You are here

Composing Music for Video Games...?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Composing Music for Video Games...?

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 am

Siruiz wrote:Is there any chance for a person to work in videogame music amd deliver a piano vst recording(which includes Harmony/chords)? Or its always expected that the composer should also produce the final version?
If you were a games company and you could engage a composer that also required you to find your own producer, or you could engage someone who could do the entire job (and are many in number)... which would you opt for? ;) :beamup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Composing Music for Video Games...?

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pm

I realize this is an old post, but worth a word anyway as the issue applies to any business.

Mike McLoone wrote:You are up against composers with a fraction of the overhead of living in Europe, who may not even pay for the software they use.

I would say this is the major hurdle. Being able to compose at the (high) levels required for modern games is no longer a scarcity. So its economic value is low.

People who are already in the business may, at least temporarily, buffet up their work's economic value by virtue of other types of scarcity - they have a network, a CV, connections which are particular for them. But for coming in, you rely basically on luck.

What you want to find are areas which have a growth potential and where skilled composers with a CV belonging to the area aren't yet a dime a dozen. Or ideally, that cannot be easily outsourced to lower cost countries - i.e. typically depends critically from local culture understanding, language, or even political vagaries of the moment.

Is there any field where music as a role, is under a technical trend where this music sophistication is gonna increase, but has not exploded yet? Better yet, is localized in some form? Not easy to find, and it may not exist, but that's where (economically) makes sense to invest time and effort.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous