You are here

Behringer Wing

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Re: Behringer Wing

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:38 pm

The Elf wrote:Then it's all about price...

$3500, apparently.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WING--behringer-wing-48-channel-digital-mixer
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Thomann are showing £2,566.06.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:32 pm

... and here's me wondering if I can justify 90 quid for a new soldering station {sigh}
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:56 pm

Yes. Next question...
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Only eight simultaneous mic inputs?

Only eight local, onboard mic inputs.... but up to 144 remote stage-box mics inputs...

Would that be enough for Sir? :lol:

I was hoping for 145 remote mic inputs, the minimum requirement for one of my gigs, and that's just the drums, so I won't be buying one on that basis alone.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 am

darn it! Another sale lost... :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:45 am

That's a lot of cowbells, Arpy. You do realise that the phrase "more cowbell" is just a joke? ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Ok this looks amazing...

I can't afford it and can't justify using the credit card so I will have to resort to selling my kidneys.

Any takers?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 pm

I'm in the same boat: don't need it, couldn't justify it, and can't afford it anyway.
But I still want one. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:39 am

New video up and a few things I've gleaned so far from it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtF3BPlrIxo

the user fader layers can be ANYTHING, so you could have for example the lead vocal on fader 1, the aux send for the lead vocals reverb on fader 2 and fader 3 could be an effect parameter.
Seems to be full 48 stereo channels, so up to 96 mixable channels! with the aux inputs (if I understand the video correctly).

Stageconnect is self configuring, so you can daisy chain a load of devices, it will look at those devices, see what the I/o requirement of each is and configure the 32 channels accordingly.

The WING-LIVE recording card contains two chipsets so it can be used either as a 64 channel recorder/playback, dual 32ch for backup purposes or one could be playback and one could be for record.

Channel dynamics have different emulations available (i.e. different eq emulations, different vintage compressor options Etc.) that do not take up any FX slots.

Lastly, it supposedly has between 4-5X the processing power of the X32!

Also possibly a digital mixer BELOW the X-AIR line, so un-imaginably cheap!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:35 am

Oh and according to one of the beta testers it boots in 7 seconds!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:00 am

I'm still having trouble, in what radical way is this mixer different from the X32? It obviously is, but is it just more DSP, effects etc? What would be the benefits if choosing this over an X32?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:03 am

We really don't know yet. Wait until it's actually out and reviewed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:31 am

To follow up on one of the things that's of specific interest to me...

So far I'm told (unofficially) that the network ports on the back-left of the unit can be designated as Dante, or SoundGrid (Waves), as an 'internal expansion' option. How that option is chosen, implemented and priced is as yet a mystery.

If this is true it leaves the 'external expansion slot' free to do the SD card recording - joy spreads through the land and the fish leave the rivers and go to live in the trees...

If I learn more I'll add it here.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm

The Elf wrote:To follow up on one of the things that's of specific interest to me...

So far I'm told (unofficially) that the network ports on the back-left of the unit can be designated as Dante, or SoundGrid (Waves), as an 'internal expansion' option. How that option is chosen, implemented and priced is as yet a mystery.

If this is true it leaves the 'external expansion slot' free to do the SD card recording - joy spreads through the land and the fish leave the rivers and go to live in the trees...

Yes that is correct, supposedly it's specified at the ordering stage, the new video shows and talks about the internal slot, looks like the same type of slot as a mini-PCI card.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:02 pm

DGL. wrote:
The Elf wrote:To follow up on one of the things that's of specific interest to me...

Yes that is correct, supposedly it's specified at the ordering stage, the new video shows and talks about the internal slot, looks like the same type of slot as a mini-PCI card.
That sounds like an annoying overhead to carry - factory or retailer. Maybe they think most people won't even ask.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 am

Arpangel wrote:I'm still having trouble, in what radical way is this mixer different from the X32? It obviously is, but is it just more DSP, effects etc? What would be the benefits if choosing this over an X32?

Seems more has been added in regard to it operating as a control surface and the simultaneous record and playback is really useful - to me anyway. I was on the cusp of buying either an x32 or qu24 but neither of them quite fit the criteria I have, the WING apparently seems to
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:03 am

I'm in the market for the wing. I'm looking for a desk upgrade for my Qu16, which I think is a brilliant piece of gear but obviously limited in channel counts and digital connectivity.

If the wing provides me a reasonable means (possibly with an analogue I/O breakout box) to plumb in 25+ stero sources such that I can whack them into my DAW as a seriously useful number of digital connections, either over USB, via a new card in the PC or via a separate interface to connect the two then I'll be all over it assuming it's not a turkey in implementation.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on it.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby DGL. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm in the market for the wing. I'm looking for a desk upgrade for my Qu16, which I think is a brilliant piece of gear but obviously limited in channel counts and digital connectivity.

If the wing provides me a reasonable means (possibly with an analogue I/O breakout box) to plumb in 25+ stero sources such that I can whack them into my DAW as a seriously useful number of digital connections, either over USB, via a new card in the PC or via a separate interface to connect the two then I'll be all over it assuming it's not a turkey in implementation.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on it.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you want analogue or digital inputs in to the Wing.
By analogue I mean either with one of the stageboxes (either AES50 or one of the new stageconnect boxes when the are released) and by digital I mean ADAT, SPDI/F, AES3 Etc.
At the moment only DANTE, WSG and MADI will be available as optional digital inputs, along with the 3 AES50 SuperMAC, stageconnect and AES3 in/out.

All methods for input will give you 40 fully featured stereo inputs and 8 stereo AUX inputs for 96 mixable channels (although you can't separate the stereo channels and have 96 mono channels).
As for getting signals into a computer you can either use the internal 48x48 channel USB audio interface or if more channels are needed then 64x64 channels are supported via one of the internal or user replaceable option cards (believed to be DANTE or WSG internally or via the option card slot with MADI using the option card slot only).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:14 am

Good food for thought, thank you.

Unlike many here, my experience with digital connectivity is somewhat limited as since moving away from an analogue desk (I used S/P DIF for a few things through a converter but I don't think that counts) I've either done everything over USB or in the box so I have some catching up to do.

My hope is that I can find something that allows me to have everything in here connected up such that I can turn any device on and record it without having to muck about with repatching and/or submixing.

Especially true as I've got ambitious plans for the coming months and I want a setup that 'just works' for everything in order to minimise interruptions to the creative process.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

PreviousNext