You are here

Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:09 pm

I've learned that it's important to doublecheck cue sheets if you can get copies of them, people do make mistakes filling them out (young interns, or people who don't understand how a PRS works etc). Other times people go on holidays or get replaced so cue sheets don't get filed in a timely manner and sometimes not at all. It's not difficult to do the checking and helps prevent cues from entering the PRS's Unpayable File because a title or name was forgotten. Consider this part of the job of being a composer. Very rarely an unscrupulous individual at a production company will replace your name with theirs and the PRS won't know it's incorrect. In Canada if you know you've had plays and have the dates you can email the PRS so they can see if the play is registered. It sounds like this can only help you UK folks due to the way shows are sampled there. If you are concerned about bugging your PRS reps, don't be - their salary is paid from a small percentage of every cue you get paid for. In essence they work for you.
cheers
Eric
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Marbury » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:30 am

I think it would be a very complex thing to pin down from my point of view. I could at least email them with my concerns. It really shouldn't be on a decrease.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby KMuzzey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:43 pm

But it depends on actual broadcasts during that time period. If there were fewer broadcasts, then the $$ goes down. Everyone's PRS/ASCAP/BMI statements fluctuate. Sometimes they're high, sometimes they're low. When they're low you'll notice that the accompany report might only be 2 pages long. When they're high, the accompanying report will be 20 pages long.

"It really shouldn't be on a decrease" -- but if there were fewer broadcasts in that quarter, then the $ goes down. That's just how it works....

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey
http://www.kerrymuzzey.com

Postby Marbury » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:28 am

I take your point Kerry but with more placements, channels and repeats I would have thought the numbers stack up, not go down. Granted the UK sampling is not as thorough as US but most of my PRS does come from US and overseas.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby KMuzzey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:27 pm

But remember that it takes approximately 2 years for US royalties to hit PRS -- and vice versa. That's 2 years from the date of first broadcast. So if you got a great library statement today for US placements, realize that it's going to be 2 years before you see those performance royalties. And that's give-or-take a couple calendar quarters. And then those royalties are going to be substantially less because of the low value of the dollar compared to the GBP.

There really isn't such a thing as "performance royalties are going down suddenly" -- because they're actually going up, especially in the US where the fees increase by a few % every year. If your PRS statements are down it's because they don't have any uses to pay out on.

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Well my PRS payment just showed on the site which clearly peaked in Dec 2013. Since then it has dropped, despite having more music out there . This doesn't make sense because the trend should be rising, not dropping.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:19 pm

why should it be rising??

just because you've put more music out, on top of what was already there, doesn't mean anyone has actually USED any of it….. and it's only going to pay if it gets actually broadcast……. if the items it was used in originally aren't being heavily rotated for repeat….. then it won't generate any income.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby ramthelinefeed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:13 am

I got a PRS payment this December for the first time in a few years - £5.46! My micropayments had finally accrued over the £5 payment threshold!!!

... then I say that £3.42 of it was from a song played on Israeli radio that I'd never heard of, simply due to some random PRS database error.

So I hadn't accrued over the threshold at all. I expect they'll want the entire lot back now :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Marbury » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Well this time my statement is showing that my earnings are half of what I got April 2014/15. Absolutely gutted. Repeats, more music out there etc should not be tanking like this. I am losing my faith in the PRS reporting.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby B. McGrew » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Marbury wrote:Well this time my statement is showing that my earnings are half of what I got April 2014/15. Absolutely gutted. Repeats, more music out there etc should not be tanking like this. I am losing my faith in the PRS reporting.

Who have you got your music placed with?
B. McGrew
Poster

Postby Marbury » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Pump Audio (Getty) Jinglepunks, Audiosparx, Musicsupervisors, Crucial,
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby B. McGrew » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:30 am

Marbury wrote:Pump Audio (Getty) Jinglepunks, Audiosparx, Musicsupervisors, Crucial,

I think you have more chance of making a decent buck with Extreme, Audio Network and the ilk to be quite honest with you.
B. McGrew
Poster

Postby KMuzzey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Those are all US-based libraries, mostly placing in US-based TV shows. From the very first broadcast that contains your music, it will take about 2.5 years for that money to make its way from ASCAP/BMI to PRS and to your statement. The same holds true for US-based composers who have music appearing in UK TV shows. Repeats in other countries (whose PRO's have different reporting times and intervals) are held even longer.

So if this past calendar quarter held a ton of repeats of a show that had your music in it, you will get PRS royalties for that quarter in about 2 - 2.5 years.

It's frustrating, but that's just how it works. :headbang:

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey

Postby jrbcm » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Sorry but PRS is much quicker than that these days - I wouldn't want to give Marbury false hope. Most of my April'15 USA dosh came from Apr-June 14, with a few older payments.
jrbcm
Regular

Postby KMuzzey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:14 pm

jrbcm wrote:Sorry but PRS is much quicker than that these days - I wouldn't want to give Marbury false hope. Most of my April'15 USA dosh came from Apr-June 14, with a few older payments.

That's amazing. ASCAP & BMI still tell us 2 - 2.5 yrs turnaround time. My UK airing stuff takes about that long to get from PRS to BMI.

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey

Postby jpalmer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:35 pm

I do see occasional USA payments from maybe a couple of years ago on my PRS statements but I'd also say the majority of them are probably less than a year old, some even within 6 months of broadcast date. Looking back at a few random statements they've been processing that quickly for me since at least 2011.
jpalmer
Regular

Postby sixtysixmix » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:50 pm

2-5 years turn around? Are the printing it out and sending them by donkey and ship?

With the internet, web services and systems integration available since over 10 years ago .. why is this taking so long?

Is it a case of they get it quickly but are doing like the banks and holding on to it?

Seems weird to me... :beamup:
sixtysixmix
Regular
Producer/Mixer/composer Gear: Logic Pro X on a 2013 MacBookPro 16Gb Ram. External 4Tb drive. RND 5060, 2 x Apollo 8, Audient ASP880, Adam A7X monitors, Avantones, way too few mics.
Dublin studio build starting May 2017!

Postby Marbury » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 am

A lot of my usage in the latest statement is from the latter part of 2015 so pretty recent.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby KMuzzey » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:41 pm

That turnaround from the US to PRS is amazing.

Unfortunately on our end, the turnaround from PRS to ASCAP/BMI still takes a reaaallllly long time.

Kerry
KMuzzey
Regular
Kerry Muzzey

Postby Marbury » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 am

Well the new statement is even more depressing. It seems that the music royalty isn't the gift that keeps on giving after all despite more tracks being out there, repeats etc.

I have no idea where to go from here. :(
Marbury
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext