You are here

Generating Web Traffic

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Generating Web Traffic

Postby Scouser » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 pm

I am always looking to increase traffic to my website. Recently a couple of colleagues have suggested "Fiverr"

I know very little about this kind of thing. I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of chancers, jumping on this band wagon, and do any of these companies direct genuine, relevant, traffic, to your site ?

I just wondered if anyone can relate any positive results ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Generating Web Traffic

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:57 pm

I would investigate SEO (not that I know anything about these things).

This may help for starters:

https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2339605/seo-your-website-you-5-myths-10-tips
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:59 pm

And perhaps update your sig to have your website, rather than the MySpace one :)
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Ok, well in general there are two things meant by "SEO".

One, is applying various code, tagging, and best practices for making your search as friendly to search engines as it can be.

The other kind, is companies that try to "improve" your rankings, by a) analysing your site and telling you what to do to it to make it more friendly to search engines (or doing it for you), which is fine, and b) using various crap spammy techniques to try and game Google et al and try to use loopholes to boost your ratings, which is always a game of cat and mouse between them and the many smart people at Google and relies on a whole heap of things like link farming, putting crap sensationilst gibberish on your site and otherwise making it look, or trying to hide it looking like a cheap awful spammy piece of garbage.

If you have any content you value, I recommend not following the "b)" approach.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Scouser » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:54 pm

And perhaps update your sig to have your website, rather than the MySpace one

Good Point :blush:

I thought a lot of it would be SEO, which is what I have been working on. Interesting article that..

The other kind, is companies that try to "improve" your rankings, by a) analysing your site and telling you what to do to it to make it more friendly to search engines (or doing it for you), which is fine

And are there any companies that do a good job of a) ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 pm

Having looked at your website, I have no idea where you are in the world from the home page - although the forum name has a clue, it may be worth while adding that information.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Scouser wrote:And are there any companies that do a good job of a) ?

Can't recommend any, as I've always done it myself, and whenever I used other companies I've been less than impressed with their knowledge or value for money.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Richie Royale wrote:Having looked at your website, I have no idea where you are in the world from the home page - although the forum name has a clue, it may be worth while adding that information.

Isle of Wight I think...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:12 am

Richie Royale wrote:And perhaps update your sig to have your website, rather than the MySpace one :)

I'd be suprised if the board didn't have a "do not track" code embedded to stop Google weighting signature links for SEO.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:19 am

Pete Kaine wrote:
Richie Royale wrote:And perhaps update your sig to have your website, rather than the MySpace one :)

I'd be suprised if the board didn't have a "do not track" code embedded to stop Google weighting signature links for SEO.

I don't know anything about those things, but it seemed a logical step to update his sig for advertising purposes here :)
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby tea for two » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 am

Individual websites isolated : for those starting out, not recognised.

These days necessary presence in gatherings.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/instagram-gallery-unit-london-...

Meet the 26-year-old entrepreneurs using Instagram to build an art empire from scratch

Two English chaps.
Their perspective is telling

"Most museums and art galleries still think of social media as a plaything for narcissistic teenagers
Who want to take photos of their breakfast.
They don’t take it seriously as a commercial tool," Kennedy told Business Insider.

Aged just 23, two recent university graduates, Joe Kennedy and Jonny Burt, decided it was time to set up an art gallery ....
the pair's determination to exploit the power of Instagram.

Three years on, they've developed an online network of young, international buyers from Hong Kong, the Middle East and the US
and they have a 4,000-square-foot gallery in Soho, London.
They now have plans to expand internationally and turn Unit London into the first major art gallery franchise.

Their last show Paintguide — "the first Instagram curated art exhibition" —
brought together 61 artists from around the world who had all built their reputations on Instagram.

:::::::

Since there are Billions of members of Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Soundcloud, Wordpress, Facebook.
How to make a name, get noticed
:
this is where gathering with groups of similar members .... small pond in a big pond.
Thereafter just doing stuff that's alternate, deviant, off beat, hookups, mashups = kudos.
Then link to website.

For instance Street Artist Dank : Dan Kitchener has Instagram, Art Finder , as well as his own website
http://dankitchener.bigcartel.com
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:14 am

table for two wrote:Individual websites isolated : for those starting out, not recognised.

Do you talk like this in real life?

I barely understand a lot of what you say, as you don't seem to talk in actual sentences much of the time - it makes it difficult to decode your meaning, at least for me. Maybe English isn't your native language..?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tea for two » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:12 am

desmond wrote:
table for two wrote:Individual websites isolated : for those starting out, not recognised.

Do you talk like this in real life?

I barely understand a lot of what you say, as you don't seem to talk in actual sentences much of the time - it makes it difficult to decode your meaning, at least for me. Maybe English isn't your native language..?

Des you made me smile :)

I am not unkind, I will not reply in kind.

However you should be aware picking on persons is a form of bullying.
Therefore taking a step back. Composing ourself.

If we want to draw attention to something, perhaps with the intention to make things easier,
doing so in a way that's genial.

At the same time I understand for those that are friendless, loners, the forum is a refuge :
Therefore let it be a refuge. Let's not jump on others. Let's just be easy (like Sunday morning).

::::

Returning on topic :

App traffic first these days, thereafter Web .… particularly for unrecognised, starting out.
Thus presence on Instagram, Tumblr, Art Finder, Pinterest, SoundCloud, WordPress.

Business Insider link i mentioned on harnessing Instagram is a pointer.

SEO : so many are doing it .... it is as too many snouts in the trough.
Google frowns upon too many SEO tricks, have been known to "demote" sites.

Really the way is to build up a gathering of like minded on social media which will then drive traffic to website.
Being alternate, deviant, off beat, off kilter, interesting hookups mashups .... finding own angle.

Being a giver: giving of ourself : people notice = kudos.

On this forum those giving of their time to assist others have kudos :
likewise social media, givers are noticed.
Giving alternatively as Dan Kitchener giving through his street art.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 am

It wasn't a criticism, more an appeal:- I genuinely can't understand what you say much of the time.

Maybe it's just me.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby chris... » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 am

I recon Table has great stuff to say, but I must admit I rarely find the time needed to decrypt it.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scouser » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:16 pm

So Table, are you saying social media is the way to go, or have I decoded that wrong ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm

If you're targeting anything other than the aggressively young-and-trendy sector, Facebook is still very useful.

One particular project I'm helping to promote presently has a website and a Facebook page. The Facebook page gets 10X more hits than the website. Facebook seems to be the point of entry, then interested people are directed to the site for more detail. Using the existing common-interest networking of Facebook seems a lot more effecient than attracting "cold" contacts through a web search.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby tea for two » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:27 am

Scouser wrote:So Table, are you saying social media is the way to go, or have I decoded that wrong ?

:lol:

More than social media, necessary to relate to popular culture.

Colin Furze made Assassins Creed weapons 5million views :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFewdU0JcA

Were Colin just making metal stuff who cares.
Colin relating to popular culture : this is how to build up a following .... small pond in billion size big pond.

Colin keeps doing stuff that shows he's on the ball with current popular culture :
necessary to keep on updating our relating to popular culture, stagnating hints that we couldn't be bothered.

Also note by doing so Colin is a giver.

::::

Sorry Chris, Des sometimes decoding preferable to putting it on a plate :beamup:
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby sixtysixmix » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:18 pm

HI,

Your need to have social media accounts(twitter, facebook, instagram, etc) and be active on those, giving things away, useful comments and re-posts. That will bring you followers.

Your own domain would help a lot .. that URL is quite long.

Also get ready for mobile ... web traffic is now happening on mobile devices more and more .. soon 50%. If your website does not work and look good on a phone you will lose a lot of people in the first 5 seconds. (Also, google ranks mobile-ready sites higher)

So, a lot of work to do!
sixtysixmix
Regular
Producer/Mixer/composer Gear: Logic Pro X on a 2013 MacBookPro 16Gb Ram. External 4Tb drive. RND 5060, 2 x Apollo 8, Audient ASP880, Adam A7X monitors, Avantones, way too few mics.
Dublin studio build starting May 2017!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Google Plus is very important. Awful to use but get yourself on that pronto and you'll be amazed at how you leap up the natural search rankings on Google.

But these days, Google is getting so clever, relevant content is key. Make your site rammed with info about the topic in question...1500 or so words a page has been suggested, for example. Have relevant links in and out and a really relevant URL. Not as important as it used to be but still a good idea.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns