You are here

Videos: facebook or youtube, or both?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Videos: facebook or youtube, or both?

Postby CS70 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 am

Just wondering.. both channels are important to market music, especially for new acts, but lately I have the feeling that FB videos are gaining the upper hand, in terms of distribution and audience.

YouTube monetization has audio recognition so it brings some (minuscule) amount of cash; FB, insofar I know, not yet (but haven't checked recently). But FB video seem to have gain large audiences more easily.

So, when you've spent money and time and effort to make a video, do you upload it on YouTube? Facebook? Both?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Videos: facebook or youtube, or both?

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:58 am

Both. No question. Just watched your latest video on you tube, there's no way I'd have clicked on a FB link to view it. I was an early adopter of FB & probably one of the first to leave, but progressively more & more people of a certain vintage are abandoning it. I think the crossover of FB & YT users is getting narrower, so it would be daft to abandon either unless you know precisely what demographic you're targetting.

Your video made me think of the first time I heard BB King, of seeing him dominate a stage live whilst scarcely moving, and of rolling out of his club in Beale Street, slaughtered on themed cocktails & Sam Addams looking for the Peacock. In short, all good experiences.

What it didn't tell me however, was who's feeling rough & is probably gonna phone in sick tomorrow, who's toddler just did a runny poo, or where to see a hilarious cat video. Neither was I invited to 'chat' with someone I've spent all day avoiding. All depressing stuff. But I appreciate there are people who find knowing this stuff essential, so I think posting there is vital, but posting on both isn't necessarily duplication.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby ore_terra » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:01 am

Both! I observe the oposite: people watch it more in fb, but you still need youtube to link it

The Petra Flowers
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:02 pm

ore_terra wrote:Both! I observe the oposite: people watch it more in fb, but you still need youtube to link it

...right, wondered if I'd missed something. I usually upload to YouTube and promote on places including FB.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:43 pm

You can upload directly to Facebook, and it's useful for sharing to existing fans, but most people won't search facebook for new videos. Youtube is the main starting point for people looking for new music.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Agreed - I always upload to YouTube, and then link to the YT video on Facebook.

Unlike the SOS Forums, when a Youtube link currently doesn't make the video window appear automatically (although it's on the bug list to be resolved), on Facebook it appears immediately.

The only advantage I can see of uploading a video to FB directly is that it can then be remembered in your dedicated FB Videos page section, to be more easily found by strangers in the months to come.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks all, great thoughts! I've always uploaded to YT (well, we've done only three proper videos so far) but I kinda felt that FB was coming up and I was missing on some marketing potential.
You'd just confirmed it: doesn't harm do to both actually, maybe waiting a few weeks for the FB "native" video.

On to uploading to FB! :D

Cheers,

-Cris
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 pm

FB video plays automatically... people see stuff moving and THEN clicks on it

The Petra Flowers
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:16 am

Some stats came up at work the other day. Average play length for a facebook video is around 3 seconds and 97% of them are played with no sound.
Good for letting people you have a video but youtube is better for people actually watching it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ore_terra » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Yep... it's like somebody said above: if you're making the video for your facebook fans, fb own video. To link it for prom purposes, etc, youtube.

The Petra Flowers
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Both. No question. Just watched your latest video on you tube, there's no way I'd have clicked on a FB link to view it.

All good points, appreciated. A question - why wouldn't you have clicked on it on FB?

Hope you did like the song. B. B. was one of a kind. Still can't believe he's gone.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:.... What it didn't tell me however, was who's feeling rough & is probably gonna phone in sick tomorrow, who's toddler just did a runny poo, or where to see a hilarious cat video.

I see comments like this every now and then and put it down to the users not understanding how to make FB useful to them.
The first rule for me is not to follow individuals unless they use FB in a particularly interesting way which means I follow hardly anyone.
This way you see nothing of their posts (cats etc) in your timeline so unless you visit their timeline manually you aren't bothered by them.
I tend to follow a few groups or activity pages linked to my interests which gives me a nice feed of relevant topics and only a few a day as I don't want an avalanche of info.
Then occasionally I go off piste and look at some auto recommended links which relate to my interests and browse a few friends' timelines briefly.
The whole thing doesn't consume much time and the signal to noise ratio is very good and I find it genuinely informative and inspiring as that's the kind of stuff I subscribe to.

Dynamic Mike wrote:.... Neither was I invited to 'chat' with someone I've spent all day avoiding. All depressing stuff.

You can disable chat completely or just for certain friends so that's easy to take care of.

I find FB a useful tool which is why I'm taking time to share this as I think your dismissal is based on not understanding the basics of how to use it.
Like many things in life if you use the default settings it won't meet your needs but with a bit of minor basic tweaking it becomes a very different experience.

Added. Turn off the setting to auto-play videos as I think that is a feature and if so you can definitely turn it off. I do this on most sites that play videos.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 am

CS70 wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:Both. No question. Just watched your latest video on you tube, there's no way I'd have clicked on a FB link to view it.

All good points, appreciated. A question - why wouldn't you have clicked on it on FB?

Hope you did like the song. B. B. was one of a kind. Still can't believe he's gone.
Facebook may have refined their options regarding what you see & what notifications you get since I left, as Agharta implies, but I won't be re-joining to find out. I left FB pretty much as everyone else joined, it wasn't that I didn't understand the options, back then the option was all or nothing. But I know people who's lives are defined by FB, & if other people knowing your business and you knowing theirs is important to you, fine. However, I have no interest in gossip, and no need to share what I have or where I've been, with anyone I don't see regularly. Band pages, club pages, social, political & business pages I understand, but friend pages just aren't for me. There are links between FB use & clinical depression because people see 10 'friends' on exotic holidays, 20 'friends' are out partying, & another 5 showing off some major purchase. Sadly their brain filters out the 275 sat in watching Netflix with a chippy tea arguing over who empties the dishwasher.

The problem with viewing a video such as yours on FB is that if you're not signed in, you're subjected to periodic nagware to sign up, which eventually becomes almost full-screen after you've declined a couple of times. With YT & AdBlockPlus I just click & enjoy it in relative anonymity. Maybe I'm becoming more cautious about what data I'm willing to share.

And yes, I did like the video, a lot.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:The problem with viewing a video such as yours on FB is that if you're not signed in, you're subjected to periodic nagware to sign up, which eventually becomes almost full-screen after you've declined a couple of times. With YT & AdBlockPlus I just click & enjoy it in relative anonymity. Maybe I'm becoming more cautious about what data I'm willing to share.

Appreciated, thanks! A good reason,nothing to do about FB's invasive ways, alas.

As an aside, I've just set up and sent an ipad to my mother (whose computer skills are in the negative) to be able to share picture etc. I've fiddled with facebook (the idea was to be able to share moments with her) and made an account for her, but the platform was so annoying in keeping asking questions she has no way to understand that I actually deactivated all notifications. So right now it's only facetime and photo sharing.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:29 pm

We tend to see higher real-time figures via Facebook as it just tends to spread virally whilst broadcasting, but the archive only scores views via Youtube.

So both.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby johnny h » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm

FB give much greater "reach" (which is how many people get to see your post) to native content than external links.

In my experience youtube is much more important as its a permanent link to your work. If you are releasing something then it can be worth boosting the post.

FB videos are worth doing once the activity on the youtube post has died out.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:01 pm

johnny h wrote:FB give much greater "reach" (which is how many people get to see your post) to native content than external links.

In my experience youtube is much more important as its a permanent link to your work. If you are releasing something then it can be worth boosting the post.

FB videos are worth doing once the activity on the youtube post has died out.

Indeed, that's exactly how I reasoned. Re-posted a previous video on FB and got actually a very good reach.

Thx!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby steadyeddie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:32 pm

All these channels (not forgeting VIMEO) are free! FREE!!

So I would have thought that once the time consuming element of creating and editing you video has been completed it would be a small matter to spend a few minutes uploading to all available channels and increasing the potential reach.
steadyeddie
New here

Going Steady - Just Like Eddie

Postby johnny h » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:59 am

steadyeddie wrote:All these channels (not forgeting VIMEO) are free! FREE!!

So I would have thought that once the time consuming element of creating and editing you video has been completed it would be a small matter to spend a few minutes uploading to all available channels and increasing the potential reach.
Facebook is not "free" exactly. Your data is bought and sold and your "reach" is deliberately manipulated to encourage you to pay to promote posts.

That said, there are various strategies to maximise your reach. Paying to promote posts is sometimes worth it if you have something to sell. A new record .. a new tour .. etc
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 am

Well, for what matters to this topic, totally agreed. Use both haha.

The Petra Flowers
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Next