You are here

Come on... show us your sites...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby Rick Taylor » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:38 pm

Rowboffin wrote:
Dunno if you care but the menus don't work well at 800x600 since the floated [*] elements that should be on the far right get shoved down on to a new line as the menu bar is too wide. Maybe 9em width would work better.

It does seem like that text block should wrap.

...Nice site though.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby PWGLE » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:28 pm

Rowboffin wrote:Kudos for going for a standards compliant design. Just a few comments...

You need to set the z-index of the ul element to ensure that your dropdowns appear over the top of other elements like the imageside div. z-index:3; will be fine.

Ah very cunning! I've implemented that! Learn somthing new everyday!

Rowboffin wrote:

In the imageside div tag you need to put quotes around the id value (i.e.
) cos without them IE6 isn't displaying the background-image.

Tried it, and it still doesn't work. I think its the way IE is reading the layers, however I'm not sure. Need to reasearch this issue.

Rowboffin wrote:

Dunno if you care but the menus don't work well at 800x600 since the floated [*] elements that should be on the far right get shoved down on to a new line as the menu bar is too wide. Maybe 9em width would work better.

Totally agree! done!

Rowboffin wrote:
There's no link back to the home page from any of the other pages. I don't know if this is generally the case but our clients ALWAYS moan if we forget to provide a link back to the home page (unless its just a splash screen or similar).

Top logo is now a link. (thank god! the menu is driven from a single file! (menu.php)

Rowboffin wrote:

I think you need to have more colour on the menu, logo and page header bar, perhaps just use borders to add a hint of extra colour. For example the menu bar [*] elements could have left and right borders which would also make them appear more evenly spaced (if you know what I mean). The fact that the dropdown menus are the same colour as the title bar that they overlap makes them look a bit odd, too. If they're going to be the same colour then I think the dropdowns need a border of some kind.

I agree mainly, but the company wanted a slick grey look.
I experimented with borders, but they didn't achieve the desired effect.

Rowboffin wrote:
One last comment on the layout: I think the imagebar would look better if its right edge was aligned with the right edge of the menu bar and footer. There's a couple of ways that you could arrange that but my approach would be to shove the content div away from the left edge of the browser window so that its left edge is inline with the right side of the "S" in the ETS logo and expand its width so that it pushed the imagebar into line.

I usually use the STRICT DTD to force IE6 into standards mode when doing CSS layouts as it can help to get things looking consistent and keep box-model hacks to a minimum.

I hope you glean something useful from that. As ever YMMV...

Thank you for all your comments! they are very much appericated! :angel:

Rick I went for the justification you suggested, improves the layout loads!

www.msweb.co.uk/ets

Laurence
PWGLE
Regular

Postby Rowboffin » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:52 pm

Rowboffin wrote:

In the imageside div tag you need to put quotes around the id value (i.e. <div id="imageside"> </div>) cos without them IE6 isn't displaying the background-image.

Tried it, and it still doesn't work. I think its the way IE is reading the layers, however I'm not sure. Need to reasearch this issue.

Yeah, after having a proper look at the markup and css I realise that the problem is the way that IE handles floats differently to other browsers. Rather than using relative positioning for the imagebar you should give it a large enough left-margin to push it past the main-body element (652px or thereabouts).
Rowboffin
Poster

Postby PWGLE » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:09 am

Ah cunning! and then I take it you would need to set the position to "static"

The only other thing I'm having difficulties with, is the drop down menus dont postion correctly in IE.

Thanks for all your help!
You are a star!
PWGLE
Regular

Postby Rowboffin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:33 pm

Glad to help, Laurence.

You don't need to set the position to static explicitly since that's the default for any element which doesn't have a positioning specified, but in the strict sense you're right- the positioning scheme for the imagebar should be "static" since you want it to stay within the normal flow.

A quick fix for your menus- change the li ul selector thus:

li ul
{
display: none;
position: absolute;
width: 9em;
top: 2em;
}

And add z-index:3; to both the li and ul selector blocks.

Voila! Dropdown menus that work in IE!
Rowboffin
Poster

Postby PWGLE » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:39 pm

For some reason due to the way IE read DIV layers, its positining it reative to the last layer. So it works with a small margin, however the same can't be said for firefox which doesnt...

www.msweb.co.uk/ets

Any ideas?
PWGLE
Regular

Postby person man » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:43 pm

this thread has turned into a stink-ass webmaster circlejerk....

the thread is titled "show us your sites". Not "looking for help getting your unrelated site centered?" or "sites: shown and critiqued". I think you guys should be making new threads for alot of the crap you post here.

btw I love that name: "show us your sites" ;)
person man
Poster

Postby PWGLE » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:04 pm

to be fair this forum gets very little postage, and some of the posts we've had over the last week have been very valuabe for anyone designing...

i'm sorry//lg goes off and dies...
PWGLE
Regular

Postby person man » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:38 pm

i'm sorry//lg goes off and dies...

LOL!!! hey dude don't die. I think it's GREAT that you hang around! dont be a bum! .... Jesus!

but you have to admit that this thread is a bit far gone from the very cool way that it was started... Ha! "show us your sites". I still feel my balls hit my skull when I laugh at that one!

Anyway whatever. I just always checked up on this thread to see what the forum dudes made on the web for their music. And it was always full of cool stuff. But even Ian (the king of rightiousness) started telling people what was wrong with their sites. I was bummed. And at this point its like full of comments and empty of sites. So I'm bummed about that. And I hope that people start posting their problems in regards to internet publishing in a thread that is not called "show us your sites". That's all.

Anyway.... Mr. giant dude, dont be bummed.

;)
person man
Poster

Postby forumuser637535 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:03 pm

oops. I've just noticed people getting annoyed at slightly OT posts...

ah well I'll post my question elsewhere
forumuser637535
Regular

Postby forumuser637535 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:19 pm

I've just done a quick update to my site which hints at the graphical layout that the full site will have in the next few months. I'd appreciate everyone's comments on
A) the appearance/navigation of the site
B) the quality of the musical samples (be brutal)

g
forumuser637535
Regular

Postby Spy1 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:00 pm

:angel: Roll Your Own Productions :D

Still a bit light on content (rather like my head) but I'll work on that and the 'look' of the site as and when I can. To that end, any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Spy1
Regular
One Love, Spy! Shows | Tunes

Postby forumuser637535 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Hey Spy. The text is quite spaced out, and could probably fit in a much smaller space, so that it scans better. The dice are nice-looking but the graphics are inconsistent stylistically throughout the site. It's pretty difficult to do that well, so I'd recommend either copying someone else's site closely or getting a graphically aware friend to give you a colour and styling scheme.
You should probably aim to use the images to visually say what the text is already saying: people might think it's a gambling site, otherwise...

The tone of the text is good and friendly though: if I was browsing, looking for someone to collaborate with I wouldn't feel intimidated into not phoning you.

g
forumuser637535
Regular

Postby Rob C » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:35 pm

Spy,

Write out 100 times: I am not an "aspiring producer". That's between you and your learning curve. You are a PRODUCER. How many producers are there in the UK? Did they pass some kind of test?

"Born and raised..." Don't start with that. Start with what you think people will want to see in your first sentence. Do they want to know where you were born? Or that you are brewing some audio shock and awe with your collective? You are passionate about what you do... I know that, don't tell them where you were born (unless there's some genealogy vibe happening here that I don't know about).

Visuals obviously need pepping up. Where it's at now, you could get that onto one page and make it more immediate while you work on Mark 2.

Are the dice edgy enough for your site name? They made me smile, but perhaps the other theme will ring more bells with your target demographic?

That's just one view... a lot of people (and I think I've heard from each and every one) find my style too direct. So it's not the law.

But I want to see a smoking version two. Happy to do you some words if it helps. Good start (way better than my Mark One).
Rob C
Regular

Postby Spy1 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:08 am

Greetings gregster & Rob,

Thanks for taking a look and finding the time to comment.

*gregster* wrote:Hey Spy. The text is quite spaced out, and could probably fit in a much smaller space, so that it scans better. The dice are nice-looking but the graphics are inconsistent stylistically throughout the site. It's pretty difficult to do that well, so I'd recommend either copying someone else's site closely or getting a graphically aware friend to give you a colour and styling scheme.
You should probably aim to use the images to visually say what the text is already saying: people might think it's a gambling site, otherwise...

The tone of the text is good and friendly though: if I was browsing, looking for someone to collaborate with I wouldn't feel intimidated into not phoning you.
Thanks g, I've made a few alterations to the 'look' of the site, but not much to the content as yet. It is definitely something I need to work on :blush:

Rob C. wrote:Spy,

Write out 100 times: I am not an "aspiring producer". That's between you and your learning curve. You are a PRODUCER. How many producers are there in the UK? Did they pass some kind of test?

"Born and raised..." Don't start with that. Start with what you think people will want to see in your first sentence. Do they want to know where you were born? Or that you are brewing some audio shock and awe with your collective? You are passionate about what you do... I know that, don't tell them where you were born (unless there's some genealogy vibe happening here that I don't know about).

Visuals obviously need pepping up. Where it's at now, you could get that onto one page and make it more immediate while you work on Mark 2.

Are the dice edgy enough for your site name? They made me smile, but perhaps the other theme will ring more bells with your target demographic?

That's just one view... a lot of people (and I think I've heard from each and every one) find my style too direct. So it's not the law.

But I want to see a smoking version two. Happy to do you some words if it helps. Good start (way better than my Mark One).
Cheers Rob, as far as the dice are concerned, I thought that the 'other' connotation was a little too obvious so I thought I'd try something different, but I see what you're saying :smirk:

Happy to do you some words if it helps.
That's a very generous offer, don't be surprised if I take you up on that :angel:
Spy1
Regular
One Love, Spy! Shows | Tunes

PreviousNext