You are here

'All About Library Music' article

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

'All About Library Music' article

Postby Russell Cornfoot » Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi,

A newbie so please be gentle with me!

I saw the 'All about library music' article on the website today. However, only 10% of it was readable due to the fact I am not a subscriber (yet!). Being a keen amateur composer and organist, this library music idea is quite an interesting concept and I would certainly like to know more.

With this in mind, I saw the picture of the splendidly ornate, Ca.15th Century library interior at the head of the article and it prompted me to pop down to my own (somewhat less impressive) local library in order to obtain further information on the subject. I like to go there most days; I do read alot and yes, some music would indeed liven the place up.

However, upon my asking: 'how do I get to write music for a library?' I was met with a fair degree of bewilderment - perhaps even bordering on contempt, as the chief librarian pointed out to me (quite sternly I have to say) that most libraries require noise levels 'be kept to an absolute minimum'. Somewhat confused, I can only assume that 'library music' has not reached Bilston yet.

Perhaps someone could provide a list of libraries in the West Midlands locale whose staff are perhaps a little more up to date and who DO require music?

Many thanks in advance,

Russell.
Russell Cornfoot

Re: 'All About Library Music' article

Postby C-Dogg » Thu May 04, 2017 11:14 am

Very good :)
C-Dogg
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Russell Cornfoot, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

And, may I say, thank you for giving me a chortle with your touching story :bouncy:

I suspect you'll fit in here perfectly :lol:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Scramble » Fri May 05, 2017 11:04 am

Try these West Midland places, they'll be more receptive:
Sutton Coldfield
Rowley Regis
Old Oscott
Rubery
Cotton Hackett
Lickey
Lydiate Ash
Tardebigge
Clayhanger
Mustow Greene
Wonbourne
Bloxwich
Maxstoke
Nether Whitaker
Shustoke
Cold Ashby
Berkswell
Fen End
and especially: Gospel End
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Russell Cornfoot » Fri May 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Thank you. That is very helpful.

A library article was long overdue.
Russell Cornfoot

Postby petev3.1 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:04 pm

On a slightly serious note, for CDs with low sales it's worth remembering that your local library service will usually buy a few.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby Chaconne » Wed May 10, 2017 9:09 pm

John Cage had that market all sown up, it is saturated now with copyists offering cheeky soundalikes, but not close enough to sue, versions of 4'33
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby den83 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Chaconne wrote:John Cage had that market all sown up, it is saturated now with copyists offering cheeky soundalikes, but not close enough to sue, versions of 4'33

Slightly OT but would you believe I lost a job because of 4'33? Yes, Indeed I did!

True story.
den83
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Well that gets good marks on the "SOS first post" historical scale... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:39 pm

den83 wrote:
Chaconne wrote:John Cage had that market all sown up, it is saturated now with copyists offering cheeky soundalikes, but not close enough to sue, versions of 4'33

Slightly OT but would you believe I lost a job because of 4'33? Yes, Indeed I did!

True story.

Come on den83 - we need to hear more (seriously, not cage-ily ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby den83 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am

Martin Walker wrote:
den83 wrote:

True story.

Come on den83 - we need to hear more (seriously, not cage-ily ;) )

Martin

Sure thing Martin but it's not very exciting - ooh and when I say 'lost a job' I really mean 'didn't get a job'.

Well, quite a few years ago (late 90s) in a moment of severe desperation, I decided I wanted to be a lecturer. This resulted in me applying for a job at a certain small-ish institution (a college not a Uni). I think it may have been a Music Technology/Music Production course, something like that.

Came the day of the interview and it turns out the head honcho music chappy on the panel was very much into contemporary music with Cage being his speciality.

Let's rewind a bit here...

A few months prior to this I had embarked on a PhD in Experimental Modern Music as I had convinced myself this was very, very, very, very, very fascinating. However, 6 months in, on the summit of a Scottish mountain and with a renewed mental clarity, it suddenly occurred to me that all this plinkety-plonk modernism (that sounds like a cutlery set being chucked down a lift shaft) was in fact, utter tosh. So I very quickly knocked the PhD on it's head. In fact, I turned rebel and took to ridiculing it at every opportunity.

So back to the interview (which I think was going quite well up until this point)...

Interviewer: "And what do you think of Cage's 4'33?"

Me: "To be honest I think it's a joke. He's having a laugh" (accompanied by cheeky grin).

...The sound of tumbleweed tumbling through a dusty windswept desert...

Interviewer: "Ahem...erm, well, thanks for coming in we'll be in touch"

The mood had changed very suddenly. It was like admitting to being a Man Utd fan in a Liverpool pub.

The next day they phoned to tell me I hadn't got the job but also provided feedback. Indeed that Cage answer was what had really put them off as I had demonstrated a) some immaturity and b) a total lack of understanding for the true artistic and philosophical intentions of the composer (I think Mr. Cage wants us to appreciate the silence around us or something silly like that.)

The rejection was quite hard to take at the time and prompted me to knock that particular career aspiration on the head and do something else.

I would have liked the opportunity to thank Mr. Cage because I would have been a really terrible lecturer. I wouldn't have lasted 4'33'' doing that.
den83
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:08 pm

den83 wrote:Slightly OT but would you believe I lost a job because of 4'33? Yes, Indeed I did!

Martin Walker wrote:Come on den83 - we need to hear more (seriously, not cage-ily ;) )

den83 wrote:Sure thing Martin but it's not very exciting - ooh and when I say 'lost a job' I really mean 'didn't get a job'.

...So back to the interview (which I think was going quite well up until this point)...

Interviewer: "And what do you think of Cage's 4'33?"

Me: "To be honest I think it's a joke. He's having a laugh" (accompanied by cheeky grin).

If only you had given a little more detail, demonstrating your huge background knowledge of the subject to back up your seemingly flippant response :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby cbmtrx » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Howdy. I had a burning question after reading Dan Graham's articles (tried finding his Twitter handle to ask him directly but, wisely, I think he's not on Twitter).

My question is: what is the purpose of writing and approaching sound libraries with an "album" of music? Graham kept mentioning "albums" and I'm not sure if I understand the rationale for that (I think he even mentioned album art). When I submit to music libraries I usually produce a handful of tracks in the same vein, but I've never submitted them as "an album".

Is it because:

- licensing companies want a collection of similar tracks in one genre/style by a single composer?

- licensing companies want to market the album as a standalone "album of music" for consumers (ie: not for producers; Audiosparx does this)?

- it makes a bunch of related tracks seem more professional?

Dying to know...
cbmtrx

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 pm

I guess den83 answers the question of who would actually buy the score for 4’33" A professor and any of the poor students in his classes so they could read along.

I’ve seen it for sale and often wondered.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)