You are here

Composing Music for Video Games...?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Composing Music for Video Games...?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Elephone wrote:

All the composers sound like they belong in that corporate world. The way they talk and think. Depressing.

If I may ask, what composers are you referring to?

Postby dmills » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Elephone wrote:
All the composers sound like they belong in that corporate world. The way they talk and think. Depressing.
You want someone to trust you with the sound track for a multi million dollar project, you have to be able to speak the language (And that means a deep familiarity with the games) and you have to be able to talk 'suit' about schedules, risks and the budget tradeoffs, these are just as much a part of doing the job as being able to pen reasonable music (The risks in a AAA game make the movie industry seem a sure thing, you don't want to be seen to add to them and the music is not actually what the early reviews will comment on unless it is an awful job).

Then there is a whole world of no budget 'indie' out there and iff you get hitched to something that turns into the next Mimecraft/Angry cats/whatever then a very small percentage of people do all right at it, but for the most part it is another "Do it for the 'exposure'" thing, and we all have our views on that [ ****** ].

Yea back in the late 80's we were all bashing stuff out on the SID & AY38910 chips (Actually, mostly the programmers wrote the music, those early parts made a DX7 seem simple to program), but that is not where things are now.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Elephone wrote:

If I may ask, what composers are you referring to? [/quote]

Postby herewego » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:17 pm

That's a long delay time you've got set there, Salty :D
herewego
Regular

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:20 pm

herewego wrote:That's a long delay time you've got set there, Salty :D

:)

I was just trying to find out what composers he was referring to. Which composers he's heard speak in a corprate manner causing him to be depressed. I mean, if he could point us to even one example.

Ah well, I guess we'll never know.

Postby Scramble » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Elephone wrote:

Is he talking about you, Salty? In which case just admit it, instead of coming across all passive-aggressive.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:18 pm

Scramble wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Elephone wrote:

Is he talking about you, Salty? In which case just admit it, instead of coming across all passive-aggressive.

Passive aggressive? Cuddly, mild mannered me? Not at all.

Apologies to Mr. Elephone if I came across in such a PA way. But I do have interest in games music.

I don't dabble of course although I think I might like to.

SD

Peace.

x

Postby Scramble » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:56 pm

I understand. He was talking about your cousin Milt. Well, Milt does talk that way sometimes.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous