You are here

Videos: facebook or youtube, or both?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Videos: facebook or youtube, or both?

Postby sound_mix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 pm

You have nothing to loose and in my opinion you should do this on both. Create new page with videos and add new random people, so they can see your videos. Send links of your video to your friends, so maybe they can send it to some more people. I belive the best Idea to do is to create the website and upload the videos, images, news. If you need a help let me know:-)
sound_mix

Postby The Bunk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:03 pm

I'd say "both" too but my experience - I just do home-made tongue in cheek music videos but with decently (IMO!) produced music - is that people aren't going to watch a 3 or 4 minute video on FB; somebody's mentioned the "attention" span of around 3 seconds above. As per several other comments too, a picture of my curry from Saturday night or a stupid sign in the street gets a lot more views / likes than a video. A few of my "music mates" would watch it but other "friends" would move on until they get to a picture of a cat. YouTube gets me far more views. Maybe people go to Youtube specifically for something whereas Facebook is more of a quick browse?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 am

The Bunk wrote:Maybe people go to Youtube specifically for something whereas Facebook is more of a quick browse?

I'd agree with that - you can assume anyone visiting Youtube wants to look at video content, whereas on FB many users rarely stray beyond clicking on the Like button a few dozen times and then logging out again :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby gerber » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:09 pm

For SEO purposes, Youtube is your friend when it comes to posting videos. The algorithm of Facebook has changed so much. First of all, you need lots of fans to like your page. Second, when you post a video there, not all people who like your page will see it. The "fans" will have to engage with you first. If there are people who don't engage with your page, they won't see it in their timeline.

I think Youtube is still kind when it comes to videos but you can also post on Facebook for updates for your regular fans.
gerber
New here

Postby paul tha other » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm

i find this facebook odd...i spent years using it to no effect..did it make my gigs busier..nope...did i sell more copies of my songs..nope..as far as i can see, its a game and its set up so you keep poking it meanwhile nothing else gets done...it makes you busy doing nothing
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:38 pm

I find it good for making people aware of stuff but, as you say, it doesn't seem to drive action in anyone.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 am

paul tha other wrote:i find this facebook odd...i spent years using it to no effect..did it make my gigs busier..nope...did i sell more copies of my songs..nope..as far as i can see, its a game and its set up so you keep poking it meanwhile nothing else gets done...it makes you busy doing nothing

Yep, I'm coming to the same conclusion about FB. It's a good way to keep up to date with what your friends are doing, but I nearly always find there's a huge gulf between what I deem acceptable to promote my own music (the occasional post and then being highly attentive to any replies and responding to them), and what plenty of others seem to do (copy/pasted promotional posts by the bucketload to multiple destinations each and every time they want to plug a gig/release/family event).

I suspect I'm too sensitive ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 am

I think the problem there Martin is that the way that Facebook's algorithms work is that a single post will now only reach about 10% of your friends/fans. Unless you pay for promotion.
So the alternative is to plaster your promotion everywhere in the hope that some of it will creep out beyond the initial bubble.
I saw an interesting infographic a couple of years ago that showed how long content was discoverable on various platforms.
Hold on a tic.
Here we go: https://www.sprocketwebsites.com/Blog/h ... cial-media
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:55 am

Thanks for that informative link Drew - no wonder I don't get a lot of feedback to some of my FB posts, given that:

"Facebook posts last 5 hours, while Twitter posts last a mere 18 minutes. There is such a large amount of content being posted on these channels that you’ll have to fight to keep up. This means posting 2-4 times a day on Facebook and anywhere from 3-10 times a day on Twitter. The more interest you want, the more you’ll have to post."

I suspect I'll have to start considering Facebook posts like a cup of tea - once it's cold you should abandon it and boil a new post ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby OneWorld » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:
CS70 wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:Both. No question. Just watched your latest video on you tube, there's no way I'd have clicked on a FB link to view it.

All good points, appreciated. A question - why wouldn't you have clicked on it on FB?

Hope you did like the song. B. B. was one of a kind. Still can't believe he's gone.
Facebook may have refined their options regarding what you see & what notifications you get since I left, as Agharta implies, but I won't be re-joining to find out. I left FB pretty much as everyone else joined, it wasn't that I didn't understand the options, back then the option was all or nothing. But I know people who's lives are defined by FB, & if other people knowing your business and you knowing theirs is important to you, fine. However, I have no interest in gossip, and no need to share what I have or where I've been, with anyone I don't see regularly. Band pages, club pages, social, political & business pages I understand, but friend pages just aren't for me. There are links between FB use & clinical depression because people see 10 'friends' on exotic holidays, 20 'friends' are out partying, & another 5 showing off some major purchase. Sadly their brain filters out the 275 sat in watching Netflix with a chippy tea arguing over who empties the dishwasher.

The problem with viewing a video such as yours on FB is that if you're not signed in, you're subjected to periodic nagware to sign up, which eventually becomes almost full-screen after you've declined a couple of times. With YT & AdBlockPlus I just click & enjoy it in relative anonymity. Maybe I'm becoming more cautious about what data I'm willing to share.

And yes, I did like the video, a lot.

Same here, FB, with its hassleware is akin to walking in downtown Shanghai where the massage parlour pimps swarm around you like mozzies on steroids, gets right on your pip, I'll join FB when I want to, not because $uckerberg cajoles me into submission
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I’m reading a book that explains all the more popular social media (I don’t remember books being so heavy!) in the introduction it says in the past minute 700,000 people have logged into Facebook, 20 million messages exchanged on WhatsApp, 1 million people swiped on Tinder, 347,222 have tweeted, 527,760 have shared photos on Snapchat, 150 million emails have been sent. Instagram and YouTube video views are another million. Per minute? Cripes.

By end of day 40% of the adult US population will have gotten most of their news from Facebook. (Yes I’m biting my tongue about this factoid) This book was printed last year, 2017. I’m assuming some of the numbers were close to being accurate.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:41 pm

And everything has an advert at the beginning now. But what I really hate is when video's randomly cut to an advert mid stream with no regard to the content (though TBF that also happens on TV where halfway through a scene in a film you'll find yourself watching an ad for washing powder, everything now is truly a soap opera.....).

I do understand the need for advertising but I'd be much more likely to take notice of it if it was more sympathetic to the program content.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way. Let’s say ads = content then what is currently considered content is what is interfering with the flow of ads. Consequently if we all become ads then those things which we want to be seen by many will be. Except there will be minor interruptions to us reaching people by bits of disjointed content.
I better go lie down now.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 am

That's actually a very good marketing lesson right there.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby job » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 am

Google (and Facebook) are ad companies. The content is just there to attract eyeballs, which they then stick an ad in front of.

I think i'd focus on Instagram and Youtube if i was trying to promote band videos. Instagram for more timely updates and then the Youtube videos are an extension to the Instagram photos for those who find said photos interesting.
job
Regular

Previous