You are here

Why are software developers killing our industry?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Why are software developers killing our industry?

Postby johnny h » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:18 am

The decline will just continue and prices will fall further. Kids today are quite happy to use the inbuilt DAW plugins, and they use them well. They lust after old Rolands and new modular systems if they have some extra cash. Spending money on bits of software is very low down the priority list. Meanwhile, many the older engineers have worked out they have all the tools they could ever possibly need.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby J_J_Breeze » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 am

johnny h wrote:The decline will just continue and prices will fall further. Kids today are quite happy to use the inbuilt DAW plugins, and they use them well. They lust after old Rolands and new modular systems if they have some extra cash. Spending money on bits of software is very low down the priority list. Meanwhile, many the older engineers have worked out they have all the tools they could ever possibly need.

Yes you are right.

However there is always space for the very talented (think u-he).
J_J_Breeze
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
4TrackMadman wrote:...there's nothing wrong with the unit but I'll have to ditch it when I make the next move up in OS.

And that's the mistake right there. In the vast majority of cases there is no *need* to update the OS. As you say, there's nothing wrong with the original system so why break it with an unnecessary change of OS?

Spot on Hugh, and I think many musicians essentially agree with you. Yes, a new set of bells and whistles are undoubtedly fun, but if they affect the power of your engine then you'll end up frustrated in the long run :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby dubbmann » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Zukan, I'm really sorry for your plight and the plight countless software developers. I'm afraid it's simply inevitable.

Zukan wrote:Looks like it,'s back to the pole dancing gigs then........

Be sure to shave your back first. Cost me loads in tips ;-)

Cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/ http://www.phichibe.com

Postby A. AuCr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:42 am

There may be another option.

Consumers don't care about your development and fixed costs. And they know the marginal costs once development is done are about zero.

However, there is a way to get consumers to care/cover your fixed costs - and that's to get them to fund the development up-front via kickstarter, gofundme, etc. "It's going to cost $X to make this exist. If you think that's exciting and you want it, help make it happen."

More here (article is about music rather than software, but it's a similar issue - too much supply and saturated demand).

Why Your Music is Worthless (And How to Sell It Anyway)
A. AuCr
Regular

Postby Mark Knutson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:00 pm

I suppose it is frustrating to see prices drop, but if one accepts the benefits of capitalism and competition driving prices down, this is just a part of that. At one point I had written a program that adjusted the latency of a hardware component of the motherboard that helped sound cards work better. Someone else had a similar product selling for $20, so I sold mine at $10. Turned out to be a big hassle for few sales and I dropped out.

In any case, its a normal technology product life cycle that a product costs more and will sell for more when it is an innovation, but normally competitors emerge and the product class becomes commoditized and folks compete on price.

There was a time when waves probably dominated the plug in market with products that were better than most others. Forward 20 years, and there are lots of good plugs. Waves is in permanent sale mode with a good percentage of their products selling at 80% off. I just bought gold for $175, and got a few more plugs for $30 each. I also got a great deal on the isotope music production bundle, so at this point, I have more plugs than I have a need for, strictly speaking.

Thing is, at this point, I have some interest in a soft synth, but as far as rx plugs, its hard for me to imagine how anybody is going to get me to by any more of those. I believe the music plug in market is not going to see support for products that cost more than $30-50 with waves in permanent sale mode. Fruity Loops is going to put a lot of pressure on daw makers, sonar as well. I recall when Pro Tools had such a dominant presence in the daw market and commanded such high prices. Now there are more daws people are comfortable with and its getting a bit commoditized, but not to the extent of plug ins.

So, what is great for consumers is bad for vendors, but that is the way things work in a technology life cycle. I know I can't paid for doing what I enjoy most, and we all have to make our bargains with life--balancing what we want to do with what other people are willing to pay for.
Mark Knutson
Poster

Previous