You are here

Come on... show us your sites...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby SYSTEM-X » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:17 am

Ours is quite basic, its just a front for our Music links...............


"FACTOR-X-MUSIC"
User avatar
SYSTEM-X
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:00 am

Carladore 64

Postby Carlospresents... » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:59 pm

CARLOsPRESENTS

I love the C64 and music. I also love Rob C. So iwanted to make some music but have it on a site that looks good.

My only problem is that the songs have to be downloaded before you can hear them.


I need to work out how to do streaming.
User avatar
Carlospresents...
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 pm

Re: Carladore 64

Postby PWGLE » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:45 pm

Carlos, Looking good. Sorry if the FTP has been a bit unrelible lately. I've been re-jigging things here.

Flash is one way of streaming, or you cud use the M3U trick. Where you just have the person download the playlist, and then there player streams the track from the server...

Best Wishes, and Happy Christmas, Laurence
PWGLE
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby forumuser637535 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:17 pm

GlynB wrote:I looked at the bigday music one.
It was tidy and neat, but i thought the design a bit dull considering the exciting subject you have on offer (music/musicians).

For example, instead of a monochrome musical score as the pic on the left, how about colour pics of musicians at work in evening dress, kilts or whatever. the pic could change from page to page thus adding some colour and interest.

Neeldess to say there wasn't much content & none of the band links works, but i assume that's a work in progress?

Basic design OK, but make it more interesting, you are trying to sell something after all.

BTW I'm certainly no expert either, just a bloke who dabbles, so take my advice accordingly.

Hi Glyn (et al). Bigday music site now revamped:
www.bigdaymusic.net/bigdaymusic

let me know what you think now!
g
User avatar
forumuser637535
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Glass Cow

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby forumuser637535 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:13 am

I've also updated (but not finished) my studio holding page found here
g
User avatar
forumuser637535
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Glass Cow

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby GlynB » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:19 pm

*gregster* wrote:
GlynB wrote:I looked at the bigday music one.
It was tidy and neat, but i thought the design a bit dull considering the exciting subject you have on offer (music/musicians).

For example, instead of a monochrome musical score as the pic on the left, how about colour pics of musicians at work in evening dress, kilts or whatever. the pic could change from page to page thus adding some colour and interest.

Neeldess to say there wasn't much content & none of the band links works, but i assume that's a work in progress?

Basic design OK, but make it more interesting, you are trying to sell something after all.

BTW I'm certainly no expert either, just a bloke who dabbles, so take my advice accordingly.

Hi Glyn (et al). Bigday music site now revamped:
www.bigdaymusic.net/bigdaymusic

let me know what you think now!
g

What I think now?

It's really good! All the links I checked worked. the site design is more colourful and bright. Gives feeling of confidence - these poeople are trustworty, they won't screw up my wedding!

Would like to see some photos added of musicians in action at events you have organised. But if you are just starting out that will be difficult I suppose? Certainly when you've got a few under your belt add a photos section of succesful events you've done, pics of brides and pipers in full regalia, a caelie band in action, that type of thing.

Good luck.
User avatar
GlynB
Regular
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby PWGLE » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:38 pm

My main site is...
www.msweb.co.uk

But I'm working on...
www.msweb.co.uk/site2
any ideas on this intial design would be apperciated...
PWGLE
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby famolly » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:54 pm

www.famolly.com

best viewed on a computer
famolly
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm
whats the sum for a good bass drum?

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby GlynB » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:40 am

Giant With Laser...

The design of the main site looks drab to my eyes. Music is EXCITING, but your site design doesn't convey that, it's very business-like, l8ike a site would be that sold office stationary for example! It looks like the Microsoft MSN site, maybe because of the colour scheme and the blue banner along the top?

Having said that, it is tidy and professional looking, if that's what you're after.

The new site doesn't have enough content to pass comment on, but again you seem to be opting for an unispiring design choice.

Sorry if that disapoints, I know how much work will have gone into this, so it hurts when its criticised, but i think you need to liven it up.
User avatar
GlynB
Regular
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby xFasterMikeyH » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:04 pm

Giant with Laser Eyes wrote:www.msweb.co.uk/site2
any ideas on this intial design would be apperciated...
I get some weird layout stuff when loading this page in IE6.0 - I'd post a jpg up, but I can't remember the ftp details of my free space :headbang:

Other than that, just to re-iterate what Glen has said, it looks a bit 'corporate' (friendly, fluffy corporate, but still corporate) at the moment.

FMH
xFasterMikeyH
Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby PWGLE » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:09 pm

xFasterMikeyH wrote:
Giant with Laser Eyes wrote:www.msweb.co.uk/site2
any ideas on this intial design would be apperciated...
I get some weird layout stuff when loading this page in IE6.0 - I'd post a jpg up, but I can't remember the ftp details of my free space :headbang:

Other than that, just to re-iterate what Glen has said, it looks a bit 'corporate' (friendly, fluffy corporate, but still corporate) at the moment.

FMH

Yea, sombody mentioned that... But I can't get it to do it myself. It must be error in the CSS coding. I will look tonight...

If you need some free space, feel free to signup with msweb.co.uk
(see link in my sig)

Laurence
PWGLE
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby forumuser637535 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:13 pm

hi famolly. my first impression was that it had a nice graphic: draw that yourself? second impression was that the site wasn't taking itself too seriously (which is fine)
3rd was a real annoyance: the lack of a BACK button (except via rightclick). That is a real pet hate of many browsers: back is the most-used function in a browser: don't make it difficult to get at!
g
User avatar
forumuser637535
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Glass Cow

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby famolly » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:37 pm

hi gregster,

yup, i did the picture. what do you mean by "the site wasn't taking itself too seriously"?
last, i didnt think a back button was required as theres links at the bottom that take you back.

cheers for your response

ben
famolly
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm
whats the sum for a good bass drum?

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby Rob C » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:27 pm

Good graphics Ben... just good. And how many web pages do I see in a day? Far too many... so you must be OK. 8-)
Rob C
Regular
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby PWGLE » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 pm

GlenB,

I did have this idea, but I think its bordering on the edge of taking the piss!
http://msweb.dynalias.com/site2design/2logo.jpg
http://msweb.dynalias.com/site2design/3logo.jpg
But I agree the other site, lacks interest and focus...

Maybe add a cuckoo! hehe, no i'm joking really!

I love the FaMolly site, I wish I could do graphics like that. Its really nice... Not to keen on times new roman font, but apart from that its lush!
Laurence
PWGLE
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby xFasterMikeyH » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:29 am

Laurence, I didn't realise that your site was a corporate site, my comments on it were about it being a 'music' site (I thought that 'projects' related to whatever music you're working on and 'studio' would be pictures of your studio). Bearing that in mind, might be as well to ignore my pearls of wisdom.

I guess the main thing for you to think about it is who you're selling to. I personally like the cuckoo thing, but if I were looking for someone to make me a business website that would probably put me off.

Sorry to have confused things further!

FMH
xFasterMikeyH
Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby GlynB » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:40 am

xFasterMikeyH wrote:Laurence, I didn't realise that your site was a corporate site, my comments on it were about it being a 'music' site (I thought that 'projects' related to whatever music you're working on and 'studio' would be pictures of your studio). Bearing that in mind, might be as well to ignore my pearls of wisdom.

I guess the main thing for you to think about it is who you're selling to. I personally like the cuckoo thing, but if I were looking for someone to make me a business website that would probably put me off.

Sorry to have confused things further!

FMH

Yes, me too, I assumed it was a music site. If you're a design consultancy or whatever then I guess the layout is OK, but surely if you're into design you should be coming up with something novel or unusual?

I rather like the 'bird' examples of pages for a design company, it shows an example of... er.. design!
User avatar
GlynB
Regular
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby Rob C » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:22 pm

The design question really comes down to how people use your site and what your message is. Unless you need to impress people in some way or hit them with a strong message it's difficult to spice up the design without getting contrived or distracting. On a music site you do need a focussed image and holistic feel, but for a general utility or information site sometimes bland is the right thing... as long as you spell out what's going on.

Broadly speaking, don't spend time on design that doesn't serve any purpose... but you need to make that call yourself. Second opinions are always useful.

One thing I'd take from the feedback on Laurence's main site is that the purpose and message could be stronger on page one. Will people think: what is MSWeb? What do they do?
Rob C
Regular
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby forumuser637535 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:31 pm

One thing I've realised about my web-browsing is that I don't like, or usually don't read the nav buttons, especially if there are too many or it's not obvious what they take me to straight away.

Buttons that say "about" are a bit cryptic, for example.
My tip to designers would be to make your nav buttons totally transparent to the eye. Try using 2-3 words if it clarifies exactly what it is the target page is. Deciphering buttons is NOT something people can be bothered doing a lot of the time.

Also, remember that your first page is your first impression: the customer is not interested in you, he's interested in HIMSELF. Reel him in by simply offering the benefits HE could be experiencing were he to use your service/product, then he'll give you more of his time.
g
User avatar
forumuser637535
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Glass Cow

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby Darryl » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:11 pm

The Urban Myth Club

http://www.urbanmythclub.com

Like this site alot, very clean and polished, good content and I also like the music samples.

Darryl
www.glideascope.com
Darryl
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:00 pm

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users