You are here

Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Does your PRS increase every statement ?

Postby C-Dogg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:35 am

Yup, you don't need contacts at the BBC, just a good library. They churn through so much music it's not like they have music supervisors in there pitching individual tracks. They'll just find something suitable on a library they like and bang it on. The key is being published by a library that actually gets used.
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:13 pm

C-Dogg wrote:The key is being published by a library that actually gets used.

^ ^ ^

That is the the nub of the essence right there.

Postby Marbury » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:26 pm

A few I was with have since gone under. I was wondering if it was worth getting some kind of showreel together from stuff I can find on Youtube ? eg, The Balvenie etc. I just don't want to waste valuable hours cataloging with a library who ends up getting you nothing.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Are you aware of this event Marbury? You might find it useful:

http://www.productionmusicawards.com/tune-up/

Sponsoered by our very own SOS!

Postby C-Dogg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Marbury wrote:A few I was with have since gone under. I was wondering if it was worth getting some kind of showreel together from stuff I can find on Youtube ? eg, The Balvenie etc. I just don't want to waste valuable hours cataloging with a library who ends up getting you nothing.

By 'cataloguing' do you mean uploading all of your tracks on to their site? If so, this might be part of the problem. The better libraries have 'gate-keepers', A&R, etc. They'll tell you what they want and will take what they need, rather than being an un-curated online graveyard for your catalogue.

Putting together a showreel wouldn't hurt: you can use it to get in touch with the A&R departments of the better libraries, as well as providing a link to a short playlist of your best tunes on Soundcloud, or similar. It's probably more financially rewarding to have a couple of albums with a good library than hundreds of tracks gathering dust elsewhere.
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks, I could try that. I can find video online with my music used but have no idea how to rip the video for editing in my own video software editor.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby C-Dogg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am

To be honest, it's of less importance than a solid (short) playlist on Soundcloud or similar, so I wouldn't sweat it.
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 pm

In truth, my real passion lies in the more underground, leftfield type of music. I have always wanted to head into that and make my way but I thought there was no way of doing this unless you were signed at Warp or similar. Then I noticed some nice music in the BBC film "Hyper Normalisation" and in the credits for the music were "Pye Corner". I had heard them before after a tip off from Stuart Maconie on his "Freak Zone" show. Having investigated further, I see Pye Corner distribute their music through "Bandcamp". Again, I was unaware of such a platform for selling. I now see the possibility of selling this kind of music through their site. Perhaps this is the way I should go forward. Total control of your music, prices and artwork.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 pm

And yet again another slump in PRS royalties for December even though I have music out there used around the world, repeats etc.

I am very sceptical of this dramatic decline of 2016. Depressing to say the least !
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby C-Dogg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:48 am

Sorry to hear that Marbury. It's following the pattern for you, but not a good pattern! The statement will make interesting reading when it comes. Are you tracking the details you've had in your statements this year? Are you getting less prime-time, fewer overall cues, 'worse' channels, etc? Surely there's some sort of pattern, like you used to get plenty of terrestrial, but now it's only crappy digital channels.....or something like that.
If you're really suspicious you could get a tunesat account to track your usage and compare it to what you're receiving. Expensive option though, and not really what an individual does: that's what a good publisher is for....
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby Marbury » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:57 pm

It would take a long time to go through all the individual sales but you can't have music royalties building over the last ten years to see them evaporate rapidly with every statement starting April of this year. I could do with someone with a bit more experience in this industry to go though them with me. If anyone can help I don't mind sharing my PDF info if you want a look yourselves ? It's hard to track sales as my main placements are via Jinglepunks and Pump Audio (Getty) and finding anything in your account regarding sales, or even someone to talk to for help is as much likely as seeing Lord Lucan riding on the Loch Ness Monster.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Well I have to say it looks like I am back on track as this latest statement is like the good old days. That gives me hope at least that any future statement that is low doesn't necessarily mean it's on the decline.

I thought it only fair to let you know considering the bleating I have done in this thred ;)
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby C-Dogg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Glad to hear it Marbury :) Fingers crossed for a good year for you.
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby jpalmer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Marbury wrote:Well I have to say it looks like I am back on track as this latest statement is like the good old days. That gives me hope at least that any future statement that is low doesn't necessarily mean it's on the decline.

I thought it only fair to let you know considering the bleating I have done in this thred ;)

That's good to hear - hopefully this is an upward trend for everyone. I saw my incoming PRS today and I had to double take and then have a sit down! In all the years I've been getting royalties, today's report is serious money (nearly twice my average annual income!)

I've absolutely no idea why it's so much more this time as most of mine comes from the lower end libraries so I seriously can't wait to see what it is that's generated this payout! Really hope it isn't a glitch in the system...

Let's hope it continues :)
jpalmer
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Could this be the reason ?

PRS TV administration rates return to previous level following the end of the ITV Copyright Tribunal

The High Court recently ruled in PRS’ favour following an appeal by ITV against the decision reached by the Copyright Tribunal in June 2016. We are pleased with the outcome and we believe the new terms of the licence deliver fair value to members.

In August 2015, after careful consideration, the Executive Board approved a temporary increase of one percent to TV broadcast admin rates. This was implemented to cover the expected tribunal costs. Following the successful result, we are reducing PRS TV admin rates back to their original level
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby jpalmer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 pm

I did see that email this morning and wondered if it could be related. But certainly in my case an admin reduction of 1% is unlikely to have caused the massive jump I saw this time around. Roll on statement day tomorrow so I can see where it's come from!
jpalmer
Regular

Postby Marbury » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Well just read my latest April statement and it's utter crap compared to previous Aprils. The lowest since 2013! I just can't understand how you can have such erratic statements. My faith in the PRS diminishes every year and music gets more and more devalued for a race to the bottom.
:madas: :protest:
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby mat6066 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Things to bear in mind when comparing PRS statements to previous years':

1) Each distribution will be different according to what the distribution comprises so for instance last years April statement may not comprise the same distribution sources as this year's.

2) The performance of tracks vary over time - they don't trade exponentially - and they have a life span.

3) The best judge of performance is how your PRS looks at the end of each financial year rather than by quarter

4) The best predictor of PRS perfomance is to look in detail, by library at how your tracks have been performing for the past three years, and also how many new tracks are coming into fruition and then take the average and apply it to the tracks you think will trade next year.

I've been doing this for 12 years and have recorded each of my tracks' performance per quarter since 2006. I currenly have around 310 trading. My advice would be: don't get too downhearted with a naff PRS quarter.
mat6066
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 am

Marbury wrote:Well just read my latest April statement and it's utter crap compared to previous Aprils. The lowest since 2013! I just can't understand how you can have such erratic statements. My faith in the PRS diminishes every year and music gets more and more devalued for a race to the bottom.
:madas: :protest:

Sorry to hear it wasn't what you expected.

Have you had the statement? Can you identify where the problem is?
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 am

No, it just tells me the amount I will get when I log into their site. The reason I am doubtful about them is because they have messed up last year with wrong payments, overpaying some people who had to return the funds. Utter shambles from what I remember.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext