You are here

Stairway to Heaven lawsuit ... Taurus?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Stairway to Heaven lawsuit ... Taurus?

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:27 pm

feline1 wrote:
CS70 wrote:
It says it does not apply since the song was remastered in 2014.

The *song* was remastered?!? :headbang:

Yep, remastered and re-released it says. According to the article, that's why the statute of limitation does not apply.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby alexis » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:50 pm

johnny h wrote:So ridiculous that they won this. Lawyer parasites.

I would suggest the opprobrium could be better directed at the elected representatives who enable this sort of behavior through the legislative process ... unless one believed there was no quid pro quo involved, and the laws were passed irrespective of the trial lawyers' contribution to the re-election campaigns.

And then of course, where would one go if they thought their intellectual property was being stolen, if the magic wand had been waved and all the"lawyer parasites" were made to disappear?

It's very easy to cast everything as black and white, but the system still has to work after the pitchforks have been hung back up on the wall.
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby feline1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:56 pm

CS70 wrote:
feline1 wrote:
CS70 wrote:
It says it does not apply since the song was remastered in 2014.

The *song* was remastered?!? :headbang:

Yep, remastered and re-released it says. According to the article, that's why the statute of limitation does not apply.

You can only remaster a recording, not a song, and the copyright infringement they are talking about is in the song, not that Led Zeppelin sampled their recording.
Are these lawyers on smack?
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:57 am

feline1 wrote:You can only remaster a recording, not a song, and the copyright infringement they are talking about is in the song, not that Led Zeppelin sampled their recording.

Ha, I see. Well, it's likely to be just a journalistic simplification. Anyways, most people not familiar with music production (that is, most people) will understand it right anyway... "song" and "recording" will be interpreted by one and the same in that context. Honestly, it's pretty clear to me: a remastering of the original has been made and therefore the statute of limitations does not apply.

Wonder if, if Taurus win, they will get a cut only on the sales of the remastered version..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby DJW » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:38 am

Well, I saw Central news. They played the introduction of each song. They sound nothing like each other.

How about Linda Carr - "High Wire"? Sound familiar?
DJW
Regular

Duncan J. White

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:57 pm

CS70 wrote:
feline1 wrote:You can only remaster a recording, not a song, and the copyright infringement they are talking about is in the song, not that Led Zeppelin sampled their recording.

Ha, I see. Well, it's likely to be just a journalistic simplification. Anyways, most people not familiar with music production (that is, most people) will understand it right anyway... "song" and "recording" will be interpreted by one and the same in that context. Honestly, it's pretty clear to me: a remastering of the original has been made and therefore the statute of limitations does not apply.
Bear in mind that this was before 1972 when, in the US at least, copyright didn't exist on sound recordings, just on the song. This is why the Blurred Lines ruling is so troubling.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Scramble » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:23 pm

blinddrew wrote:Bear in mind that this was before 1972 when, in the US at least, copyright didn't exist on sound recordings, just on the song.

USA federal copyright didn't exist until 1972, yes, but there were state copyright laws before then, which often had no time limit.

blinddrew wrote:This is why the Blurred Lines ruling is so troubling.

That ruling was made purely on the 'sheet music' aspect of the song. It was troubling because the 'sheet music' of each song was very different. (Is that what you meant?)
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Scramble wrote:
That ruling was made purely on the 'sheet music' aspect of the song. It was troubling because the 'sheet music' of each song was very different. (Is that what you meant?)
Yep, exactly so :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:49 am

Slightly OT but given Stairway was only ever released as an album track, how would you calculate it's income? As a percentage of the album sales perhaps, but even then would this be by the duration, or a percentage of the number of tracks?
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
#indyref/bestof3

Postby dedindi » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am

it seems that piece is a public domain written in baroque era by harpist O'Carolan

https://musictales.club/article/celtic-baroque-roots-stairway-heaven
dedindi
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:42 pm

dedindi wrote:it seems that piece is a public domain written in baroque era by harpist O'Carolan

https://musictales.club/article/celtic-baroque-roots-stairway-heaven

Now that IS fascinating dedindi - I will pass that info onto my wife who plays harp and loves Turlough O'Carolan's music :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm

And she's just tracked down the music for Carolan's Dream in one of her harp books, and is now going to learn it :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby dedindi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 am

Martin Walker wrote:And she's just tracked down the music for Carolan's Dream in one of her harp books, and is now going to learn it :clap:

Martin

wow!

you have a nice skill in your family!
do you use a harp in your arrangements?

Serg
dedindi
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 pm

dedindi wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:And she's just tracked down the music for Carolan's Dream in one of her harp books, and is now going to learn it :clap:

Martin

wow!

you have a nice skill in your family!
do you use a harp in your arrangements?

Serg

Hi Serg,

Actually I have used the harp a lot over the years in my own music, but ironically it was me playing it on a keyboard.

My wife only took up playing the real instrument a few years ago, but I am of course very keen to feature her in future music if she's interested ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby dedindi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Martin Walker wrote:My wife only took up playing the real instrument a few years ago, but I am of course very keen to feature her in future music if she's interested ;)

Martin

just a year how i dig a folk harp music
in classical orchestra pieces, harp has not often played solo while used primarily for some ornamentation
but folk harp is really live and modern
dedindi
Poster

Previous