You are here

Sound Devices MixPre V3.00

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Sound Devices MixPre V3.00

Postby Paul Isaacs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Many new features and improvements ...

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/do ... /?device=6
Paul Isaacs
Poster
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC

Re: Sound Devices MixPre V3.00

Postby Dan LB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Looks excellent.......

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm

With Ambisonic support too. :thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Just installed this firmware onto a MixPre-10m and MixPre-3 - all good.

Dug out a Korg Nanocontrol Studio that I wasn't using elsewhere and it works spot-on with the MixPre - this is super cool!

And I happened to have a space in my road case for it.

How about this for the ultimate portable recording solution:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 pm

:sick: green with envy... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 pm

That's normally my state regarding you!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dan LB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Nice kit Bob! I'm with Hugh on this one :sick: :D

I'm at work right now but will be installing V3.00 onto my MixPre 6 as soon as I get home!

Dan :beamup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Quick question:

As I understand it, there are different types of A-format and B-format (please correct me if I'm wrong), so..... would the new Ambisonics mode allow real-time monitoring of the new RODE NT-SF1?
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 pm

No, the A-format is a strictly defined arrangement of four sub-cardioid capsules, used by the Sennheiser, rode, soundfield and other ambisonic arrays.

The A-format isnt any use as it is, so is normally converted to the (equally precisely defined) B-format from which it can be further processed to provide a variety of different mono, stereo or surround sound outputs. The B-format can be generated directly (although it is very difficult to do so with height) and some Ambisonic mics (like the higher-end Soundfield's) convert from A- to B-format internally.

Having said that, there are a couple of different arrangements of channel order of B-format signals. Traditionally, it was WXYZ, but there are now formats like AmbiX and FuMa which use WZYX which makes the signal processing easier when used within the higher-order Ambisonic formats.

And to answer your question, yes the new ambisonic plugin for the MixPre allows headphone monitoring of both A-format and B-format signals, with both AmbiX and FuMa formats supported, along with four-channel ganged preamp options etc.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby wireman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 am

Pre-roll now supported on some models, that makes these a lot more interesting to me.
wireman
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:00 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:No, the A-format is a strictly defined arrangement of four sub-cardioid capsules, used by the Sennheiser, rode, soundfield and other ambisonic arrays.

The A-format isnt any use as it is, so is normally converted to the (equally precisely defined) B-format from which it can be further processed to provide a variety of different mono, stereo or surround sound outputs. The B-format can be generated directly (although it is very difficult to do so with height) and some Ambisonic mics (like the higher-end Soundfield's) convert from A- to B-format internally.

Having said that, there are a couple of different arrangements of channel order of B-format signals. Traditionally, it was WXYZ, but there are now formats like AmbiX and FuMa which use WZYX which makes the signal processing easier when used within the higher-order Ambisonic formats.

And to answer your question, yes the new ambisonic plugin for the MixPre allows headphone monitoring of both A-format and B-format signals, with both AmbiX and FuMa formats supported, along with four-channel ganged preamp options etc.

Thanks for that Hugh. The whole ambisonics thing is completely new to me and I'm finding some of it confusing. :thumbup:

Dan

EDIT: I've just installed the Ambisonics plugin on my MixPre-6 and have had a quick read of the accompanying manual and things are becoming a lot clearer (and after reading your post Hugh)! Many thanks.

For anyone interested, said manual can be found here: https://store.sounddevices.com/wp-conte ... -UG_en.pdf
Dan LB
Frequent Poster