You are here

Unhappy SoundCloud

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 pm

The current 64,000 dollar question : what do we use instead?

I don't have anything on there which would be a loss if vanished, but it would be nice to know who to check out
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4687
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 pm

den83 wrote:Any decent alternatives to soundcloud?

HearThis.At might be worth a look? Germany-based. Started in 2013. It offers many similar features as SC, though their free 1GB of uploads account does have a maximum 'listens' and 'downloads' restriction (but it gets reset every Sunday, I understand).

Free account only allows MP3 upload files, but Premium paid-for account removes this restriction.

Last time I investigated, their annual sub was 33 euros, or 4 euros per month. (You have to create a free account and log in before you see upgrade pricing.)

https://hearthis.at
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
den83 wrote:Any decent alternatives to soundcloud?

HearThis.At might be worth a look? Germany-based. Started in 2013. It offers many similar features as SC, though their free 1GB of uploads account does have a maximum 'listens' and 'downloads' restriction (but it gets reset every Sunday, I understand).

Free account only allows MP3 upload files, but Premium paid-for account removes this restriction.

Last time I investigated, their annual sub was 33 euros, or 4 euros per month. (You have to create a free account and log in before you see upgrade pricing.)

https://hearthis.at

Really? And can you also point me in the direction of a replacement for SOS should the need never arrive, thought not.

Missing the point or maybe it's just me, i dunno, i guess it maybe personal how we see these things.

Lots of big Dance names and labels A+R stuff on there, upload it to 'em and they'll release it if good enough, Calvin 'arris und Slippin' etc do this... it's a cool site cos nowt's forced upon you... classical musicians could... any bod bleedin' could.. it's nice to 'ave it all in one dead simple place, innit or, er, innit not?

Me I don't dig deep, it's just a personal storage/promotion/sharing site, not so for others, every bod does it differently, my thing's youtube cos i do vid's, but soundcloud does wot it says on the tin, there is no alternative to Sound On Sound...

SOS
Guest

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm

LdashD, I didn't say that HearThis.At was an exact replacement for SoundCloud. There is a lot of similarity in function, IMHO. I was merely proffering an answer to den83's query.

SOS has a lot of files on SC and we would definitely not like to see them disappear!

SOS ran an article back in 2010 promoting SoundCloud to our audience, which helped it gain some traction with home recordists, producers, sound engineers in its infancy, and I totally love the fact that my PreSonus Studio One Professional DAW software of choice has a built-in upload to SC function, as I believe do Logic Pro and other programs. It lets me backup my musical doodlings and share private links, easily and conveniently.

I agree SC presents a unique offering, and every user/subscriber probably views what it offers differently, and values it in different ways. Same for SOS.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby den83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 pm

LdashD wrote:
upload it to 'em and they'll release it if good enough, Calvin 'arris und Slippin' etc do this... it's a cool site cos nowt's forced upon you... classical musicians could... any bod bleedin' could.. it's nice to 'ave it all in one dead simple place, innit or, er, innit not?


SOS

Eye up me duck, wharra if'n we all gann'in 'n gannered 'by 'ere in a canny way'n spoke in dialects that wurr all aburrt, well, we'll nay be botherin' whayeverer ye knaaa wayest ye gorra when n'reit on reit it oot in yer scribblin'. We'd all berrer off'n wiya subtitles, aye? Ahh canna tell wherevver the frig yer on aboot. Can yers talk proper like in yers posts?

innit?

Where's me scran, I'm clamming
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby den83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
den83 wrote:Any decent alternatives to soundcloud?

HearThis.At might be worth a look? Germany-based. Started in 2013. It offers many similar features as SC, though their free 1GB of uploads account does have a maximum 'listens' and 'downloads' restriction (but it gets reset every Sunday, I understand).

Free account only allows MP3 upload files, but Premium paid-for account removes this restriction.

Last time I investigated, their annual sub was 33 euros, or 4 euros per month. (You have to create a free account and log in before you see upgrade pricing.)

https://hearthis.at

Thanks for that, looks interesting! You'd think there would be more alternatives available.
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:01 am

I can’t stand other punters taste in music, so I’ve always been against playlists, especially Radio ones. I also like playing on a level field.

For instance, da Beeb’s iPlayer is offering just a few Glasto acts (well-known ones) for re-viewing at the mo’, none of which I’m interested in and none of them smashed it like Cabbage did, so why aren’t Cabbage (not very well-known) available as well, who decided for me and wot was their criteria?

Soundcloud could ask those wiv ridiculous amounts of stuff up, to maybe considerably help reduce their bandwidth, to delete a few of their magnum opuses.

A LPFC (level playing field chart) would comprise of all those tracks with the least plays, as they get plays they move down not up, it’s possible it could sort itself is it not and I believe the cream may eventually rise to the top too.


Forum Admin wrote:...SOS ran an article back in 2010 promoting SoundCloud to our audience, which helped it gain some traction with home recordists, producers, sound engineers in its infancy,

Hmm, pretty sure i remember it, cos that's def where I first 'eard about it (& similar) and duly signed up.

Not gonna compliment ya for doin’ yer job properly and thoroughly am I? Well done then, i wouldn't expect less from you lot, would I.
Guest

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am

den83 wrote:
Eye up me duck, wharra if'n we all gann'in 'n gannered 'by 'ere in a canny way'n spoke in dialects that wurr all aburrt, well, we'll nay be botherin' whayeverer ye knaaa wayest ye gorra when n'reit on reit it oot in yer scribblin'. We'd all berrer off'n wiya subtitles, aye? Ahh canna tell wherevver the frig yer on aboot. Can yers talk proper like in yers posts?

innit?

Where's me scran, I'm clamming

your welsh is excellent :lol: :lol:
User avatar
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Seville - Spain

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby den83 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:28 pm

ore_terra wrote:
den83 wrote:
Eye up me duck, wharra if'n we all gann'in 'n gannered 'by 'ere in a canny way'n spoke in dialects that wurr all aburrt, well, we'll nay be botherin' whayeverer ye knaaa wayest ye gorra when n'reit on reit it oot in yer scribblin'. We'd all berrer off'n wiya subtitles, aye? Ahh canna tell wherevver the frig yer on aboot. Can yers talk proper like in yers posts?

innit?

Where's me scran, I'm clamming

your welsh is excellent :lol: :lol:

Diolch yn fawr iawn!
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby den83 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

LdashD wrote:
'eard

doin’

Dude, surely it's easier to just type the letter? I find your lingo quite difficult 'cos when I read it I have Mike 'ranaraaaaahhhnd' Read's voice in my head. This is not a good thing you are causing to 'appen.
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 pm

+1 - the purpose of writing is to communicate. You ain't (sorry, are not) doing yourself any favours LdashD.


PS. Love the 'Psycho Killer' cover on your website and SoundCloud profile.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby BigRedX » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 pm

I've had to block LdashD because his "phonetic" typing plays havoc with my dyslexia.

Which is a pity, because I suspect that somewhere in all that affectation there are some important points trying to be made.
User avatar
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby den83 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 pm

BigRedX wrote:I've had to block LdashD because his "phonetic" typing plays havoc with my dyslexia.

Which is a pity, because I suspect that somewhere in all that affectation there are some important points trying to be made.

Indeed. Lash makes some good posts. I don't want to have too much of a go, it's just that when reading something, one has an internal voice which reads the text. My internal voice when reading Lash is Mike Reid. I have tried to make it Eric 'Crafty Cockney' Bristow but it just defaults back to Reidy. This is the problem.

If Lash could neutralize it just a tad it would be alot easier for us to reid.

(You see what I did there?).

Aaaanyway....I shall say no more...moving on...

Soundcloud alternatives. Oh yes.

I am currently researching this very subject as we speaketh.

BTW, as regards Soundcloud - am I right in thinking the ability to order one's tracks has been taken away unless you upgrade? I mean, this was doable until fairly recently wasn't it? Or was I imagining it?
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby awjoe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Hey, SOS - how about you guys starting a Soundcloud clone? You could call it 'Save Our Sounds'. Couple of servers, a techie and a web wrangler. Lovely little earner. What do you say?
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby den83 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:59 pm

awjoe wrote:Hey, SOS - how about you guys starting a Soundcloud clone? You could call it 'Save Our Sounds'. Couple of servers, a techie and a web wrangler. Lovely little earner. What do you say?

A most splendid idea!
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:16 pm

den83 wrote:...as regards Soundcloud - am I right in thinking the ability to order one's tracks has been taken away unless you upgrade? I mean, this was doable until fairly recently wasn't it? Or was I imagining it?

No. I just signed up for a free account and uploaded 3 tracks into a new playlist. Clicking the 3 dots icon at the left of the playlist allows you to select EDIT option.

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 15.10.40.jpg


This opens a popup box on-screen, and clicking on TRACKS across the top opens the, ta da!, track list. Hover over any track and you can click and drag that track up or down to a different location in your track order. Click SAVE, job done.

It works very well, and bulk uploaded my 2 very large WAV tracks and 1 MP3 simultaneously. What more can you expect of a free account?
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm

awjoe wrote:...Couple of servers, a techie and a web wrangler. Lovely little earner...

That's probably what SC thought, but they've yet to turn a profit. :(
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby den83 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
den83 wrote:...as regards Soundcloud - am I right in thinking the ability to order one's tracks has been taken away unless you upgrade? I mean, this was doable until fairly recently wasn't it? Or was I imagining it?

No. I just signed up for a free account and uploaded 3 tracks into a new playlist. Clicking the 3 dots icon at the left of the playlist allows you to select EDIT option.

WOW! It works! Thanks very much!! Been trying to do that for ages. Easy when you know how.
den83
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:02 pm

LdashD wrote:... da Beeb’s iPlayer is offering just a few Glasto acts (well-known ones) for re-viewing at the mo’, none of which I’m interested in and none of them smashed it like Cabbage did, so why aren’t Cabbage (not very well-known) available as well, who decided for me and wot was their criteria?

Think you answered your own question already. Cabbage are not included very possibly because they are "not very well-known". The BBC most likely chose which acts were put on iPlayer, though there might have been licensing restrictions for secondary viewing by Glasto's organisers, the bands and their management - just guessing.

LdashD wrote:A LPFC (level playing field chart) would comprise of all those tracks with the least plays, as they get plays they move down not up, it’s possible it could sort itself is it not and I believe the cream may eventually rise to the top too.

This is illogical, is it not? So you're saying you want a chart where anyone whose music gets 'plays' drops down that chart, right? On this basis, the bands/artists with zero plays on SoundCloud would be joint no.1 on this chart! :headbang: Bizarre...
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby Scramble » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
den83 wrote:...as regards Soundcloud - am I right in thinking the ability to order one's tracks has been taken away unless you upgrade? I mean, this was doable until fairly recently wasn't it? Or was I imagining it?

No. I just signed up for a free account and uploaded 3 tracks into a new playlist. Clicking the 3 dots icon at the left of the playlist allows you to select EDIT option.

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 15.10.40.jpg


This opens a popup box on-screen, and clicking on TRACKS across the top opens the, ta da!, track list. Hover over any track and you can click and drag that track up or down to a different location in your track order. Click SAVE, job done.

It works very well, and bulk uploaded my 2 very large WAV tracks and 1 MP3 simultaneously. What more can you expect of a free account?

But this is a playlist, not your actual separate tracks. What I'd like is the ability to change the order of the tracks themselves, not just the order of the tracks within a playlist, because a lot of people focus on the separate tracks, rather than any playlist that's been created. (Youtube has a similar problem -- most people go to the Videos page, where everything is in chronological order).

But I agree that it's a great service for a free one. That was the point I was making earlier -- the free service is too good, but the £60 (or £96) a year service doesn't give you enough extra (being able to change the track order is one useful feature, but it's not enough). Soundcloud need a lot of money coming in to pay for all that staff and those offices. A lot. They're clearly burning through all the money they've been getting from debt financing, and little else appears to be coming in. Plus they now have to pay royalties. Unless they can turn things around fast, this is not a long-term business. They either need to try lowering their prices, or adding some more features.

Edit: It looks like you can't even change your track order even with the paid options. All you can do is pin a track and playlist to the top. Just don't see the atrraction of the paid options. If you pay yearly you get a discount, but still, imagine paying for a specialized music website that doesn't even allow you to move your tracks around. Even MySpace could do that. Rubbish. What do all those 400 staff do?
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:00 am
 

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users