?

Air Bus have also given out dire warnings today.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Ouch! Time for the UK audio hardware industry to rise again? (Lives in hope...)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

The Elf wrote:Ouch! Time for the UK audio hardware industry to rise again? (Lives in hope...)

But we'd STILL have to import all the components!

Mrs T did not like indigenous manufacturers.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby dpete » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Most of bigger US companies are manufacturing in China or elsewhere offshore. Seems they should be work their way around tariffs. The boutique outfits will suffer (API?) unless they figure a way around these problems. (send CAD files to Europe and work done there?)
dpete
New here

Re: 50% import duty on US mixer/recorders? Butthe good news is...

Postby Brian M Rose » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:47 pm

But the good news (at the moment at least)
Televisual Magazine has a report this month about the film industry. Latest figures from the BFI show that some £2.83bn being spent on film and high-end TV drama of which £2.37bn is inward investment (nearly all USA). This is a 25% rise over 2016.
Indeed, it's becoming hard to find space and new film/tv studios are being built.
It puts the creative industries way ahead. I can remember when Mrs Thatcher very nearly destroyed the entire industry - actually introducing tax dis-incentives.
And much of this it has to be said is down to British talent.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Tax incentives are bringing US productions to Canada in droves with the requisite building of film lots and studios. In Canada provinces compete by seeing who can offer the best incentives sometimes areas of a province will offer a better rate than the provinces rate.

On the up side people in the biz and the feeder industries are working.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby ronmac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Tax incentives are bringing US productions to Canada in droves with the requisite building of film lots and studios. In Canada provinces compete by seeing who can offer the best incentives sometimes areas of a province will offer a better rate than the provinces rate.

Nova Scotia radically changed the tax structure in 2016 with a very quick negative impact on the local film scene. I haven’t had a good job since then.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 pm

I've gone off Canada since they decided to cease production of 'One Upon a Time'. Whaaaaa! :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: ;)

That's a wound that will take time to heal...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:09 pm

ronmac wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:Tax incentives are bringing US productions to Canada in droves with the requisite building of film lots and studios. In Canada provinces compete by seeing who can offer the best incentives sometimes areas of a province will offer a better rate than the provinces rate.

Nova Scotia radically changed the tax structure in 2016 with a very quick negative impact on the local film scene. I haven’t had a good job since then.

Ahh yes. Perhaps I should have said that people in the biz in the areas with the best tax rebates are working. Sorry to hear the bstrd politicians buggered it up for you. I live a few hours north of Toronto but if I lived just a few kilometers further north I would probably get more work as I would be in the current incentive area.

and Mr. Elf - Canada has heard your frustrations and we are frantically trying to raise the funding for a show to be called Coronation Cul-De-Sac. :D :D :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Howdy Y'All, what sticks in my craw is the cost of post and import duty (including that imposed on used goods!) that has to be paid on items bought from the USA.

I bought a spare part for an effects unit I have, the cost of the part £23,00 the total cost of post and import duty to the UK £67.00!!!!!

On the other hand I bought a whatever it was from China, the cost of the item was £4,99 and post was free!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 pm

Sigh. All I can say is I’m sorry that my country is being run by even bigger fools than usual....
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com