You are here

Important info regarding Yahoo Groups.

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Important info regarding Yahoo Groups.

Postby David Etheridge » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am

Hi folks,
Yahoo has announced the following:

"All members please note.
Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 21, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN310 ... sions=true

PLEASE COPY ANYTHING YOU NEED OFF THIS SITE NOW !"

This seems particularly insane, so if you belong to a synth or recording Yahoo group, get downloading those archives asap... :madas:

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Re: Important info regarding Yahoo Groups.

Postby David Etheridge » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 pm

David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Re: Important info regarding Yahoo Groups.

Postby dubbmann » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi David,

You beat me to posting this news. Here's an update from an article in Slate This is so obnoxious for those of us who were active groups members back in the day (late 90s/early 2000s) when they were the best way to exchange info and ideas w/ others. I was a member of dozens of music-related sites (Korg Oasys, Roland, ....). There was lots of good info. A few years back I even posted a query on SOS asking if there was anything that had replaced Yahoo Groups - excepting Facebook, which I have resolutely refused to use since well before we learned of the insidious ways that they mine our personal data and sell it to advertisers (free plug here for the book "Surveillance Capitalism" by Shoshana Zuboff, ex of Harvard Business School - probably the most important book published in the last year, maybe the last decade). Anyway, I hope the Internet Archive has managed to capture the Yahoo Groups content - I'll dig around and report back if I find anything.

Here's the Slate article link and a few paragraphs from it.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/12/ya ... ntent.html

"Update, Dec. 10, 2019: Verizon is extending the deadline for users to rescue their content from Yahoo Groups—but it appears it will continue to block volunteers trying to mass-archive content from the platform. A Verizon Media spokesperson told Slate in a statement, “In response to our users’ requests, we have decided to extend the deadline for requesting to download data from Yahoo Groups to Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:59pm PST. Individual Groups users can use this tool to download any content he or she posted on Yahoo Groups. On Sunday, December 15, 2019, the content will no longer be available or viewable from the groups.yahoo.com site, but we will not delete it until all requests submitted prior to the above deadline have been completed.” When asked why the 128 volunteer archivists were banned, the spokesperson noted that the company’s terms of service prohibit users from downloading content that isn’t their own and from deploying third-party tools to extract content from its systems.

PCMag is reporting that archivists are criticizing Verizon Media’s response as meaningless, because the extended deadline only applies to individual users who want to save their own content, not volunteers who are trying to preserve content across the site. In addition, the download tool that Yahoo Groups is providing only retrieves text; photos and other files still have to be downloaded individually.

Original article: In October, Yahoo announced plans to shut down its 18-year-old platform for forums and email lists, Yahoo Groups, and delete all of its contents on Dec. 14—this Saturday. After that, Yahoo will only maintain the service’s mailing list functions. While Yahoo Groups’ popularity has been dwindling for a while now, the announcement sent the tens of thousands of users who still use the service in a frenzy to save the nearly two decades of old messages, photos, polls, databases, and other material. But it appears that Yahoo and its parent company, Verizon, are making it exceedingly difficult for these archivists to even access the platform"
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/ http://www.phichibe.com