You are here

Come on... show us your sites...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby Rollasoc » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:42 pm

http://www.hairthieves.com

Pop, rock and soudtrackesque soundscapes.

Enjoy
Rollasoc
New here

Postby GlynB » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Gareth Duncan wrote:I've just uploaded my bands website, Sell Crazy. It has taken me a while to do but I think it is looking pretty good. I would think that though seeing as I created it :). I'd be interested to hear what people think of it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I thought the layout was really good. neat and tidy. Didn't like the repetition of so and so will get you so and so bit on the home page, most of the links had obvious meanings in my opinion, you could instead have a 'hover over' explanantion of each link button if you want to explain what each one does?

Also the photos look a bit amateurish. it would be well worht getting someone who knows what they're doing with a camera and get some decent lookinbg ones done. Just some 'constructive' criticism. Good job overall.
GlynB
Regular

Postby Gareth Duncan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks for the comments.

GlynB wrote:
Didn't like the repetition of so and so will get you so and so bit on the home page, most of the links had obvious meanings in my opinion, you could instead have a 'hover over' explanantion of each link button if you want to explain what each one does?

I wasn't sure if it was obvious that the plectrums on the left were suppose to be links. I need to think of a way to make them more obvious then I can remove the explanation from the front page.

GlynB wrote:
Also the photos look a bit amateurish. it would be well worht getting someone who knows what they're doing with a camera and get some decent lookinbg ones done.

I agree completely. They were really just place holders so that I could get the layout right. My skills with a camera are a bit lacking :).

Cheers,

Gareth.
Gareth Duncan
New here

Postby Rick Taylor » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:12 am

Gareth Duncan wrote:Thanks for the comments.

GlynB wrote:
Didn't like the repetition of so and so will get you so and so bit on the home page, most of the links had obvious meanings in my opinion, you could instead have a 'hover over' explanantion of each link button if you want to explain what each one does?

I wasn't sure if it was obvious that the plectrums on the left were suppose to be links. I need to think of a way to make them more obvious then I can remove the explanation from the front page.

I'd just kill the explanations... I think the picks are fine. Maybe they could stand to be bigger. Folk looking for a place to click are not going to have a problem figuring them out as they are. Maybe the text in the logo is a bit small... the curves on the right hand side are a bit rough as well. You might try drawing them in a vector program and exporting them. Sodipodi's been ported to Windows if you don't have something like Illustrator.

GlynB wrote:

Also the photos look a bit amateurish. it would be well worht getting someone who knows what they're doing with a camera and get some decent lookinbg ones done.

I agree completely. They were really just place holders so that I could get the layout right. My skills with a camera are a bit lacking :).

You might just shoot a lot of closeups at a practice some night. Closer is better if the background's a living room. Shoot enough and you should easily come up with usable stuff. You might play with the room lights a bit...

I think I'd do the same thing to the studio shots that you've done to the guitar shots... Or maybe do some sort of set in the basement or the alley or something. Shots of a table in the living room or bedroom look like just that. They don't give you a professional look or set any type of personality for the band. :) Telling the truth is probably good... you don't have to tell folk everything though.

If you do shoot stuff in the living room... close the window unless it's to the side of what you're shooting. Shooting with it at your back is probably better.

I like the guitar closeups...
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Gareth Duncan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:19 pm

Rick Taylor wrote:
the curves on the right hand side are a bit rough as well. You might try drawing them in a vector program and exporting them. Sodipodi's been ported to Windows if you don't have something like Illustrator.

Now you've pointed that out it is all I can see :). I've heard some good stuff about Sodipodi (I'm using Linux) so I'll have to give it a go. Thanks.

Rick Taylor wrote:
You might just shoot a lot of closeups at a practice some night. Closer is better if the background's a living room. Shoot enough and you should easily come up with usable stuff. You might play with the room lights a bit...

Good idea, I just hope poeple can stand closeups of our faces :).

Thanks for the advice.

Gareth.
Gareth Duncan
New here

Postby inocybe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:35 pm

inocybe
Poster

Postby GlynB » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:57 pm

Quite a nice tidy site.

I don't like the use of the bog-standard 'Times new Roman' font, I suggest using Arial., Times NR looks amateurish and your site is better than that. This is really easy to fix.

On the pictures page the small thumb nails wouldn't expand to bigger pictures, is that still work in progress, or is it designed that way just to have little photos?

Overall not too bad.
GlynB
Regular

Postby inocybe » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:23 pm

GlynB, thanks for the comment, really appreciate it. I wonder how come you see the times font (maybe the stylesheet isn't linked properly..)it should use Geneva -> arial ->Helvetia -> sans serif family... I'm a bit puzzled as why this happens, it's not the first time I use a css file .. I've tested the site on all major browsers and platforms. I'm going to look a bit deeper into why this is happening to you (and not to me, so far).

Which browser are you using and which platform you're on? do you have the Geneva font installed ? Are links displayed in blue? or in black?

the small pictures will stay small ;) no need to see them all blown up IMHO.. I like to keep this site simple and easy updatable..
inocybe
Poster

Postby Rowboffin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:19 am

Inocybe:

The font displays correctly in Firefox here but not in IE6. The reason is that IE doesn't cascade the font-family style rule down to the td contents when applied to a table cell. If you move the font-family declaration to the body element then all should be well.

i.e.

body{

font-family: : Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

}

IE doesn't handle cascading styles very well in general and in the case of tables its even worse. In my experience its best to avoid applying styles to table elements when you want to style the contents of cells and rather style the contents directly. Im not a big fan of table layouts generally but that's another story.

That not withstanding its a very nice site you've got there. Good stuff.
Rowboffin
Poster

Postby GlynB » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:00 pm

inocybe wrote:GlynB, thanks for the comment, really appreciate it. I wonder how come you see the times font (maybe the stylesheet isn't linked properly..)it should use Geneva -> arial ->Helvetia -> sans serif family... I'm a bit puzzled as why this happens, it's not the first time I use a css file .. I've tested the site on all major browsers and platforms. I'm going to look a bit deeper into why this is happening to you (and not to me, so far).

Which browser are you using and which platform you're on? do you have the Geneva font installed ? Are links displayed in blue? or in black?

the small pictures will stay small ;) no need to see them all blown up IMHO.. I like to keep this site simple and easy updatable..

Yes i have geneva font installed, I checked for it in MSWord and it's there as an option, as are arial etc.

Links are displayed in Black. Using Internet Explorer version 6. Standard stuff.

Looks like the stylesheet isn't sorking properly?
GlynB
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:42 am

inocybe wrote:

Personally, I think they work really well that way.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Commander » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:03 pm

You can check out my website HERE. I am mostly involved in TV music these days and there are quite a few films and MP3s to listen to.
Commander
Regular
Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!
Cue irritating bongo music ...

Postby Rob C » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:39 pm

Excellent stuff... I'm not a fan of "welcome screens" but that does seem kind of insignificant!
Rob C
Regular

Postby PWGLE » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:01 pm

Just finished the website for ETS Reading...

www.msweb.co.uk/ets

I apperciate I havn't as of yet fixed the menu drop downs so they are compatible with IE, and the news system is still being developed..

I've tried to make this site completly CSS driven, not a table in sight! ;)

Any ideas, or feedback would be welcomed!
Thanks, Laurence
PWGLE
Regular

Postby Rowboffin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:09 pm

Kudos for going for a standards compliant design. Just a few comments...

You need to set the z-index of the ul element to ensure that your dropdowns appear over the top of other elements like the imageside div. z-index:3; will be fine.

In the imageside div tag you need to put quotes around the id value (i.e. <div id="imageside">&nbsp;</div>) cos without them IE6 isn't displaying the background-image.

Dunno if you care but the menus don't work well at 800x600 since the floated <li> elements that should be on the far right get shoved down on to a new line as the menu bar is too wide. Maybe 9em width would work better.

There's no link back to the home page from any of the other pages. I don't know if this is generally the case but our clients ALWAYS moan if we forget to provide a link back to the home page (unless its just a splash screen or similar).

I think you need to have more colour on the menu, logo and page header bar, perhaps just use borders to add a hint of extra colour. For example the menu bar <li> elements could have left and right borders which would also make them appear more evenly spaced (if you know what I mean). The fact that the dropdown menus are the same colour as the title bar that they overlap makes them look a bit odd, too. If they're going to be the same colour then I think the dropdowns need a border of some kind.

One last comment on the layout: I think the imagebar would look better if its right edge was aligned with the right edge of the menu bar and footer. There's a couple of ways that you could arrange that but my approach would be to shove the content div away from the left edge of the browser window so that its left edge is inline with the right side of the "S" in the ETS logo and expand its width so that it pushed the imagebar into line.

I usually use the STRICT DTD to force IE6 into standards mode when doing CSS layouts as it can help to get things looking consistent and keep box-model hacks to a minimum.

I hope you glean something useful from that. As ever YMMV...
Rowboffin
Poster

PreviousNext