You are here

need program for adding drm (digital rights management) to mp3 files

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

need program for adding drm (digital rights management) to mp3 files

Postby gearguy2020 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:55 am

Hi, I want to stream mp3 files using JW Player on a website, but programs like Internet Download Manager allow people to download the files. I want to try to add drm protection to the files to see if this will keep IDM from being able to download them. Does anyone know of programs that will let me add drm protection? Internet searches don't seem to come up with much.
gearguy2020

Re: need program for adding drm (digital rights management) to mp3 files

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 am

If people can hear it then they can record it using the 'what you hear' options built in to many soundcard drivers. All you can do is stop them recording at high speed.

I don't think you can add DRM to mp3's but you will probably need to look at Flash or some other multimedia programming framework in order to stop people downloading the original file.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:06 am

You can make it inconvenient to grab the file but, ultimately, if you can hear it you can record it.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Longinen Timemin 1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:55 am

I was brought to the subject of DRM when I discovered the "Protected" column in File Explorer while browsing music files. I turned on the "Protected" column on the ribbon and it showed "No" all the way down my list. I am still researching DRM and whether it is necessary to use it to protect music files. Here's a link to the DRM "How Stuff Works" website.

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/drm.htm

I think that if you are trying to move your recordings around and you decide to use the internet to save time then you are always posing a risk to file corruption and piracy. DRM as I understand it is widely used by Google Play and iTunes to keep their music safe for their customers. (such as a cloud system to save your inventory in the event your computer gets erased) Piracy is unavoidable, unfortunately, and websites like YouTube confuse that fine line for us when we are searching online for entertainment.

Even if someone does pirate your music before you can sell it the right way they can't claim it as long as you have a timestamp on it to prove that you are the original creator or owner of the recordings. Computers make timestamping easy and all you need to do is to save your recordings on an email service and protect it as best you can. You can also SASE a CD to yourself and then store the CDRs in a safe deposit box in case you are pirated. Just don't open the envelope. There is common law with copyrighted material and if you aren't registered with a songwriting publisher you can protect your recordings so long as you can prove that they are yours.
Longinen Timemin 1
New here

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am

The thing about DRM is that it generally takes about two days for each new iteration to be cracked. So the bad people are barely slowed down but it's the legitimate customers who end up shafted when it stops being supported 5 years down the line.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...