You are here

Sound Level Meter - £10

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Sound Level Meter - £10

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:56 pm

For those of you who still do not have your own pet sound level meter (a must-have if you are setting up any listening environment such as a control or listening room or doing live sound) Lidl UK is selling a pretty decent digital sound meter from Sunday 2nd August onwards for just £10.

They are also selling a laser distance meter for £20 which is a brilliant thing to have for film and video work.

On the same day, they are selling non-contact voltage meters and other similar meters for £5 each for those of you who are DIY'ing your own studios in the near future, as well as a variety of tools from Scheppach.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Sound Level Meter - £10

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Ooh... sounds like a fun trip to Lidl again. Thanks RB :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm

They are also selling a laser distance meter for £20 which is a brilliant thing to have for film and video work.
I always cringe when I hear about a readily available laser device - the damage they can do in the wrong hands.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby wireman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:53 pm

This one I presume.

Funnily enough I just had my washing machine replaced, 71dBA on spin if my iphone NIOSH app is to be believed. Would have been nice to have a real sound meter.

Having said that the person I talked to at Bosch deflated me a bit "I have no idea at 71 decibels means".
wireman
Regular

Postby wireman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:59 pm

MOF wrote:
I always cringe when I hear about a readily available laser device - the damage they can do in the wrong hands.

My Leica Disto (which I really like for measuring distances) has some warnings...

The device produces visible laser beams, which are emitted from the instrument:
It is a Class 2 laser product in accordance with:
• IEC60825-1 : 2007 „Radiation safety of laser products“

Laser Class 2 products:
Do not stare into the laser beam or direct it towards other people unnecessarily. Eye
protection is normally afforded by aversion responses including the blink reflex.

WARNING
Looking directly into the beam with optical aids (e.g. binoculars, telescopes) can be
hazardous.

CAUTION
Looking into the laser beam may be hazardous to the eyes

Not that anyone reads manuals nowadays...
wireman
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm

wireman wrote:Having said that the person I talked to at Bosch deflated me a bit "I have no idea at 71 decibels means".

I think it's just their way of gently telling you you have a loud shirt :D
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby The Elf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:04 am

Grabbed one of those sound meters. It seems OK for the money.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Stratman57 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:25 am

Visited the local newly built Lidl, got the sound meter, and also a 13 amp socket tester, great buy at only £5. Very useful for live sound, if we ever get back to playing live.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 am

I got to Lidl at 10 am and we live in a country district, so hardly the area where you would expect audio level meters to be a hot item - of the 20 delivered, just six were left. Of the ten table saws, all were gone! From the ten scroll saws just two were left - I bought one (£60) and ALL the small test meters were gone. I bought one distance meter combined cable detector for £20.

Two weeks ago they were selling cordless hedge-trimmers (RRP £120) for £25 and the charger with 2Ahr battery for £20 (RRP £80) and the 4Ahr battery (RRP £80) for £20. OK, these were badged 'Parkside' and the RRP are for the identical hedge trimmer in grey under a different brand - but it gives one an idea just how high the mark-up is on these things!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Got one, v nice.

Good call, thanks tRB.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:22 pm

The 20 quid laser ranger/leveller/detector is pretty good too. I'm baffled by it, but at least I know I have one when it's needed! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.