You are here

Copyright question - Where should I release my songs first? Youtube or Tunecore/iTunes

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Copyright question - Where should I release my songs first? Youtube or Tunecore/iTunes

Postby A Non O Miss » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:49 pm

MarkMark wrote:Thank you, I have a clearer understanding now. I realise that TuneCore is the middleman, I realise they take my money, etc. but I found them on the Apple website under the iTunes aggregators list, I don't see any other way of getting my music on iTunes without any aggregators and without a label.

Yes I also realise that 99% of musicians don't make money or make very little and I fall into that category also. I am humble and don't pretend to be a bigshot. I don't have delusions about becoming a millionaire just because I get on iTunes.

I found your statement "it is pointless and useless to you because you lack the knowledge to understand the statement..." arrogant, just because someone can't comprehend your thought expressed inefectively through a minimal sentence doesn't mean they lack the knowledge.

My aim is to get publicity on YouTube, and if someone asks "Hey where can I buy your album" then I want to be able to give a clear link to a trusted place that everyone knows (iTunes) as opposed to some random artist website where people are weary of any transactions and change their mind before purchasing. I realise iTunes takes a cut too, but in my opinion its a place that people trust out of familiarity, like amazon. Sooo, this leads me back to Tunecore, and why I am going with an aggregator. If you think there are better ones, can you please name them?

If you are going to be dishing out advice about why things are good and bad, then the least you can do is back it u with some info and facts and not get offended when people ask for the details.
Even if you are right and I 'lack the knowledge' has it occurred to you that perhaps that is the reason I am here, to get answers?

Who said i was offended?

You made a prickly reply and i responded accordingly, that's it!

lets see of the top of my head...

AODA/Orchard
AWAL
CD Baby
DistroKid
AMAdea
Reverb Nation
Catapult
Ditto
etc.
etc.

In a properly constructed digital network i would be getting a micro-payment for not only this information, but also from those who i am currently marketing and advertising for!

Anyways, hope your strategy works out for ya!

:)
A Non O Miss
Regular

Re: Copyright question - Where should I release my songs first? Youtube or Tunecore/iTunes

Postby MarkMark » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the examples I'll check them out. In the 'properly constructed digital network' I would make sure you only received the micro payment from me once I was satisfied with your answer. I certainly wouldn't be paying anything for your one liners without any information to back up your statements.

You gave me a list of aggregators off the top of your head without giving any further information as to why they are 'better' and especially why they would be better for my needs. I am amazed that people trust you with their marketing, I assume they 'lack the knowledge' and that works for you because you get money.

I see there is a different side to you when there is no money involved, such as this forum, and you've just proven that with your last post because you couldn't resist giving an answer without following it up with "In a properly constructed digital network i would be getting a micro-payment for not only this information"

lordy lord, give me the name of your company so I can stay well clear of it
MarkMark
New here

Postby A Non O Miss » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Where did i say you would be on the hook for payment?

Under what obligation am i under to list them and then subsequently do a complete analytic breakdown for you, free of charge?

Who trusts me with their marketing?

For too many assumptions based on little information my man!

A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby 10K-DB Music » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I would copyright all your material prior to posting ANYWHERE,,Library of congress has an e-file site,,or you can do old school{hard copy paper} Thats if your in USA. I have close to 250 songs copyrighted there,,but only approx 35 out in public/web{no need to over post stuff just yet} That way if one of your tunes gets "borrowed" by somebody,,and its a huge hit,,makes lots of$$,,you can collect from all that.
10K-DB Music
Poster
Indie artist writing/performing multiple styles of music,recording+producing @ home studio on Tascam 24 trk 2488 Neo. Vocals/Guitars/Bass,,using BFD/ECO drum software/Digitech processors.

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:19 pm

MorayM wrote:I only know of TuneCore, what other aggregators do people use?

We use Cd Baby - which I feel is pretty ok for what it does. There's also Reverbnation providing similar services, and I "discovered" TuneCore just last year.

When I selected cd baby, it boiled down to how much you need to pay to keep your art in catalog every year vs. how much cut they take in case of sale. I picked up CD Baby since it took a one-time fee (didn't want to have to pay every year, I'm a musician - I forget things!), the cut was acceptable and they seemed to have a reasonable user interface and customer service. All of which have subsequently proven to be true, so we'll stay on as satisfied customers. Recently they've introduced the "pro" version which also collects other types of royalties (learning about mechanical royalties made me discover TuneCore) but it's provided only to US customers.
The only annoying thing about cd baby is that it doesn't distribute to Wimp, which is a streaming service of growing popularity where we are based, so we're missing out a bit on the local market. So far, we haven't perceived it as enough of a problem to "move" the catalog elsewhere.

But honestly I don't feel there's a great deal of difference between all of these services. The main idea is to bring stuff on major electronic distribution channels, and all of these seem to do it in a fairly straightforward way.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby A Non O Miss » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:37 pm

CS70 wrote:
MorayM wrote:I only know of TuneCore, what other aggregators do people use?

We use Cd Baby - which I feel is pretty ok for what it does. There's also Reverbnation providing similar services, and I "discovered" TuneCore just last year.

When I selected cd baby, it boiled down to how much you need to pay to keep your art in catalog every year vs. how much cut they take in case of sale. I picked up CD Baby since it took a one-time fee (didn't want to have to pay every year, I'm a musician - I forget things!), the cut was acceptable and they seemed to have a reasonable user interface and customer service. All of which have subsequently proven to be true, so we'll stay on as satisfied customers. Recently they've introduced the "pro" version which also collects other types of royalties (learning about mechanical royalties made me discover TuneCore) but it's provided only to US customers.
The only annoying thing about cd baby is that it doesn't distribute to Wimp, which is a streaming service of growing popularity where we are based, so we're missing out a bit on the local market. So far, we haven't perceived it as enough of a problem to "move" the catalog elsewhere.

But honestly I don't feel there's a great deal of difference between all of these services. The main idea is to bring stuff on major electronic distribution channels, and all of these seem to do it in a fairly straightforward way.

BIG difference between them...

Who are they in bed with being a MAJOR one of them...

They are all mostly middle men which don't even need to exist, providing a redundant service all because Indies and DIY's have no power and no leverage...
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:45 pm

A Non O Miss wrote:

How would that affect the service to my band? I'm interested to know if I'm missing on something..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby A Non O Miss » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:50 pm

CS70 wrote:
A Non O Miss wrote:

How would that affect the service to my band? I'm interested to know if I'm missing on something..

The fact you even ask the question is evidence herein you are missing something...
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:59 pm

A Non O Miss wrote:The fact you even ask the question is evidence herein you are missing something...

'course I would - isn't that why people ask stuff in general?

Care to enlighten me?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Musica Libre » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:44 am

As Jesus Mor I have uploaded a royalty-free music library to: http://www.freemusicprojects.com . Do you need royalty-free music free? Free Music Projects
Musica Libre

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 am

MarkMark wrote:"Find a different middle man then TuneCore..."

Care to elaborate on this? This piece of 'advice' is useless and pointless without an explanation

In my personal opinion Tunecore do things a bit strangely - they don't use the same recording codes that everyone else uses and instead use their own proprietrary Tunecodes. This isn't a problem if Tunecore is your only outlet and you aren't expecting your music to be played anywhere else but could be a problem with broadcast material.

Personally I've gone with CD-Baby as a digital aggregator and Sentric Music to handle royalties but there are plenty of other alternatives.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby lukeandrewhill » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 am

I can't pretend to have a massive amount of experience, but I use Spinnup.com and they were good - quickly(ish) getting tunes up on most of the normal digital platforms (including iTunes and Spotify) and importantly they have a really responsive customer care team - email replies within 20 minutes if you have a question. That for me makes it pretty good!

Good luck!
lukeandrewhill
Regular
please make it all simple.

Postby Creaturegd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:21 am

youtube is better
Creaturegd

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 am

MarkMark wrote:It all seems so complicated and annoying :frown:

You have copyright from the moment of creation, but once the work is in public you want -
should the need ever arise - some way of proving that you are the creator.

Publishing something on YouTube is not good enough, as anyone can take any file and do it.
For iTunes, you don't publish directly - but you go thru a label or an aggregator. Publishing thru an them is a much stronger claim - you have to provide precise details of what you have, give (or obtain) an unique recording number, etc.

I understand TuneCore is an aggregator: so your sequence is TuneCore first, wait for release date, check your work is released on iTunes, Amazon and wherever else you wanted for release it, then upload video to YouTube.

As Feline says, you'll get a takedown notice from YouTube after a few hours or days and all you have to do is to state - on your legal responsibility - that you are the author of the work. The monetization will come back to you via the aggrergator/label payouts.

The details may depend on the specific aggregator tough.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 am

James Perrett wrote:Personally I've gone with CD-Baby as a digital aggregator and Sentric Music to handle royalties but there are plenty of other alternatives.

Hi James, what Sentric Music does that CD-Baby doesn't?

Curious if I'm missing some revenue streams :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:28 am

As I understand it Sentric is primarily a sync-agency. They're all about getting your music used in ads, trailers, etc, rather than selling your tracks as individual pieces of music.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 pm

blinddrew wrote:As I understand it Sentric is primarily a sync-agency. They're all about getting your music used in ads, trailers, etc, rather than selling your tracks as individual pieces of music.

Thx Drew. CDbaby has a synch option as well, but perhaps Sentric is marketing the music more aggressively?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:28 am

Could be, you need to check with someone doing things more commercially.
I long ago stopped thinking of ever being paid for music... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BigRedX » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:25 pm

CS70 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:As I understand it Sentric is primarily a sync-agency. They're all about getting your music used in ads, trailers, etc, rather than selling your tracks as individual pieces of music.

Thx Drew. CDbaby has a synch option as well, but perhaps Sentric is marketing the music more aggressively?

As someone who has had dealings with Sentric through a previous musical project I would say well clear unless:

1. You can't be bothered to join the PRS (or your national PRO) as a writer member.

2. Your music is radio/TV friendly in both composition and production. If you want to know what sorts of songs Sentric is good at promoting watch Hollyoakes for a month. If you can see your songs in place of the music being used then you may be in with a chance.

3. You can provide instrumental mixes of your songs.

AFAICS Sentric tend not to actively market the majority of their catalogue but simply make it available to producers and other people looking for low cost music to fill the silent bits in their TV programs.

Also be aware that Sentric will take 20% of ALL your performance royalties and not just the activity that they have been responsible for. It also takes ages fro them to remove their interest from your works after you terminate your agreement with them.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 am

I'd agree about not using Tunecore but which one you do use will be a matter of research. Some are cheaper, some are better for low sales, some for high sales etc. 'Catapult' is cheap and cheerful and seems to work fine.

The danger for me is not so much someone releasing your material on itunes but that they place the music in a production library. This is quite a common scam.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext