You are here

Online composer dilemma

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Online composer dilemma

Postby petev3.1 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:16 pm

All good stuff, Red Bladder, and you know what you're talking about, but quite daunting and for the sake of the OP's optimism it could be said to be a bit OTT for someone looking at AudioJungle.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed May 03, 2017 12:27 pm

petev3.1 wrote: it could be said to be a bit OTT for someone looking at AudioJungle.
Aim high and you might get somewhere!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:OK, let's go -

1. Use Reaper, not CuBase. CuBase is expensive and is not as good, especially for a first-timer like you, as Reaper. I have a studio that cost about one million Euros to build and equip. Our customers demand all sorts of software and I have access to anything and everything your heart could desire, but I only edit and mix nowadays in Reaper.

5. You are in the movie business

7. Find your rising star now! Find that local, young director that is making proper movies that stand out and offer to work for 'points-on-gross' - i.e. a percentage of the movie's gross turnover. (NB, no movie has ever made a profit, so points-on-net means you get nothing, but sometimes the learning experience

10. Never get involved in a gritty urban drama - they all lose money and ruin your reputation in the process! If the script has lines like "Look out- he's got a knife!" and "Dad, I'm pregnant!" return it with a polite smile.

Good luck!

I have to chime in here too. I mostly agree with RB's points but have a different view than the above.
Reaper? cubase? Find the one that works for you. Make sure it is easy to get your files into your notation program. You will be spending hours and hours hunched over your DAW of choice. I would also add learn Pro Tools basics as it is possible you will mostly be delivering your final mixes in a Pro Tools format.

About being in the movie BUSINESS. You will have to learn contracts, sync rights, publishing, master use licenses and a million other business related details. You have to be a good schmoozer to land a job. You can never mess up with any of the practical details for music delivery. You have to bury your ego when being asked for music changes even if you are working on variation 8 of the same cue. You have to learn the film language. You have to be a team player but you also have to learn when to fight for a cue you believe in (and not get fired)

Working for points? I say no way. You are a professional, well on your way to that goal, and should be paid a front end fee and retain the publishing so you might see some back end money from your performing rights organization. What you create has value and the producer/director should acknowledge that fact. Every year in North America there are literally thousands of people graduating from film and tv music courses. I don't know the European scene. They all want to work and they all will work for less than the other person. It's literally a race to the bottom in terms of composer fees. Budgets are dropping everywhere, especially composer fees because there is always somebody who will do the music for cheaper, some even pay musicians from their own pockets. This lowers the bar for all of us. And for RB - this means composers can no longer afford your fantastic studio.

Urban drama? I've made my career on those and even horror films which are a great opportunity to do some wonderful exploration of unusual orchestral and electronic colours. All paths are different.

I would discourage you from following the media composers path. It's really difficult to find any work and tougher to find good projects. If you are compelled to do this then you will but you have a lot of research to do.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby 3tonal » Wed May 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Hello again guys!

Thank You so so much for making so much effort to clarify those things to me!

Truth is that I have long way to go before I can compose for a film…

After a process of necessary learnig, my first step will be – “conquest” of music libraries (non-exclusive and exclusive ones) and composition projects that can be found on freelancer sites - like Upwork. And we`ll see…things will come up one way or another…

Joy of musical creation should not be disturbed, in the end – this is the point, isn`t it? I say this as a composer - don’t let this happen…

One question – do You find keyboard workstation (such as Yamaha MOXF8 for e.g.) useful in musical production and composing on this manner?
3tonal
New here

Previous