You are here

Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Well just read my latest April statement and it's utter crap compared to previous Aprils. The lowest since 2013! I just can't understand how you can have such erratic statements. My faith in the PRS diminishes every year and music gets more and more devalued for a race to the bottom.
:madas: :protest:
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby mat6066 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Things to bear in mind when comparing PRS statements to previous years':

1) Each distribution will be different according to what the distribution comprises so for instance last years April statement may not comprise the same distribution sources as this year's.

2) The performance of tracks vary over time - they don't trade exponentially - and they have a life span.

3) The best judge of performance is how your PRS looks at the end of each financial year rather than by quarter

4) The best predictor of PRS perfomance is to look in detail, by library at how your tracks have been performing for the past three years, and also how many new tracks are coming into fruition and then take the average and apply it to the tracks you think will trade next year.

I've been doing this for 12 years and have recorded each of my tracks' performance per quarter since 2006. I currenly have around 310 trading. My advice would be: don't get too downhearted with a naff PRS quarter.
mat6066
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 am

Marbury wrote:Well just read my latest April statement and it's utter crap compared to previous Aprils. The lowest since 2013! I just can't understand how you can have such erratic statements. My faith in the PRS diminishes every year and music gets more and more devalued for a race to the bottom.
:madas: :protest:

Sorry to hear it wasn't what you expected.

Have you had the statement? Can you identify where the problem is?
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 am

No, it just tells me the amount I will get when I log into their site. The reason I am doubtful about them is because they have messed up last year with wrong payments, overpaying some people who had to return the funds. Utter shambles from what I remember.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 am

Yes it was a shambles but they resolved it really well.

I think they do a very good job collecting the dosh. That cannot be easy in this day and age. Not so great at helping with enquiries but that is getting better.

Another thing, please bear in mind there is some stuff not paid out on this one. You could well have more to come at a later date.

https://prsformusic.com/royalties/royal ... v-and-film
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks Chris, it gives a little hope at least.
Marbury
Frequent Poster