You are here

Krackle Killers™ - cleaning plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Krackle Killers™ - cleaning plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets

Postby KrackleKillers » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:52 am

Hi Folks!
My guess is this new product is likely to be of use to a fair few members here.

Introducing Krackle Killers™ - the world’s first purpose-built cleaner plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets, as used in virtually all electric instruments, effects pedals, amplifiers, pieces of recording equipment and much, much more.

So, what do these Krackle Killers™ really do?

Let’s start by stating the problem I sought to fix when I invented Krackle Killers:
As we all know, open plug sockets allow dirt and corrosion to enter your instrument, amplifier or effects unit.

The result is at minimum an eventually noisy socket, which produces unpleasant, crackly noises when a plug is inserted or moved around (say when you move your guitar and the lead moves within the instrument's output socket).

At worst, it can result in a connection that produces frequent "crackles" or even becomes unreliable.

This is especially so in the case of equipment fitted with an exhaust fan (the fan effectively turns the unit into a vacuum cleaner, sucking crud into the equipment, which once again settles on connector contacts).

Enter Krackle Killers™ – the world’s first purpose-built cleaner plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets.

Here’s a video where we demonstrate how Krackle Killers work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPj-j-A ... e=youtu.be

Simply moisten a Krackle Killer plug with quality electronic contact cleaner and insert it in the socket to be cleaned. Remove and re-insert it a number of times (the grimier the socket, the more applications might be needed).

In seconds you’ve solved the age-old problem of how to clean your output/input sockets without having to either dismantle or damage them in the process!

Don’t just take my word for it, though. I’d like to offer you a special introductory discount so you can secure a package of Krackle Killers™ and evaluate them for yourself.

Just buy your Krackle Killers through the http://kracklekillers.com site to receive a $2 discount per packet enter the coupon code “9S5HV3B8” to receive the discount.

So, what are you waiting for? Click here http://kracklekillers.com/shop to order your Krackle Killers™ cleaning plugs today! The discount offer runs until the 19th of February, 2020.

Thanks very much for your time – I hope once you’ve tried them that you will agree with me that Krackle Killers™ are indeed a great way to “silence the static” and keep your signal clean and clear.

For further information, you’ll find our web-site at: https://www.kracklekillers.com

Regards,
David Benham
CEO, Krackle Killers Inc.
KrackleKillers
New here

Re: Krackle Killers™ - cleaning plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi David, and welcome to the SOS forums.

KrackleKillers wrote:Introducing Krackle Killers™ - the world’s first purpose-built cleaner plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets...

I wish you all the best with your product, but you might want to rethink that claim!

There have been 'purpose-built cleaning plugs' -- or 'burnishers' -- available for professional 1/4-inch 'B-type' sockets (and for TT sockets) for longer than I've been in the business which is 40 years.

For example: https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/22245/20-053_JACKFIELD-SOLVENT-INJECTOR-B-gauge Image

And there's a proper A-type one too, available from StudioSpares and elsewhere:

https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Connectors/Burnisher-Type-A-Jack_402940.htm Image

And, although I don't think it is in production any more, there was also the (patent pending) 'Conductool' which was designed to 'treat and revive' instrument 1/4-inch jack sockets. I've got one and it works a treat... had it for years (if not a decade) now...

img112.jpg

Just FYI... I'm sure your product is very good -- send us a review model and we'll gladly test it for the magazine -- and it might be the only one currently in production specifically intended for instrument sockets... but it certainly isn't 'the World's first'...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Krackle Killers™ - cleaning plugs for ¼” audio and musical instrument sockets

Postby KrackleKillers » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi Hugh,
Thanks for your comments / advice. I'll modify the promo materials accordingly.

Mind you, I'll plead:
a) ignorance to this point of the Conductool (thanks very much for the image/heads-up), but its method, contruction and form factor, I believe is substantially different from my device's...

and

b) (I know it verges on semantics, but hear me out here...) while I knew of the Vertigo products, but I'd only seen reference to them as cleaning fluid injectors rather than burnishers. I would have categorised them as tools rather than mere "plugs" - especially as they're made of steel and they cost way more than / aren't really "disposable" as my plugs are).

Nevertheless, I take your point and stand corrected. The "world's first" line will go and I'll rephrase things to more accurately reflect the product's attributes.

As regards getting you some samples, I'd be more than happy to do so. Should I direct them to you? Or another of your colleagues? Also, what specific address is preferable?

Once again, thanks very much for your advice.

Regards,
Dave
KrackleKillers
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:04 pm

KrackleKillers wrote: ...ignorance to this point of the Conductool (thanks very much for the image/heads-up), but its method, contruction and form factor, I believe is substantially different from my device's...

It is, but the intended function is the same, and it predates yours by a considerable margin.

Nevertheless, I take your point and stand corrected. The "world's first" line will go and I'll rephrase things to more accurately reflect the product's attributes.

Good plan. From what I can see, your product has some very attractive properties in its own right, and there's no other competition of which I'm aware at anything like the same cost.

As regards getting you some samples, I'd be more than happy to do so. Should I direct them to you? Or another of your colleagues? Also, what specific address is preferable?

I'll mail you.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Did this product take off? It doesn't seem to address a common problem - dirty switching contacts that the plug DOESN'T directly touch.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:59 pm

None of the inserted type of cleaning plugs can reach those contacts physically, obviously.

The professional burnishing plugs with injector ports can potentially, depending on the socket construction, spray contact cleaner onto the open switch contacts... but it's a rather haphazard solution.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm

I've always been fairly lucky with crackly sockets, in that I don't think I've ever had one. I've had a few physical breaks over the years (strangely, usually the sustain pedal socket on a synth). Cables seem to be more of an issue for me.

The one exception was when I stored a large analogue desk for some years vertically on its front end. It was originally covered, but at some point that got dislodged and the desk was a complete fail after accumulating several cubic metres* of dust, fluff and whatever else that had descended into the myriad of sockets from above ;-)

I note also that Krackle Killers* are still claiming to be the world's first on their website :roll:

That said, it does look like a handy thing to have lying around in the studio for those occasional moments.

* well, a lot, anyway
* I refuse to reproduce the thing after the name when used in normal prose, it's a trait I dislike
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby KrackleKillers » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:Did this product take off? It doesn't seem to address a common problem - dirty switching contacts that the plug DOESN'T directly touch.

Hi Exalted Wombat,
Did it take off? Well, I'm trying to get some awareness up about it at present, so I suppose time will tell.

Re the usefulness in cleaning the "switch" part of switching contacts, it's not what they were intended to address. The idea is that it can deliver contact cleaner to the bearing (i.e. plug-contacting) surfaces of sockets and (relatively) non-abrasively rub off gunk that has collected there.

As per the description I posted above, think of all the many devices with non-switching sockets (guitars, basses, keyboards, amps, effects units, many basic desks et al) and I suppose as a kind of "bonus", the plug-contacting surfaces of switching sockets.

Getting to the "switch" part of a switching socket is indeed tricky and beyond the scope of this product. Assuming I haven't misunderstood the part you're referring to, then we're talking about a switch that is behind the interior "tongue" of the socket, no?

Whenever I've had a problem with one of those (admittedly rarely as I've done minimal servicing of those types of devices), I've had to resort to dismantling the device to at least some degree and then plucking out crap caught in the gap between those contacts with something like a toothpick soaked in contact cleaner.

I'd imagine the posters here have most likely all got much cleverer methods for doing that, but as per above, that isn't the point of Krackle Killers.

Thanks very much for your interest/advice.

Regards,
Dave
KrackleKillers
New here

Postby KrackleKillers » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 pm

Thanks for the comments, Eddy.

My interest in coming up with a solution for this stemmed from over 40 years of wrestling with crackly sockets in (mostly) electric guitars and basses, but also occasionally effects units and small p.a. desks, etc..

Maybe I'm just a trouble magnet, but the instruments I've had to tidy up as either a restorer/reseller of poorly-maintained / superannuated instruments or merely my own cruddy axes have had a fairly high incidence of output jacks that crackled, farted or flat-out don't work, but responded well to cleaning of the jacks.

In any case, when I thought of this product, it seemed to me the sort of thing you could take on gigs along with a small can of contact cleaner and tidy up any crackles that cropped up without having to dismantle anything. Perhaps I'm looking to solve a problem that other people don't generally have, but I thought it worth seeing whether anyone else might find it useful.

As regards the "world's first" mention still being on the site, I think I've removed them all now (I'm in Australia, so I've only just got out of bed a couple of hours ago), but please let me know if you can still see any that have snuck through.

As you can see from the site, I'm VERY lumpy in using WordPress - I was much happier when I was doing sites in NotePad or Dreamweaver or any number of now-defunct web editors, but I've been seduced by the ease of having an online store module that I didn't have to write from scratch.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your comments. I'm finding them very useful in correcting / improving the promo material.

Eddy Deegan wrote:I've always been fairly lucky with crackly sockets, in that I don't think I've ever had one. I've had a few physical breaks over the years (strangely, usually the sustain pedal socket on a synth). Cables seem to be more of an issue for me.

The one exception was when I stored a large analogue desk for some years vertically on its front end. It was originally covered, but at some point that got dislodged and the desk was a complete fail after accumulating several cubic metres* of dust, fluff and whatever else that had descended into the myriad of sockets from above ;-)

I note also that Krackle Killers* are still claiming to be the world's first on their website :roll:

That said, it does look like a handy thing to have lying around in the studio for those occasional moments.

* well, a lot, anyway
* I refuse to reproduce the thing after the name when used in normal prose, it's a trait I dislike
KrackleKillers
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 am

I knew I'd seen it before, but couldn't remember where... but Paul White has reminded me that there's a proper A-type version of the 'Injecting Burnisher' available from StudioSpares (and presumably other stockists elsewhere):

https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Connectors/Burnisher-Type-A-Jack_402940.htm Image

The Krackle Killers look to be a very effective means of cleaning sockets and I look forward to giving them a go in due course. But while they are less expensive than the hardware burnishers, they are disposable whereas the burnishers aren't... which will be something to take into consideration.

Regarding the socket switching contacts -- as used in mixer insert sockets and the like -- there is no effective way of cleaning them from outside the unit, sadly.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 am

KrackleKillers wrote:As regards the "world's first" mention still being on the site, I think I've removed them all now (I'm in Australia, so I've only just got out of bed a couple of hours ago), but please let me know if you can still see any that have snuck through.

David, it might be worth explaining that the forum members here are generally very supportive and positive people. We don't have the 'haters' here that you'll find on other sites, and so I don't want you to misread Eddy's comments -- or mine for that matter -- as having negative overtones -- he just wants things done right.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:We don't have the 'haters' here that you'll find on other sites, and so I don't want you to misread Eddy's comments -- or mine for that matter -- as having negative overtones -- he just wants things done right.

Absolutely - sorry if my previous comment came across as critical of the product, it wasn't intended to be and my 'tm' jibe was slightly tongue in cheek. Checking again, the 'world first' claim I mentioned is no longer there and I can't see one anywhere else so I think you've removed them all now!

I wish you the best with the product, I do think it's a very good idea, especially as the disposable Krackle Killers are a lot cheaper than the burnished metal solutions and as such there is a strong argument for using Krackle Killers in situations where crackling sockets are relatively rare and also, as you said, for popping in the pocket to take to gigs or other events.

I wish you the best with the product, and I reckon you could do worse than send SOS a sample to have a look at if you haven't already :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Disposable?
Don't care for that at all.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Well, it's gonna get grubby eventually, so it will have to be disposable... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Well, it's gonna get grubby eventually, so it will have to be disposable... :lol:

Well maybe but FCS let us not unleash another product on the world with the idea at the start that it is disposable?

When I dig a jack plug out of the junk tin I just give it a spin in a scouring pad and the merest smear of WD-40 . Same principle can be used for jacks.

Re the switch contacts, this is a common problem with guitar amps when they don't get used for years. The contacts tarnish and then don't link through. You used to be able to buy relay contact cleaners? Paper strips impregnated with very fine abrasive (Diamond was claimed!)
The procedure was to open the contact with a plug, insert strip, remove plug and draw drip out. One pass was almost always sufficient. A tiny bit of WD stopped further trouble.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next