You are here

Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby forumuser656625 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi, first time posting here. I have also found this, the last few PRS statements have been very disappointing! My royalties were building for many quarters then a big dip. I thought it was just a blip but it now seems every quarter. Not good news.
forumuser656625
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:20 pm

That's interesting and sorry to hear you are having the same issues. My last statement was half my usual, and the latest is almost half again. Thanks for sharing anyway.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Marbury wrote:Well the new statement is even more depressing. It seems that the music royalty isn't the gift that keeps on giving after all despite more tracks being out there, repeats etc.

I have no idea where to go from here. :(

Sorry you had a disappointing one.

What libraries is your stuff placed with? What style do you do?
Guest

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby BigRedX » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Mine has gone down as well recently...

But then a good proportion of it is from live performances and my current band hasn't played any gigs this year yet.
User avatar
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:32 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Marbury wrote:Well the new statement is even more depressing. It seems that the music royalty isn't the gift that keeps on giving after all despite more tracks being out there, repeats etc.

I have no idea where to go from here. :(

Sorry you had a disappointing one.

What libraries is your stuff placed with? What style do you do?

I have music in Pump Audio (not even sure what is going on with them anymore), Jinglepunks ,Audiosparx,Music Dealers, Music Supervisor,Tune Society,Crucial Music (hard to get tracks into but they do pitch to movie's etc)

I was with Yooka Music but just pulled all my tracks because they have not made payments owed to me and hardly ever made me a sale. They also haven't returned any of my messages.

I think the bulk of my royalties have been generated from Pump and Jinglepunks.

I make instrumental music in a variety of styles acoustic and electronic. I would LOVE to create the more experimental, leftfield type of music that you only hear on the likes of Radio 3's Late Junction but I haven't really found a place that markets that type of music, but it's more artistically satisfying to me. In fact, I actually got a credit in late junction from submitting a sound recording so it's a start at least :)
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Marbury wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Marbury wrote:Well the new statement is even more depressing. It seems that the music royalty isn't the gift that keeps on giving after all despite more tracks being out there, repeats etc.

I have no idea where to go from here. :(

Sorry you had a disappointing one.

What libraries is your stuff placed with? What style do you do?

I have music in Pump Audio (not even sure what is going on with them anymore), Jinglepunks ,Audiosparx,Music Dealers, Music Supervisor,Tune Society,Crucial Music (hard to get tracks into but they do pitch to movie's etc)

Don't really know much about them so can't comment. I think it's important - and good for the soul - to do music you have a real passion for.

I listen to Late Junction alot. They have some amazing music on there. Made some real discoveries through that. Just wish it were more not-so-late junction as I get sleepy around 10-ish after Horlicks and jam muffins.

Hope October is better for ya!

SD
Guest

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:25 am

Salty Dog wrote:
Marbury wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Marbury wrote:Well the new statement is even more depressing. It seems that the music royalty isn't the gift that keeps on giving after all despite more tracks being out there, repeats etc.

I have no idea where to go from here. :(

Sorry you had a disappointing one.

What libraries is your stuff placed with? What style do you do?

I have music in Pump Audio (not even sure what is going on with them anymore), Jinglepunks ,Audiosparx,Music Dealers, Music Supervisor,Tune Society,Crucial Music (hard to get tracks into but they do pitch to movie's etc)

Don't really know much about them so can't comment. I think it's important - and good for the soul - to do music you have a real passion for.

I listen to Late Junction alot. They have some amazing music on there. Made some real discoveries through that. Just wish it were more not-so-late junction as I get sleepy around 10-ish after Horlicks and jam muffins.

Hope October is better for ya!

SD

Thanks but I very much doubt it, the trend is taking a downward turn.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Spangler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't think you're going to make much out of Music Dealers - they've gone bust.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-picture/1103772-music-dealers-liqudation.html
Spangler
Regular
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Newcastle
clicky

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Spangler wrote:I don't think you're going to make much out of Music Dealers - they've gone bust.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-picture/1103772-music-dealers-liqudation.html

Thanks for the encouragement !
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Spangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:02 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to kick a chap when he's down!
Spangler
Regular
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Newcastle
clicky

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby rosietesmen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:10 pm

It's easy to get lost in the noise on these sites as so many are now doing it. Cheap software, technology and high end production. I am on one royalty free site I mainly supply sound effects and it's scary the amount of saturation they are getting. To be fair though, a lot of people submit samey cinematic trailer/happy clappy whistling-ukulele tracks that are swamping the market. I don't know where it will end as it's like a race to the bottom. The site is royalty free but they have managed to create a special broadcast rate for just royalty free, not Pro registered music.
rosietesmen
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:04 pm

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:23 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Marbury wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Marbury wrote:Well the new statement is even more depressing. It seems that the music royalty isn't the gift that keeps on giving after all despite more tracks being out there, repeats etc.

I have no idea where to go from here. :(

Sorry you had a disappointing one.

What libraries is your stuff placed with? What style do you do?

I have music in Pump Audio (not even sure what is going on with them anymore), Jinglepunks ,Audiosparx,Music Dealers, Music Supervisor,Tune Society,Crucial Music (hard to get tracks into but they do pitch to movie's etc)

Don't really know much about them so can't comment. I think it's important - and good for the soul - to do music you have a real passion for.

I listen to Late Junction alot. They have some amazing music on there. Made some real discoveries through that. Just wish it were more not-so-late junction as I get sleepy around 10-ish after Horlicks and jam muffins.

Hope October is better for ya!

SD


Nope. October statement reads drasticly low (as I feared) compared to last and previous Octobers. Half the amount of what I got last year which seems to be a pattern with me and the other poster above who has confirmed my suspicions.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:27 am

Obviously I am a voice in the wilderness here. :-(
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Sorry yours went down again.

Have you tried anything different since last time? i.e. Different genres / different libraries etc.? I think sometimes one has to roll the dice a fair few times in order to get double 6.

If you see what I mean.
Guest

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:11 am

Salty Dog wrote:Sorry yours went down again.

Have you tried anything different since last time? i.e. Different genres / different libraries etc.? I think sometimes one has to roll the dice a fair few times in order to get double 6.

If you see what I mean.

I see what you mean Salty but it's knowing where to aim that is the dilemma. If I knew my target market I would get my sleeves rolled up and start work but I have no idea as so much is shifting so fast it's a moving target. ,looking at your link you have a great portfolio. Getting your music in the BFI is a great achievement. What a privilege that would be. It's just so debilitating to see what was seemingly increasing royalties building suddenly drop. No incentive. Thisis my best selling track although I do a lot of other styles.

https://youtu.be/L6frn-rZzmQ

https://youtu.be/Jphe5gZSsRY
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:53 am


I have been to Balvenie! Can't stand whisky tho.

See that type of track is ideal. They do very well. I can see that on Countryfile for sure.
Guest

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Marbury » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:42 pm

I have no contacts in the BBC so absolutley no chance of getting on Countryfile. Sadly, it's who you know in this business and there doesn't seem to be much given away in these forums from seasoned composers to help get on the ladder here. When you see something growing you have built on over the years suddenly drop for no reason it seriously kills your enthusiasm and creativity.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
 

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Veeagra » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Marbury wrote:I have no contacts in the BBC so absolutley no chance of getting on Countryfile. Sadly, it's who you know in this business and there doesn't seem to be much given away in these forums from seasoned composers to help get on the ladder here. When you see something growing you have built on over the years suddenly drop for no reason it seriously kills your enthusiasm and creativity.

I had a track on Countryfile. I don't know anyone at the BBC either, it was through an MCPS library.
Veeagra
Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Veeagra wrote:
Marbury wrote:I have no contacts in the BBC so absolutley no chance of getting on Countryfile.

Mate, you don't need to have contacts in the BBC to get stuff on Countryfile.
Guest

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users