You are here

Registering with PRS and Sacem?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Registering with PRS and Sacem?

Postby lovesexy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi all

I'm currently working a lot for a french company and have been advised to join the Sacem as well as PRS in order to maximize royalties. I was previously told that this was not possible...anyone have any experience of this?
lovesexy
Regular

Re: Registering with PRS and Sacem?

Postby moffdnb » Thu May 28, 2015 10:03 am

I'm a member of IMRO (Ireland) and am now looking to join PRS/MCPS also (even though they are a UK company). I believe there is an Irish affiliate of it called MCPSi.

My understanding is that IMRO (for me) and SACEM (for you) will cover your performance royalties for your original work as it stands. But the PRS/MCPS will cover the "Mechanicals" and performance of the same work but reproduced on different formats. Like Compilations, TV etc etc…

I did read some info on on PRS/MCPS saying that you should only be with one collection society for Mechanicals so I think you would be ok with SACEM too. Best to email PRS and explain your circumstance...
moffdnb
Poster

Postby TPv2 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:46 am

I am with SACEM. That's because I was born in France and did everything I could to register when I was very young, as soon as I had scribbled a few pieces. I wish I were with PRS now as it would make things easier as I reside in the UK.

Anyway, my understanding is that these companies insist on basically owning your rights exclusively, on the basis of which they then (hopefully) pay you.

As two societies cannot hold the same exclusive rights, I doubt that you can be with both! Though I have not checked statuses recently and I could be wrong.

But furthermore, these societies collect for each other so being a member of one should be enough. I even noticed recently that there is a link to PRS on the SACEM website, and/or vice versa. In any case, it's clearly a case of societies working on behalf of one another in their home territory. And the same would apply with BMI, ASCAP, SOCAN and the like. Almost any civilised country should have an equivalent society, specifically designed to give you money for doing what you enjoy doing.

That's how civilisation is defined, isn't it?

It has not made me rich though, but who knows, maybe tomorrow.
TPv2
Regular

Postby moffdnb » Sat May 30, 2015 11:28 am

So this might make sense in Europe but can we assume that its world wide?. One society will cover all territories? JAPAN, USA, EUROPE...
moffdnb
Poster

Postby Guest » Sat May 30, 2015 1:01 pm

moffdnb wrote:So this might make sense in Europe but can we assume that its world wide?. One society will cover all territories? JAPAN, USA, EUROPE...

prs collects from everywhere.

Postby TPv2 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Or everywhere they can... everywhere where copyright is protected by similar laws and where there is an infrastructure to collect.

This would cover EU countries, USA and Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I'm not sure how much they collect from China, some parts of Africa and Asia...
TPv2
Regular

Postby lovesexy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:45 am

Apparently you can ask the PRS for a letter which you then send on to the SACEM stating that SACEM represents your work in France and PRS for the rest of the World. However, I've also heard that SACEM take off tax before paying! It's 33%...I wouldn't want to pay tax twice!
lovesexy
Regular

Postby Vinylizor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:37 pm

lovesexy wrote:Apparently you can ask the PRS for a letter which you then send on to the SACEM stating that SACEM represents your work in France and PRS for the rest of the World. However, I've also heard that SACEM take off tax before paying! It's 33%...I wouldn't want to pay tax twice!

You can actually register with as many collection societies as you want, but it can get mighty complicated on the admin!

You'll need to register each work and let them know for which territories they are responsible for. If your works are published by a publisher, be prepared for them to be a bit frosty if it involves amending the details on a lot of tracks!

The fiasco with tax on French royalties affects everyone, whether you are in PRS, Sacem or whoever.
Vinylizor
Poster

Postby lovesexy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Sorry to rekindle this thread but I wonder if anyone is with both Sacem and PRS?

My worry is that it'll get very complicated and I've heard people talking about having to change the details of all my library/production music tracks. This would amount to a ridiculous amount of work. I spoke to PRS today and they told me that you use your main CAE number even if you're with Sacem. I mean, if you have one piece of work signed to a UK company under your CAE number , surely you wouldn't have to register it under a different number with the SACEM would you?

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Cheers
lovesexy
Regular