You are here

Come on... show us your sites...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Come on... show us your sites...

Postby Rob C » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:33 pm

I don't share your button thing entirely Greg but I know what you mean. I normally click them to see (if I'm interested in the site) but don't really read them and think.

I'm happy with "About" though, it's one of the things I look for on a new site, and there's a kind of convention that About, FAQ, What's new, Site map, Contact, etc. on the home page usually mean the same on every site. Certainly, "about" isn't very descriptive, but we know it means here's some info about the purpose of this site and who we are.
Rob C
Regular

Postby Darryl » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:40 pm

Here's my site for review:

www.glideascope.com

This was the second version completed around 8 months ago, would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Glideascope
www.glideascope.com
Darryl
New here

Postby GlynB » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:04 pm

*gregster* wrote:One thing I've realised about my web-browsing is that I don't like, or usually don't read the nav buttons, especially if there are too many or it's not obvious what they take me to straight away.

Buttons that say "about" are a bit cryptic, for example.
My tip to designers would be to make your nav buttons totally transparent to the eye. Try using 2-3 words if it clarifies exactly what it is the target page is. Deciphering buttons is NOT something people can be bothered doing a lot of the time.

Also, remember that your first page is your first impression: the customer is not interested in you, he's interested in HIMSELF. Reel him in by simply offering the benefits HE could be experiencing were he to use your service/product, then he'll give you more of his time.
g

I think it maybe depends how experienced the visitor is?
I mean there are some kind of 'standard' buttons that I expect to be there and I know what I expect to see when i click them.

Contact - I expect to see contact information, address, email, etc.

About - I expect an explanantion of what the company or the site is 'about'

Gallery - usualy photos of the artist or product

Links - links to other associated sites

Blog - biographical log

News - obvious

Home button - to return to the home page

I think if people keep to these type of conventions then there shouldn't be too much problem in knowing what they're for and finding your way around?
GlynB
Regular

Postby forumuser637535 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:16 pm

yep, agree Glyn. That is pretty conventional. I think that the "about" button is the only one that has unclear connotations, convention or not! "Background" perhaps???, or "history"?
I think that any band that takes itself seriously would consider having a "press" page (unless they were already well known). It is pretty difficult to assert originality but maintain a conventionally practical approach. Anyone seen sites that do this? I'll start a new thread:
"band websites that you like"
I have to say that I quite like the "ween" website (although I can only remember that it kept me interested enough to actually read it!)
g
forumuser637535
Regular

Postby Armadillo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:12 pm

Still slightly under construction. Sorry, I mean constantly updated and improved. www.wireempire.com

Feel free to give me some feedback. :)
Armadillo
Poster

Postby forumuser637535 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:50 am

Armadillo wrote:Still slightly under construction. Sorry, I mean constantly updated and improved. www.wireempire.com

Feel free to give me some feedback. :)

I am 512kbs, loaded fine. Simple, easy to follow from first impressions. Audio link didn't work for me (maybe it's not running yet?) I don't like the keyboard picture in the main image. The setup looks untidy and "home-studio" esque. Obviously, you don't want to mislead people, but I'd be wary of pictures of CRT monitors, which are Soooo last year in terms of studio image.

Oh, hang on. The music just started after about 2 minutes of waiting... hmm. maybe a bit long.
I'd recommend having an instant loop that plays a couple of times that originated from your studio, with a clear option to turn it off.

Also, I don't know about the "list of songs_and their styles" idea. I've been toying with this as well, but I honestly don't know if people will be interested...I don't think that people like to think of being "pigeonholed listeners". It does depend on what your target market is I suppose. If they are clients looking for factory styles for corporate videos etc then it might be ok. If you're trying to "sell" your work as commercially viable stuff, I'd go with the "integral media player" option. By all means have a downloads page for samples (for people who really want a decent hifi version of your work), but I'd put a radio player on there with lo-fi samples playing automatically until they're switched off.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm being a bit more picky because I feel that your site design skills and musical skills obviously are of a standard to make these smaller things of importance.

good1
g
forumuser637535
Regular

Postby Armadillo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Dammit. just spent 20 min. writing a reply and then IE crashes. :madas:
Thanks a lot for being thorough. 8-)

*gregster* wrote:
I am 512kbs, loaded fine. Simple, easy to follow from first impressions. Audio link didn't work for me (maybe it's not running yet?) I don't like the keyboard picture in the main image. The setup looks untidy and "home-studio" esque. Obviously, you don't want to mislead people, but I'd be wary of pictures of CRT monitors, which are Soooo last year in terms of studio image.

Well it is a home studio, and all my hardware is probably worth less than £2000 (2nd hand anyway), so I don't really know how else to represent it.

Oh, hang on. The music just started after about 2 minutes of waiting... hmm. maybe a bit long.
I'd recommend having an instant loop that plays a couple of times that originated from your studio, with a clear option to turn it off.

Hmm... strange, it should stream almost instantly. I'd like to know if other people are experiencing the same problem.
Don't like the loop thing. The page will take longer to load and a short loop gets annoying quite fast.

Also, I don't know about the "list of songs_and their styles" idea. I've been toying with this as well, but I honestly don't know if people will be interested...I don't think that people like to think of being "pigeonholed listeners". It does depend on what your target market is I suppose. If they are clients looking for factory styles for corporate videos etc then it might be ok. If you're trying to "sell" your work as commercially viable stuff, I'd go with the "integral media player" option. By all means have a downloads page for samples (for people who really want a decent hifi version of your work), but I'd put a radio player on there with lo-fi samples playing automatically until they're switched off.

I like pigeonholes. Often in eg. "sound files" on SOS, I can't be arsed to listen to the music cause I don't know if it's a genre I like. I wouldn't eg. listen to country or indie. It's just a waste of time imo listening to songs just to find out that musically they are as far away from anything you listen as it could be.

Lo-fi option would be nice though. Will look into that.

What is my market? Good question. Within the last year I've been trying to start up a nu-metal/breakbeat band, been producing euro trance with a singer, been looking to go into library music, and trying to start up a RnB project.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm being a bit more picky because I feel that your site design skills and musical skills obviously are of a standard to make these smaller things of importance.

good1
g

Thanks in regards to musical skills.
Web design skills however, are not as good as they might seem. Basically, I've bought a template, edited it, new text, images, added links etc. nothing major.
To be honest I'm not sure if I can add a dedicated player etc. :blush:
Armadillo
Poster

Postby Armadillo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Gregster:
You didn't mention that the "services" link didn't work, and neither did "showreels". :D Under construction. I think
Armadillo
Poster

Postby Mike Duguid » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:51 pm

the music started playing after about 5 seconds here (512 adsl). It's a shame there's no indication along the nature of 'streaming started, please wait while buffering.." just so the viewer has visual feedback that something is happening.
Mike Duguid
New here

Postby PWGLE » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:44 pm

I had 2 hours spare, so I started redesigning my site...

http://msweb.co.uk/mswebv6/

Any comments, thoughts...
or ideas how to make it in the middle! of the page!
Laurence
PWGLE
Regular

Postby person man » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:36 pm

I like the sky.

What the hell are you selling anyway? I don't get it.

never got it with the current site either.

whats the word giant dude?

What's like..... your quest?
person man
Poster

Postby Mike Duguid » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:11 pm

to center it you could use this
And then lose the doctype line
Mike Duguid
New here

Postby PWGLE » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 pm

I'm sure I had got the 100% table trick in there, but I will look again when I remove the doc-type line.

Thanks again, Laurence

*edit*

out of interest why lose the doc type line?
PWGLE
Regular

Postby 3guk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:44 pm

Http://www.ukslc.org

What you guys think ??
3guk
New here

Postby Rob C » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:19 pm

Good. The breadcrumbs top left look odd for some reason, but otherwise very clean and classy.
Rob C
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:28 am

...Nice.

That black bar at the bottom's tough to read though... Maybe you could use the yellow from the top?
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:52 am

Does nobody in here browse full screen?

Isn't designing for 800x600 a little "last century"?
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:07 am

or ideas how to make it in the middle! of the page!
Laurence

%?

This:
http://www.w3.org/

http://imgseek.python-hosting.com/
{Which you can apparently run in windows now...}

As opposed to this?:
http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:26 pm

Rick Taylor wrote:
http://imgseek.python-hosting.com/
{Which you can apparently run in windows now...}

Not sure about the evolutionary model.

http://imgseek.sourceforge.net/net/
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby hadey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:17 pm

Hello all,

Here's a little site I've been working on. There's not much on it at the moment. Let me know what y'all think, and any suggestions/crits/etc will be appreciated...

www.papamofoman.com
hadey
Poster

PreviousNext