You are here

Sentric Music - When is it a Good Idea?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Sentric Music - When is it a Good Idea?

Postby petev3.1 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:38 pm

I've been looking into Sentric Music. They seems to occupy an odd place in the scheme of things. I'm hoping someone here works with them.

I'm wondering who would benefit most from their offer. If a writer is already a PRO member and mostly up to speed with the collection system then I can't quite see the point, so maybe it's most appropriate for writers/artists just starting out.

But perhaps I'm underestimating them. They seem to be doing very well. Who do you think would most benefits from their deal? Who should definitely not be signing up?

Any thoughts much appreciated. I know a few people trying to get to the bottom of this question.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Re: Sentric Music - When is it a Good Idea?

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 pm

petev3.1 wrote:They seem to be doing very well.

Publishing side don't look very impressive.

Company Check...

Sentric Music Publishing:

Cash: £45
Assets: £45
Net Worth: £ -733

No significant improvement from the year before.

Postby Phil O » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:56 pm

What is the "idea" that you refer to? AFAIK, they are a publisher and offer the usual royalty collection services associated with that. Allied to this, they procure sync placements. When I last dealt with them, they required exclusive rights for composition but the Master side (required for Sync) was non exclusive.

I found Sentric to be efficient and professional IME. Probably better suited to performing artists / bands with a 'live' profile rather than studio based musicians / producers (like me).
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks. Yes, they are just a publisher. But not the usual kind. Makes sense that they suit gigging artists best, but even then it seems a weak deal. Leaving the sync business aside, I'm still unclear as to what they do that the artist cannot do for themselves.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby Phil O » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:14 pm

petev3.1 wrote: Yes, they are just a publisher. But not the usual kind.

In what way do you think they are unusual?

petev3.1 wrote:it seems a weak deal.

IIRC the deal was fairly standard. 80 : 20 I think.

petev3.1 wrote:Leaving the sync business aside, I'm still unclear as to what they do that the artist cannot do for themselves.

I think this is true of Publishers in general. Yes, an artist can do most of it themselves.However, they may not have the time or inclination. A "good" publisher will try to exploit works and create opportunities via their network of contacts. For example :

1. Seek out covers.
2. Set-up Co-writes.
3. They may be able to help with opportunities to perform e.g Festival slots.
4. Some may be able to help with brand tie-ups. Custom compositions and performances for campaigns.
5. Pursue opportunities in overseas territories via sub publishers.

The list is not exhaustive.

Yes, an artist can do some, if not all, these things but will need to invest a lot of time networking and building relationships which is time away from being creative.

NB I'm not connected with Sentric in any way and not arguing for or against them or publishers in general. Just interested to hear what it is you are uncomfortable with.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesSentric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi Guys,

James from Sentric here, thought I would just jump in and clear up any confusion you might have about Sentric.

Sentric are an independent publisher for any band/artist/songwriter to administer their copyrights around the world. We are free to join and any works you add to your account are registered directly in over 65 territories, to ensure that 100% of your performance and mechanical income is being collected.

We also have an in house sync team that look to place our artists music in TV, Adverts, Games, Films and Online, you can check out our showreel over at vimeo.com/Sentricmusic

The deal is indeed 80/20 for any royalties we administer, and if we land you a sync with an up-front fee we retain 25%. There is no fixed term in the agreement, so if at any point you wish to leave the service then you can do by just issuing 28 days notice and retain 100% of your copyright.

While you are with Sentric the publishing deal is exclusive, but the sync agreement is non-exclusive so you can source your own opportunities outside of Sentric.

Further to our publishing service we also offer Neighbouring Rights collections, YouTube monetisation for both the master and composition, and offer live opportunities to play venues and events throughout the UK.

We have a large focus on collecting live performance royalties on behalf of our members, and have spent a number of years building a direct collection network so that when an artist performs in a certain territory we can make the performance claims within that territory rather than it all going through a single territory (E.g. the PRS). This allows for more accurate reporting and quicker accounting to take place so not only do rights holders get paid quicker, it often results in a higher royalty rate.

Of course, if you are a member of a society, are playing locally and have a good grasp on their system for reporting then you may not have any need for a publisher, but when an artist/band finds them self doing multiple tours a year through multiple countries having an active publisher ensuring the claims are made quickly, efficiently and directly to the correct societies is a huge asset, but again it all comes down to the individual needs of the writer/artist as to when they feel they need a publisher.

Hope that all makes sense and clears up any confusion, and I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have either about Sentric or publishing in general on here or via email.

Also we are Sentric Music Limited not Sentric Music Publishing, that is technically us, but not the parent company.

Thanks,

James
Sentric Music
james.cherry[at]SentricMusic.com
wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentric_Music
Facebook.com/SentricMusic
JamesSentric

Postby petev3.1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:07 pm

James - many thanks for contributing some clear and reliable info.

I think what slightly bothers me is that the deal is open access, which would normally work against good representation and quality. But then, the 20% reflects this.

From your comments it seems I'm about on track with this. Good for some but not for all. It looks like a good model and seems fair though. I was wondering if people would start jumping out of the woodwork to make criticisms (I was fishing) but so far so good.

Phil - To me Sentric seem to sit somewhere between a simple admin deal and a full signing, and as anyone can enrol it is rather unlike what I would call a normal publishing deal. It seems a little similar to, say, the Tunecore publishing scheme but better. I'm just trying to clarify their place in the scheme of things.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Spirit » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 pm

I just read this very useful thread having discovered Sentric Music on someone's publishing details while I was searching on the PRS website.
Much appreciate the clear input from James of Sentric Music.. !
It is a while since this thread was active and I am keen to hear any other's experience of Sentric?
Music Spirit