You are here

Check out SOS Podcast on Cranborne Audio

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Check out SOS Podcast on Cranborne Audio

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

For those who live only in the murky depths of SOS Forumland, you might well have missed this wonderful interview by SOS Technical Editor Hugh Robjohns with co-founder and MD of Cranborne Audio, Sean Karpowicz, in the latest SOS Podcast.

Give it a listen on your favourite podcast platform or here:
https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/cranborne-audio-behind-brand-podcast

Enjoy.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,489 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Re: Check out SOS Podcast on Cranborne Audio

Postby Zukan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 pm

Excellent! Thanks Knower.
Zukan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm

I can't say nice enough things about Cranborne. Not only are they really nice people, but they really do put quality above anything else while keeping their prices as sensible as they possibly can. And they're designing really well thought-out, brilliantly engineered products that sound superb and are so easy to use.

I thought the Camden-500 preamp was excellent, and their two 500-racks are very elegant and practical solutions too. But the new EC2 dual-channel rack mount preamp with two headphone amps is utter perfection! I had to possess one, it's easily that good! One of the quietest and most versatile preamps I now own. I'd put in in GML territory for transparency, yet it can be made to sound like it's full of rich transformers or creamy valves at the tweak of a knob if that's what you want! Utterly brilliant!

Cranborne is a very, very shiny jewel in the UK pro-audio scene, and I can't wait to see what they will come up with next.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Well you can't argue with such a positive endorsement from Monsieur Robjohns.

That places the Cranborne Audio EC2 dual-channel rack mount preamp at the very top of my list - if I need another mic preamp that is ;)

And if I finally decide to invest in a 500-series rack, their 500 series mic preamp will also be at the the top of my list.

Quality built-in vintage tone options in an incredibly transparent preamp circuit makes perfect sense to me.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:39 pm

There aren't many products that get me frothy, and at the risk of going on a bit... I've just reviewed a new high-end two-channel preamp that costs 2.5 times as much as the EC2, but good though it was the Cranborne comprehensively out-specc'd it in every department, as well as being a far more versatile and capable product. It really is a no brainer...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:16 am

On my wish list, the Cranborne Audio 500R8...

https://www.cranborne-audio.com/500r8

Even without any modules it's a very tempting piece of kit with excellent connectivity.

Add a pair of Camden 500 modules, a pair of API flavour modules, a pair of SSL flavour modules, and another pair of versatile pre-amp modules you get an awful lot of options for recording and stem mixing. Potentially very expensive, but excellent value for money if you can scrape the pennies together.

Far more than I need right now, but the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing is that I need to clear out a load of stuff to make space.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra