You are here

What band website builders do you guys use?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: What band website builders do you guys use?

Postby gerber » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:56 pm

I think these days, people rarely go to the website. If it's about growth and updates, we leverage social media for that but a website is also a good way for people to know more about the band and it's more professional if you have one.

For us, we use the hPage.com website builder. I find it quite good especially if you can't afford to hire a web developer or a web designer since you can build a website easily even without knowing how to code. There are also some business features and audience features which are useful in creating a connection between you and your audience. I think you can also create a free website there.

Here, check it out: Create a website - hPage.com
gerber
New here

Postby narcoszzz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:38 pm

I always search for website if there's a band I like. The news and other stuff. Looks like i'm in the minority. I usually avoid social media, too much "noise", comments and etc. Website is more special (built with some idea in mind), and I like black backgrounds.
narcoszzz
New here

Postby desmond » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Alan25 wrote:Desmond - your comment intrigues me. When you say 'roll your own' do you mean building a CMS from scratch or using one of the simpler alternatives to the likes of wordpress, joomla etc?

Sorry, I missed this before. Yes, I mean building my own from scratch, or from semi-scratch.

There's a nice CMS-type system I've sometimes used called Directus, which basically creates a back-end admin CMS from a set of database tables, so you get a back end admin system without having to build all that complexity, and the front end is left totally up to you, without any given CMS's ideas on how to structure or display your content, which has worked quite nicely for my needs for some projects.

Alan25 wrote:If you don't mind my asking which approach did you use for mu:zines as the site looks great but there must be a lot of content behind it.

That is a completely custom CMS built from scratch specifically for mu:zines. I basically started with the minimum feature set I needed to get things going, and continued to add to it as I needed new features and capabilities...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 am

I write all my html from the ground up and have gone over to a very simple design. There is so much energy generated powering web pages, with unnecessary images, videos etc. that I have gone in the other direction. My website is for information only:

There are no Youtube videos or Soundcloud tracks embedded because up to eighteen cookies (including tracking cookies) are also loaded, whether or not you click on them.

There are no images as these are unnecessary.

There is no information collected, even the number of page views is not recorded.

The web site and email is hosted by a carbon neutral ISP.

Postby seanmichaels » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:51 am

I personally like Wordpress for building all kinds of websites.
seanmichaels
New here

Postby RSWOnline » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:17 am

Some people have said that websites aren't important anymore. I disagree, I think they are as important as ever. It is a hub for everything you do. Social media is also important and is becoming more important everyday but I would certainly make sure you have a functional website.

Our recording studio website can be found at https://www.rittenhousesoundworks.com
It is not the best but we are working on it.

-Matthew
RSWOnline
Matthew
Rittenhouse SoundWorks
https://www.rittenhousesoundworks.com

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:53 am

To website or not to website...?

IMO it's not always a 'yes/no' consideration. It depends very much on your style of music and the demographic of your "fans". Most of the artists I'm interested in have a website and use FB.

Soap-box Alert! As it happens I think that FB and similar platforms are the Devil's Curse and I took the decision a couple of years ago just to walk away. Sure, I've missed out with contact with people who really are friends and not the FB abomination of the term. I've met too many people who's kids' lives have been screwed up by FB that I decided I didn't want to be further fodder for Mr Zuckerberg's money-machine. I know a few more people (not many admittedly) who've done the same. So if you want to get my attention you'll need a website!

Our final hymn is...

:)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm another Mike, I have nothing to do with FB, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp or any other social media.
I do have a straightforward website which is only for listing my classical works that people may (or may not) be interested in.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 pm

RSWOnline wrote:Our recording studio website can be found at https://www.rittenhousesoundworks.com
It is not the best but we are working on it.

I like your website, my only (unasked) for comment is I missed a complete gear list - e.g. backline etc.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:50 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I personally like Wordpress for building all kinds of websites.

So do I, I've currently got 6 websites running under Wordpress. But this popularity comes at a cost, and that is more blackhats target Wordpress than just about any other CMS. So make sure you keep your installations up to date.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby seanmichaels » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm

I already posted in this thread, but I feel the need to add a little more to what's already been said. The debate is simple: to build a website for your band or not.

Arguments for include: complete ownership of platform, ability to capture email leads, ability to create your own merchandise store, it's authoritative, traffic from Google hits your website and not a social account, etc.

Arguments against include: no one cares, social media is where it's at, it's a waste of time, websites were cool in the 90s (I have no idea where this insane idea came from), etc.

I feel that your artist website is your main hub where you want to try to direct followers from all your social platforms to. It's your website, you own it and all the content. There is no risk in a particular social media website shutting down.

Remember Vine? It was the 7-second video sharing app that twitter bought. Once twitter realized that it wasn't profitable, they shut it down. Panicked content creators on Vine quickly advised their followers to move to their new Instagram page or YouTube channel. This is just one example of how just leveraging social media exclusively can be a risk to your business.

Google search. Let's pretend your act is (or will be) very popular.

In this scenario, your fans type your band name into Google's search 20,000 times a month. Would you rather Facebook get all the traffic or your website? I'd opt for my website since I can potentially capture their email and sell merchandise/music right from my website. It doesn't help my Facebook page to get that traffic since these fans are most likely already following the account. This is where the real power of owning a website comes from.

Imagine the searcher types in "band name + merch" also. You'd want your website to be #1 for that query if your band sold merch online.

Overall, I think it requires content and constant activity on all fronts. You need to be active on your social accounts every day and push fans to your website when applicable. When my band started, we didn't bother with a website initially, but it was something we eventually got around to.

As far as website builders go, Wordpress seems to work great for all the sites I've worked on, but it does have its flaws. Wordpress is the most targeted CMS from what I know. I've had malware, been hacked a few times, and learned a lot about website security in the process.

I currently am using Siteground to host my website. I've tried Host Gator and others, but I think I'm pretty happy for the time being. There's Wix and Squarespace also, but I'm not too excited about the limited customization.

I also found this for more info on decent hosts for bands: https://drummingreview.com/best-website ... musicians/
seanmichaels
New here

Postby audio_fre@k » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:43 pm

website is definitely needed this days, is a must have to present your self in www
wordpress seems to be very nice choice, no need to have advance web building knowledge to use it
just my 2 cents
audio_fre@k
New here
maybe you want to check film sound berlin