You are here

cd baby vs. cd baby pro, experiences

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

cd baby vs. cd baby pro, experiences

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Anyone using CD Baby Pro? Since a month or so ago it's available in Norway, and wonder what would be the benefits (i.e. additional income) in joining.

We are already associated with the local PRO (Tono) and music and lyrics writers already get royalties whenever we gig, and another (GRAMO) that covers radio playing and in general royalties from any artist playing our music. CD Baby should already be collecting syncing royalties (including YouTube, I think).

Anyone knows what CD baby Pro would add to that? An extension to international markets of radio playing royalties?

Of course the question can be posed to CD baby, but maybe someone here has already experience in the matter and the answers here could be a little more neutral. :)

Thanks!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: cd baby vs. cd baby pro, experiences

Postby BigRedX » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:58 am

Sorry, I didn't reply to this sooner - I read it when you first posted but didn't have the time it would take to make a reply and then forgot about it until today.

Anyway the short answer is, if you are already a member of a PRO then AFAICS there is no benefit to getting the Pro version of CD Baby for your releases.

Longer answer: When The Terrortones were getting ready to release their album, Mr Venom, who organises our digital distribution signed us up for CD Baby Pro for that release only. However when I was looking at the additional benefits, it seemed that there were none if you were already a member of a PRO which we were. CD Baby themselves were very evasive when questioned on this, and when I finally got as close to a straight answer as I could from them, it turned out that my suspicions were justified, and we, after a lot more wrangling were able to cancel our album as a Pro release and get it under the standard CD Baby agreement.

It seems to me that CD Baby Pro is aimed at artists who either don't understand the benefits of being with a PRO or who can't afford the individual membership. Certainly releasing our album under CD Baby Pro would be cheaper than a standard release plus the cost of all the writer members of the band joining the PRS. However in the long term IMO you are nearly always better off being a member of your country's PRO and getting your performance royalties that way.

Also IME most independent artists generate far more performance royalties from gigging than they do from internet streaming and other digital sources. In fact for the Terrortones our PRS income from gigging far outstrips all our digital sales completely.

HTH
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: cd baby vs. cd baby pro, experiences

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:05 am

BigRedX wrote:Sorry, I didn't reply to this sooner - I read it when you first posted but didn't have the time it would take to make a reply and then forgot about it until today.

Anyway the short answer is, if you are already a member of a PRO then AFAICS there is no benefit to getting the Pro version of CD Baby for your releases.

Thank you, much appreciated! It is indeed quite confusing on the cd baby site.

Terrortones is a vibey band name!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page