You are here

Royalites for producers

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Royalites for producers

Postby Kinh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:10 am

I've been reading some books about this and understand a producer is payed a share of artist royalty which is negotiated at around 20% (of what artists earn) But some of what Im reading claims there is a 'total' royalty, whatever that is and attempts to calculate the artist's earnings based on this.
So the question here is what does a producer earn in real terms given most (if not all) today co-write with the artist. I take it it's publishing + performance + sync+ artist royalty. The book I'm reading now titled "What They'll Never Tell You About the Music Business, Third Edition" has confused the hell out of me with royalties using this 'total royalty' model. Ive never heard that term before.

I'm looking at producing independently, like many others where I'm selling the artist to the label and profiting from his/her earnings from that label (artist royalties) + the other streams of royalties mentioned. I'm just confused as to why there's no distinction between artist and publishing royalties.
Kinh
Regular

Re: Royalites for producers

Postby ken long » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Some good info here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/music-busin ... -producers

Producers tend to work for points (percentages). Every deal is different and these deals and dependent amongst other things on the producer's pull factor at that particular time.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.