You are here

Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Just curious to know how your PRS earnings are going. I have been getting mine for around 6 years from placements in various libaries. The statements have been growing gradually until a huge jump up this time last year in October. Thinking it was a fluke, around the same again in December. Then this April it dropped well below again. My current statement (on the site now) shows a huge spike up again, but a little less than October 2013.

As more of my music is placed in broadcast, more channels, repeats etc should I be right (as long as I keep outputting work) in expecting a steady increase every statement or is it more complex ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Phil O » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Library work does take a little time to work through the various channels (e'g sub publishers etc) and thus royalties lag behind output. Provided you are building your catalog and signing works with libraries that can secure placements, it's highly likely you will see a continuation of the upwards trend.

That said, the industry is such that there are also downward pressure on rates as more content goes online, from oversupply of material and the RF model takes a greater share.

It's difficult to forecast the future so be thankful for it for now.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:13 pm

It's easy to get lost in the noise on these sites as so many are now doing it. Cheap software, technology and high end production. I am on one royalty free site I mainly supply sound effects and it's scary the amount of saturation they are getting. To be fair though, a lot of people submit samey cinematic trailer/happy clappy whistling-ukulele tracks that are swamping the market. I don't know where it will end as it's like a race to the bottom. The site is royalty free but they have managed to create a special broadcast rate for just royalty free, not Pro registered music.

On the other hand, there are more and more channels by the day and they repeat alot so if you have tracks in these surely you will still be paid everytime broadcast.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Marbury wrote:I mainly supply sound effects and it's scary the amount of saturation they are getting

Maybe ease of the limiting a tad then??

Postby Marbury » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:17 am

Not many PRS folk here then ;-)
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Nagle » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:06 am

Mine's gone gradually up, keeps surprising me actually when I get a good payout after long periods of producing very little. Definitely better than having a real job. :angel:
Paul Nagle
Regular
http://www.bogusfocus.com/

Postby Veeagra » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:11 am

I had a threefold spike in April which I was very pleased about but the last 2 since then have gone back down again. I'm feeling most discouraged about the whole thing this morning I can tell you.

But I've really been churning out the material this year so I hoping it'll go up again before too long. I've come this far I can't give up now!
Veeagra
Poster

Postby Emmet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:16 pm

My PRS is mostly live with a little radio. It's not going up :D
Emmet
Regular

Postby KMuzzey » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Does everyone realize that performance royalty statements depend on the # of uses of your music in surveyed media? They're not something that go up and down independently… they're a result of uses of your music in media. As your usage goes down in a particular quarter, so will the corresponding PRO revenue… true of PRS, ASCAP, BMI & all the others as well.

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey
http://www.kerrymuzzey.com

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:19 am

KMuzzey wrote:Does everyone realize that performance royalty statements depend on the # of uses of your music in surveyed media? They're not something that go up and down independently… they're a result of uses of your music in media. As your usage goes down in a particular quarter, so will the corresponding PRO revenue… true of PRS, ASCAP, BMI & all the others as well.

Kerry

So, the more your stuff gets played, the more you earn? And the less it gets played, the less you earn?

It's almost as if there's some kind of correlation happening but I just can't put my finger on it.

Postby Barry Garlow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:12 am

Its some kind of conspiracy. A massive cover-up orchestrated by the collections agencies.
Barry Garlow
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesSimpson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:34 pm

I think everybody understands that PRS is collected for how many times a piece of music is used..... I think the original post was asking specifically to do with library music. As in once the increase happens, more and more music is likely to get used and played.
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby Marbury » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 am

Well in my case music libaries but I am open to all sources of PRS revenue.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby C-Dogg » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:28 am

Presumably your statement (i.e. the detailed one) tells you everything you need to know. If you're getting decent usage then yes, repeats, foreign income which takes longer to filter through, etc will all add to the pile. Big jumps can occur if you get a commercial for example, or just get lucky with some good prime-time placements, then once all that money has come through you go back down to the lower numbers and smaller, more even increase. In my experience a national ad campaign across multiple channels, including prime-time terrestrial, can add thousands to your PRS, creating quite a 'bump'. Then normal service is resumed :)
Of course, you can also use the cue sheet search on the PRS website to see how you're doing. It's a bit flaky but can be a useful resource if you don't have access to Tunesat or similar.
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby ed.king » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Take a look here, it shows how the different methods of accounting are used, if you have usage in the smaller stations etc and your stuff is not used on the sample day you don't get paid - not good but
what can you do? web page
ed.king
Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Wel looking at my statement just in compared to last year it's a huge drop and yet last quarter was another big payment. It doesn't make sense. The earnings should be climbing all the time. More music placed, more channels more repeats shoud = increased earnings. I can't make it out. :?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Mine's the lowest it's ever been this time.

No surprise really, the band I have songwriting shares in hasn't been very active this year.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby C-Dogg » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:17 am

Can't account for a big drop year on year for you, but comparing to last quarter you'd expect less. December only covers two months, compared to October's three, and an awful lot of international money came through in October that won't be in this December's payment (though I look forward to seeing the detail when the statement comes through). Also, it depends how many tracks you have and with whom. Surely by analysing your statements you can see how much usage each track is getting, how consistent it is on a per track basis etc. How many tracks do you have out there, and with whom? Until you get to a certain 'critical mass' your statement will be much more sensitive to the success of individual tracks, premium bond style, rather than a steady, predictable income.
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby KMuzzey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Also important to remember: broadcasts outside the UK will take about 2 years from the broadcast quarter to travel from ASCAP/BMI to PRS. And unfortunately UK cable broadcasts aren't censused like most of US television broadcasts are, they are random-sampled.

Example: most basic cable channels in the US: cue sheets are logged and paid out on for all broadcasts, period ("census survey"). The same networks in the UK are random-sampled: this means that PRS will look at cue sheets for 1 week's programming out of each calendar quarter and will pay out on those uses, but not the remaining 11 weeks' uses in that calendar quarter. It's unfortunate unless you're lucky enough to land in the sampled time period. I think that your best chance at making performance royalties is still "getting music into a US cable show." But even then, once that dollar amount translates into GBP, the payout will be smaller. The previous poster is totally right: it's a numbers game, and the more you have in the library arsenal, the better the chance of landing more placements and perf royalty income!

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey
http://www.kerrymuzzey.com

Postby Marbury » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:08 pm

And this July statement has dropped even more at a time when more and more of my music is out there. 3 consecutive years July has dropped about £100 each statement. It doesn't make sense. Even if it stands still it shouldn't be going backwards.

Why do I do this again ? :headbang:
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Next