You are here

Announcing The New SOS App! Smartphone & Tablet

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Announcing The New SOS App! Smartphone & Tablet

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:55 pm

All very readable on Samsung s9

Screenshot_20210124-155135_Sound On Sound UK.png

Screenshot_20210124-155627_Sound On Sound UK.png
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:55 pm

I know it's old news now, but just taking a break from the Cobalt 8 review to say I love this new format (and the new issue). Great work all. :thumbup:

Two older devices still work. The iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 introduced in Nov 2013 can also run iOS v12 but have reached their end of life and may not be updated to a more recent iOS. This supports SOS app v11.4.1, and v12.0.2 which will enable you to download and read all of our issues.

I picked up an iPad Mini 2 for this because my v1 couldn't hack it. It's running OS v12.5.1, and SOS v13.1.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:08 pm

This is not about the app - it's about my eyesight! I just need to don my reading specs...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:11 pm

Frankly someone of your "long experience" shouldn't be trying to read mags on a phone. Raid your piggy-hedgehog and get an iPad Pro already. :D

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:18 pm

The Elf wrote:This is not about the app - it's about my eyesight! I just need to don my reading specs...

Well we'll do what we can for you and others.

Good news is yesterday we received a nice email from a visually challenged reader who tries to read the website, and he confirmed the new v13.1 app works beautifully with his screen-reader tool. :thumbup:
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:22 pm

BJG145 wrote:I know it's old news now, but just taking a break from the Cobalt 8 review to say I love this new format (and the new issue). Great work all. :thumbup:

Thanks BJG :thumbup:

We're already looking into removing the advert cells listed on the Contents screen, to shorten the scroll on phones and make it more obvious what is an article. You see the ads as you swipe through the issue 'pages'.

@The Elf - we're experimenting with a larger font size that if OK will roll out from March issue onwards. Full accessibility control isn't currently available to us to implement within the app but we're pushing the developers (as are other publishers who use this platform).
Forum Admin

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Forum Admin wrote:@The Elf - we're experimenting with a larger font size that if OK will roll out from March issue onwards. Full accessibility control isn't currently available to us to implement within the app but we're pushing the developers (as are other publishers who use this platform).
:thumbup:

I suppose I'm just used to PDFs, Kindle and web browsers that allow me to zoom at will. It becomes second nature to expect text to zoom.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Well you get a Full Issue PDF download version as part of the Digital sub precisely to allow you to zoom... but it's not got the bells and whistles navigation or embedded audio of the SOS app version.

The Web articles at www.soundonsound.com/magazine also would allow you to zoom the website page up/down in your browser and on iPad using Safari you could utilise Apple's built-in Reader to set your text size preference that way, perhaps?
Forum Admin

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Well you get a Full Issue PDF download version as part of the Digital sub precisely to allow you to zoom... but it's not got the bells and whistles navigation or embedded audio of the SOS app version.
^^^ This one for my phone, I think.

The new app looks great on my iPad, though! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous